• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[project] Project 205 Xu13j4

B1ack_Mi16

Been working on a new rear beam for this car lately. It's a modified 309 beam that comes from a 309 rallycar.

It has 405 rear spindles, and wheelbearings. It is machined a different angle for the spindles so it seem to have some negative camber dialled in.

Removing the old axle.

IMAG0678.jpg

IMAG0679.jpg

IMAG0680.jpg

Went quite fast, decoupled the brake hoses and pipes so I didn't need to bleed them again afterwards.

New beam is ready to be mounted.

IMAG0681.jpg

Had to slightly take some material of the rear discs which are 266x20mm vented items, the offset of the wheelbearing is slightly different due to the custom machining on the axle.

IMAG0683.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

Luckily I had "guessed" a ok center-center distance for the damper pickup points when assembling the beam, I think I went for 280mm if I remember correctly.

As the height turned out just fine all went really smooth :) The new bars are 24mm opposed to std dimension 309 gti that I had on the old beam.

Hopefully it will be a little bit more oversteery next time I try it at the track :)

I will mount the 21mm ARB that I have lying around and see how it turns out, I think 21mm is slightly small for this torsion bars, but will just try it.

Didn't mount the ARB yesterday due to forgetting the bushes and seals in my daily driver which I had left back home at my dad's place where the racer is stored.

IMAG0685.jpg

cybernck

Wow, I can't believe how dirty the beam got and you don't even use the car on daily basis!

CIMG1009.jpg

It makes the painting and detailing pointless really :( (except for having nice build pics ;)).

B1ack_Mi16

That is so true, but I must admit I have not been active washing the underneath of the car either, so it might be connected :)

I'm not caring about the finish of this car so much anymore... I need to be punished on track, and then you can't care about small things.

Just need to get on with the modifications of the front suspension now.

Really wanna convert to 405 carriers.

ash mi16

awesome build dude love the colour :) wot wheels are thay?

Gavin Waddell

i see your mot is very strict in norway its the same thing over here in switzerland,i saw you said that you had a tuv paper for the mi16, could you scan it so i can have a look, i want to fit an mi16 in my car but the mot people want a certificate of conformity from the constructor or from the garaghe that under took the work or a TUV, it would be very helpful for me.

Thanks Gavin

B1ack_Mi16

i see your mot is very strict in norway its the same thing over here in switzerland,i saw you said that you had a tuv paper for the mi16, could you scan it so i can have a look, i want to fit an mi16 in my car but the mot people want a certificate of conformity from the constructor or from the garaghe that under took the work or a TUV, it would be very helpful for me.

Thanks Gavin

Sure, you got an e-mail adress?

I have one document (written in Norwegian) by a norwegian peugeot dealer, stating the differences between a 1.6 and 1.9 GTi (as mine was 1.6 to start with).

And one TuV paper that is for putting Mi16 engine into a 1.9 GTi.

Para

Stunning project, you probably heard that million times, where did you get those wide arches from ?

B1ack_Mi16

Got the arches from eBay, but not sure they are easy to find anymore. Haven't been looking so not really sure :)

Regarding the car, it is quite a fantastic machine to drive, and the engine is more or less absoloutely perfect. It feels quite torquey and driveable at lower revs even though the max torque is at 6000rpm, above 4000 rpm it goes insane and pulls very hard till the limiter at 8000rpm.

Just a shame I only seem to use it 1-2 weekends during a year :/

Para

Do you have any pictures from the track days ?

B1ack_Mi16

Not particulary much really. Found these though, but not really action pics.

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Got a new radiator for the 205 from BakerBM now, so working on fitting it these days.

Just placed it approximately where it will go, but will make it sit a tad higher and a bit further out, so I'm modifying the front member a bit more now.

I had problems with the water getting really hot, and fan running all the time with the old setup on hot summer days before, even just idling the fan would not get the temp down, so I hope this radiator will sort that out, it's really thick.

Have been doing some trackday driving lately and it works quite good now, more neutral handling after the new rear beam, and engine has been working without any kind of missfiring :)

Now I just need to get the radiator in place, and also move the oil-cooler (before it was in front of the radiator).

Apart from that the aluminium plate that holds my air-filter box to the jenveys are cracking all over the place, so I actually think I'll be making a new one myself, using sheet metal instead. Know it's heavier, but just now I'm aiming more for reability than weight saving on things :)

120528-IMAG0204.jpg

• Like 2

BusEngineer

I will be very interested to see how it affects your temps as im having the same issue

dcc

I have this rad. Never overheated in traffic and running temps on road were around 86celcius

Very good rad :)

B1ack_Mi16

Nice to know. Trying to mount it a tad further forward than the old one, to get some more clearance to the rad, I hope that will give a little better air-flow through it.

Just need to order some 8" fans now.

James504

I also have this rad in my daily 16v 205. I only have 1 8inch fan mounted at the back of the rad, gearbox side. Even sitting in traffic on a 37 degree day temps didnt go above 90. Usually sits around 80-86.

Sam

I've always loved this car. Glad it's still going :)

B1ack_Mi16

Yeah, still going, just got my hands on a video from the last trackday.

Sadly a bit boring as there are very few cars on track at that time, and also it's not clipped, so unnecessary filming in the beginning and at the end.

B1ack_Mi16

Started making a new airfilter/airbox backplate now as the old aluminium one craked straight off on the 3 upper lugs where the filter is fastened.

Making it of mild steel, will sandblast, epoxy prime and paint black before I mount it to car.

I've made up the sides too now, and some strengthening brackets, so it will all go on when I get some more welding gas.

120909-IMAG0604.jpg

120909-IMAG0606.jpg

When the airbox stuff is done, then I need to re-mount the oil-cooler at a different location. Not having it in front of the radiator anymore after fitting the new Baker BM one.

Also need to fix a slight exhaust leak in the flexible part of my downpipe. When this is done it will be nice to put it away for winter storage, and know it should be ready for next years trackday season.

Hopefully I can drive it more than just 2-3 times next year..:)

B1ack_Mi16

Finished welding it up. Shot a layer of epoxy primer today.

Will seal it off with some sealant before I paint it.

120911-IMAG0611.jpg

120911-IMAG0608.jpg

welshpug

nice work! might do something similar myself on my ZX.

B1ack_Mi16

Yeah, quite pleased with it as it's done just with an angle grinder, rotary file and mig welder.

When it's done I hope I can stop worrying about stuff cracking off the engine due to fatigue.. :)

Weights a tad more than the old aluminium one, but worth it anyway. Ideally I should have had a TIG welder and made it from stainless.. but gotta take what you got...

B1ack_Mi16

And voila.. mounted.

120915-IMAG0618.jpg

However I observed looking into the airbox (pipercross one) that there is only about 15-20mm clearance from trumpet to the box itself.. so I ideally need to make a new box for it too, as I believe 15-20mm will be obstructing flow and power?

B1ack_Mi16

It's getting quite good now, I'm relocating some parts atm, and will try to mount a PAS pump from a 205 diesel that I have lying around, mounts at top of gearbox, only problem this far is that it has about 5-7mm wrong offset to the standard Mi16 cam driven pas pulley.

Just hope not it will be a problem with revving a diesel PAS pump to twice the revs of it orginal engine.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

24seven

Would it not be easier to find somewhere for an electric PAS pump?