• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[project] Project 205 Xu13j4

B1ack_Mi16

Long time since any update.

Due to little cash flow I have not been able to get plates on my car, so it's mainly been standing in the garage.

However I've driven it a little and discovered oil seal behind flywheel to leak a bit, so that's now changed and engine is back in, just need to set the cam timing properly now.

I also had problems with very un-precise gear change and have now tried to fix that, will mount parts today.

The 3 balljointed rods are changed for homemade ones from steel, same as what Miles is selling I guess, which improved the gearchange quite a bit.

But I also wanted to do something to the bastardish L-bracket and the gear stick itself.

So.. I did this:

Turned a new centre for gearstick, thinner than the one that sits there already, and cutted the welds on the standard one.

CIMG1204.thumb.jpg

Bought some suitable needlebearings:

CIMG1205.thumb.jpg

Welded new centre to gearstick, and assembled with needle bearings and lots of pretension in the bolt, so now it seem to be 100% precise :)

CIMG1206.thumb.jpg

Also did the same to the L bracket, parts used

CIMG1208.thumb.jpg

Turned a small aluminium piece which was needed to let me pre tension the L bracket bolt properly without crushin the bearings

CIMG1209.thumb.jpg

And so on.... mounting it

CIMG1210.thumb.jpg

Then done, just gonna put a 10mm washer there now before I mount it to the car, it should hopefully work good and be precise B)

CIMG1211.thumb.jpg

That was all for now :D

B1ack_Mi16

Mounted parts to the car today and gearchange is very good indeed.

Very precise and easy movements.

Now there's very little slack in the gearstick, approx +-2.5mm to either side left/right, and forward/backwards from nominal zero position.

This slack I've sourced to inside the gearbox, as it's not the arms or axles that stick out from the box that's slack, it's more like something further in.

But doesn't bother opening the gearbox until next time the engine is coming out :)

DanteICE

I am interested about how you have fitted Brembo Calipers off the 406 Coupe onto 286mm discs?

B1ack_Mi16
I am interested about how you have fitted Brembo Calipers off the 406 Coupe onto 286mm discs?

It's bolt on really, just use 283x26mm discs from 307.

Calipers bols straight onto the standard mounting lugs on the hub.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

DanteICE
It's bolt on really, just use 283x26mm discs from 307.

Calipers bols straight onto the standard mounting lugs on the hub.

You talk about using spacers with your brembos, what are these spacers about?

B1ack_Mi16
You talk about using spacers with your brembos, what are these spacers about?

For the caliper not to hit the wheel.

Just a very few wheels will go into this setup without spacers.

One type is the nasty TSW Venom 16" ET15 ones.

DanteICE
For the caliper not to hit the wheel.

Just a very few wheels will go into this setup without spacers.

One type is the nasty TSW Venom 16" ET15 ones.

I'm looking at using the Brembos and standard GTI 1.9 Wheels 15", will they fit over?

Where do the spacers go?

Fox

What a project! Fantastic Work!

B1ack_Mi16
I'm looking at using the Brembos and standard GTI 1.9 Wheels 15", will they fit over?

Where do the spacers go?

Think it's been concluded the standard 15" wheels won't do it, not that I'm 100% sure but really don't think it will fit even with spacers. Spacers go between brakedisc and wheel.... Just do a search with 406 Brembo and I think you shall find lots of post about it.

What a project! Fantastic Work!

platty

I love a nice clean engine, one you could eat your dinner off, Excellent work

smighall

15" OZ Ultraleggera's fit over:

CIMG0837.jpg

DanteICE

Yeah I like this build alot, its well presented in the forums easy read and loads of cool stuff in it too.

Are those wheels fitted with spacers?

Where can you get spacers from and what is the best width? Without extra wide arches will it be too wide for the arches if fitted with 309 driveshafts and wishbones?

You said it affected the driving?

Sorry for all the questions, i've searched pretty much everything on the 406 brembos topics. I guess once all the infomation is collated we can put it as a sticky for everyone maybe?

Pictures would be great!

