• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Going To Play With Inlet Tract Length

sonofsam

Thats ok mate :D Hope they turn out well again.

Yeah you just rub it onto the blade as solid, soon as it gets hot it liquifys.

Can get away with out parrafin sure i would of thought, just gives a nice bit of slip when drilling into many sheets through tight bushes...

Edited by sonofsam

tom_m
tight bushes...

:) someone had to :lol:

sonofsam

:)

The engineering world is full of double entendres!:D

My boss always come's out with his favourite " if you cant find the hole, put a bit of hair round it" :lol:

Sean: I have thought of a method for sorting your edges out aswell, involving a small jig :)

smckeown

small update.

here are the 20mm and 40mm spacers after being professionall cut and polished. I'm thinking of polishing them further before I get them anodized.

I also found a local place that gave me all the 5mm sheet i needed to cut all the flanges, good quality ali for not a lot of money B)

polished%20and%20cut.jpg

smckeown

well things were going well after I tried out the new stand. the inner circle cut nice and clean.

successful_inner_circle.jpg

But things went seriously down hill trying to cut the outer circle. The larger hole saw's teeth are just too course and cause the ali to jump on initial contact ruining the positioning etc.

So I'll price them up to be stamped or laser cut to be finished. I tried finding a finer toothed saw but cant find one :P

M_R_205
well things were going well after I tried out the new stand. the inner circle cut nice and clean.

successful_inner_circle.jpg

But things went seriously down hill trying to cut the outer circle. The larger hole saw's teeth are just too course and cause the ali to jump on initial contact ruining the positioning etc.

So I'll price them up to be stamped or laser cut to be finished. I tried finding a finer toothed saw but cant find one :)

when i did my exhaust manifold i used a stepped drill up to 36mm then used a boaring tool i lent of my gf`s dad and finnished them off with a fine file, will save you some cash if any of your mates have these

smckeown

Someone has offered to laser cut them for me :)

smckeown

Haven't updated this for a while as I have been having these flabges laser cut; they arrived this week

flange.jpg

So this is what they are going to look like...<Antipodean accent on>Can you see what it is yet</Antipodean accent off>

spacer_not_glued.jpg

And with the trumpet:

spacer_not_glued_with_trumpet.jpg

I have the studs to add yet and the washers i've had custom made. Should have some made this w/e

sonofsam

Looks very nice, as you would expect :D

Glad all my help wasn't it vain then :P

Are still planning to use Glue at some stage :)

smckeown
Are still planning to use Glue at some stage :)

Absolutely, I rigerously tested the glue and it works a treat. I even boiled it in 100deg c water for an hour afterwards and slammed it into a solid floor numerous times to see how strong it was :P

smckeown

As I have the day off i'm cracking on with things..

Quick polish...needed for the anodizing

polished.jpg

The drill stand came in handy in the end :D

polisher.jpg

First 20mm spacers flanges glues into position:

half%20made.jpg

Checking they are level

checking_level.jpg

Getting there:

factory.jpg

smckeown

Finally I can show you the results of this design/work.

The criteria was to make it quick and easy to increase the inlet tract. So design elements included:

1 - glued washers - ever tried putting trumpets on with those crappy thin washers ? (a bit of vaseline helps - I was given that tip). But this time I had some wider ones made and will be glueing them on the trumpets and spacers

2 - Stud conversions - Again playing about with bolts and nuts is a time consuming and fiddly process, so every spacer will have a stud conversion - Self tapped

Here are the results of what they look like and how easy it is to add in another spacer

Trumpet with glued custom washer:

trumpet%20with%20washer.jpg

40mm spacer with studs:

30mm%20spacer.jpg

40mm spacer with trumpet:

40mm%20spacer%20with%20trumpet.jpg

And then in a jiffy I can add an additional 30mm spacer to get this:

40mm%2030mm%20trumpet.jpg

From another angle, I've also used nylon nuts so they don't come loose

40mm%2030mm%20trumpet%20v2.jpg

:blush:

Rippthrough

Tidy, wouldn't use nylocs until the final trumpet length is chosen though - what's the bore like internally?

Edited by Rippthrough

smckeown

Next stage is to clean them up, get them anodized, use thread lock on the studs and bobs your uncle :blush:

Thanks Advanced Engineering Techniques for the laser cutting, and the forum members for providing the inspiration in the first place, and feedback on the early designs.

Sean

smckeown
Tidy, wouldn't use nylocs until the final trumpet length is chosen though - what's the bore like internally?

It's ~44.1mm rather than 45mm. So either side has a lip of ~0.45mm (~1% each side) smaller which isn't ideal. But for a DIY effort i'm not going to lose any sleep over it, and I don't believe it will have any noticable diference. Maybe if the lip was closer to the valves.

top%20view.jpg

Edited by smckeown

sonofsam

Blending & polishing can all be done on your drill Sean if you wanted.

Wax on, wax off :D:unsure:

Rippthrough
Blending & polishing can all be done on your drill Sean if you wanted.

Wax on, wax off :D:unsure:

Flapwheel on the drill would make short work of it.

sonofsam

Yeah totally agree, thats how I/we do do it and probably the company you take it to, if you decide to :unsure:

Would suggest 80 grit to rid of any imperfections, then 100 grit garnet paper(all soaked in parrafin, mm messy), then a scotchbrite flapwheel with talo on , will bring a shine like you wouldnt beleive! Trick is to keep it moving all the time otherwise it will drag, and wear a mask too.

I made up a few extensions bar's to reach into some deep 'ol holes before.

Rippthrough
I made up a few extensions bar's to reach into some deep 'ol holes before.

Aw, poor sam. :unsure::D

smckeown

I have a head porting grinding stone set somewhere that atatched to the drill, I'll use that to get rid of the slight lip.

sonofsam

Stones are not ideal unfortunately Sean, they tend to clog up far to easily imo. Then you will be dragging.

smckeown
Stones are not ideal unfortunately Sean, they tend to clog up far to easily imo. Then you will be dragging.

odd as that's what I assume gets rid of ali in heads effectively ?

sonofsam

Hehe, was thinking that, as I was writing ~ I bet Seans going to say... :D

Its probably becuase that's cast alu :unsure: Trust me though, I have tried stones on sheet before and it doesnt like it , plus it may be a little aggresive for the small amount of "sprinkling of the Bullsh*t" that you need to do.

Only problem being, flapwheels can be expensive for what they are, and the scotchbrite one's even more so,

but you can always tape a brillo pad/scotchbrite pad to a drill/bar bit, will work the same lol

smckeown
Hehe, was thinking that, as I was writing ~ I bet Seans going to say... :wacko:

Its probably becuase that's cast alu :unsure: Trust me though, I have tried stones on sheet before and it doesnt like it , plus it may be a little aggresive for the small amount of "sprinkling of the Bullsh*t" that you need to do.

Only problem being, flapwheels can be expensive for what they are, and the scotchbrite one's even more so,

but you can always tape a brillo pad/scotchbrite pad to a drill/bar bit, will work the same lol

i'm getting muddled up. Are you advising me on how to polish them or to port the small lip/step ? they are already polished :D I used a wire wheel and then some brasso

sonofsam

lol, sorry mate! My fault.

They do look clean inside, but not exactly polished.. Sorry me being a perfectionist again :) I have to work to

silly 'blemish/pin prick free' standards :ph34r:

Air wil flow better will it not, if its all nice and slipery iniside? Cue tom_m lol.

Both can be acheived with flap wheels Sean. :huh: But yes i would advise a flapwheel for getting rid of that small lip. can get you a part worn one if you like :huh:

Sign in to follow this