B1ack_Mi16

Not sure about the ultraleggeras, but the Venoms would fit under std arches with 205 wishbones and standard driveshafts, so possibly also with 309 ones as it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I use 15mm spacers on mine, that's with the PTS SL434's, but 10mm is really enough, but could only find 15mm spacers that were hubcentric, which really is preferable to center the wheel properly etc.

DanteICE

Hey Black, how long did it take to sandblast the whole of the underside? Im thinking of do it myself, obviously in stages, but I don't want to be without my car for too long.

Geoff

B1ack_Mi16
Hey Black, how long did it take to sandblast the whole of the underside? Im thinking of do it myself, obviously in stages, but I don't want to be without my car for too long.

Geoff

Can't really remember, but it really is timeconsuming when using small blaster equipment!

Mine only blasted area of approx 1x1cm where I pointed the gun.

DanteICE

Ouch, do you reckon I could do like a third of the underside in about 8 hours? Did you use a mask and respirator or is it not that volatile?

Once you have blasted the surface with the sander, can you then sweep up the sand and re-use it?

Geoff

TVH

Excellent work! Is it street legal now? Any more vids? The engine sound is so brutal that it actually scares me! :)

B1ack_Mi16
Excellent work! Is it street legal now? Any more vids? The engine sound is so brutal that it actually scares me! :)

Late update here. Sadly still not road legal...

I'm spending time on my new daily driver now, but I will start the process getting it legal when the new daily driver is done.

Engine sound is in reality even more brutal than can be heard on the movies ;)

I'm working on a new beam for it, 309 beam with modified rear arms with 405 wheel bearings and spindles.

26mm torsion bars and 28mm ARB..

Will get it approved with the standard 309 beam though.

welshpug

Sounds like your version of our MOT is rather more complicated, Good luck!

B1ack_Mi16
Sounds like your version of our MOT is rather more complicated, Good luck!

True... car can not be approved with bigger engine, other brakes etc without documentation from for example Peugeot, TüV etc. that says it's ok.

Luckily I have a TüV paper on 160bhp Mi16 conversion, and I've been discussing with the MOT guys and 180bhp is ok, so I have a RR print and map with lots of ignition retard that made 180bhp :)

Also brakes need to be documentet that's ok to use, and rollcage is now totally forbidden.

Luckily I have it in written that I can have a half-cage at least (was allowed some years ago when I started the process), but of course I will drive it with full cage anyway.

DrSarty

Why would a roll cage be forbidden :) ?

Surely it's safer for you, or are they suggesting you'll do more damage hitting someone else?

That's a rather strange law to me, particularly when the 205 doesn't have the safety features of newer cars, and that would be someway towards rectifying that.

• Like 1

Anthony

Do you only have to make these changes once to get the car approved in a similar way to the SVA test over here, or will you have to make these changes every year (removing the front half of the cage, removing spacers, returning rear beam to standard 309 GTi spec etc) more like our MOT test? I can imagine that if it's the later then it'll be somewhat tiring/annoying to do every year...

B1ack_Mi16
Do you only have to make these changes once to get the car approved in a similar way to the SVA test over here, or will you have to make these changes every year (removing the front half of the cage, removing spacers, returning rear beam to standard 309 GTi spec etc) more like our MOT test? I can imagine that if it's the later then it'll be somewhat tiring/annoying to do every year...

The first test I need to do is probably like what you call SVA test...

Then we have the MOT every second year. All changes noted in the licence papers of the car will slip through the normal MOT, and also other changes that they can't see if are modified or not.

However it's good to have as much as possible of the papers correct due to insurance.

If you crash with a modified car I think you might have to pay lots yourself..

Rollcage is apparently forbidden because it will have influence on the car's deformation zones..

It's a rule that should not apply to cars older than 2000 at least if you ask me.. but that's how it is.

DrSarty
Rollcage is apparently forbidden because it will have influence on the car's deformation zones..

It's a rule that should not apply to cars older than 2000 at least if you ask me.. but that's how it is.

Daft!

A 205 is a crumple zone in its own right.

MiamiGus

just seen this, keep yp the good work :)