• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Going To Play With Inlet Tract Length

Mandic

Is it possible that stock manis are not well tuned and if one wanted to extract gains from 2nd harmonics, manis would be just too long, so people opt for 3rd harmonics and they tune manifold lengths accordingly (cut them) ...

Cheers

Ziga

cybernck

no, people cut them to clear the radiator :rolleyes:.

Mandic

ah well, You are right ;)

besides, some of us don't have such problems and look from power point of view :rolleyes::)

Anyway, I'm a bit sceptical about all this harmonics mambo jumbo...

Cheers

Ziga

Sandy

I'm sceptical about a theory based on such a small proportion of the variables involved, being reliable.

smckeown

I have beeked 2 cheap power runs back at road and race powerformance mid nov, this wil lallow true back to back comparisons. I aim to take 2 new lengths with me to see the power/curve difference they make. I have received the new filters and have ordered the pipe lengths.

smckeown

Finally got the ali tubes and filters today

parts.jpg

I have 2 sessions at the RR next weekend where I can compare with 2 new lengths of trumpet. The RR is the same as when I had the car originally setup. By the weekend it will also have the same map and cam so the results will be comparible.

Let's see what I can make this weekend then :lol:

smckeown

Wasn't able to finish them completely, so just the bases to sort out now. Here's today's progress:

Measuring current induction length and free space, not as much free space as i imagined to i'm looking for about 4cm increase which should take me from 330mm to 370mm in length:

free_space.jpg

I took the opportunity to have a look at the air flow to the trumpets as i noticed tt205 had cut his grill, as suspected the top of the grill is rather restrictive

grill_blocking.jpg

So out came the saw..

grill_cut.jpg

Looking much better even with bonnet on:

more_air.jpg

The new 130mm trumpets so far:

pieces_cut.jpg

t16ryan

nice looking good, interesting to see the outcome :)

sonofsam

What wall thickness is that tube then Sean?Bet a bit of I.D. polishing wouldn't go a miss;)

Miles

Are you going to flare the ends to bell mouths? and I would run both without filters as different types of filter makes a differacne to airflow as well

smckeown
Are you going to flare the ends to bell mouths? and I would run both without filters as different types of filter makes a differacne to airflow as well

In this version I won't have bell mouth's. As with TT205 i'm hoping for some gains with this setup, i'm hoping the filters are ok. The next stage (when i have more time over xmas), is to build a custom front entry airbox with a large flat panel filter; also with bell mouths on the trumpets. I'm just researching this now

petert
The next stage (when i have more time over xmas), is to build a custom front entry airbox with a large flat panel filter; also with bell mouths on the trumpets. I'm just researching this now

I've been playing around with this for some time. But trying to find a panel filter that's big enough and fits is near impossible. I've been cross referencing between the K&N site (filter by size) and the Green Cotton. I'll be keen to see how you go. As an interim, I've built a box with side entry fed by a cone.

smckeown
I've been playing around with this for some time. But trying to find a panel filter that's big enough and fits is near impossible. I've been cross referencing between the K&N site (filter by size) and the Green Cotton. I'll be keen to see how you go. As an interim, I've built a box with side entry fed by a cone.

You can get a green panel filter for a Lamborghini Countach that's 380mm x 150mm in size. I'd thought that is plenty

welshpug

something like this?

20520avant.jpg

:)

smckeown

i've just been out to measure and that ferarro one is too hight, it wont clear my lowered rad and fit under bonnet.

The Fiat Dino (Spider) 337 x 131 looks better....

Unless I can tilt it like the one in the pic above. Need to look more closely tomorrow

Edited by smckeown

Miles

Be intresting to see the result's, I know that the air flow with high and low pressure area's make's a differance, hense why I said about the bell mouth's which I'm sure make a differance on the radius too

petert

Trying to find one that would flow enough air (for 240+hp) and fit under the bonnet was the issue. The other issue was the minimum distance between the bellmouth and the panel. My research suggested 70mm. I'd be keen to hear the thoughts of others. Here's some that looked promising:

K&N

33-2504

33-2710

Edited by petert

Sandy

Have plain end pipes will influence the results, you get a stalled zone around the perimeter of the pipe entry which interrupts flow.

smckeown
Trying to find one that would flow enough air (for 240+hp) and fit under the bonnet was the issue. The other issue was the minimum distance between the bellmouth and the panel. My research suggested 70mm. I'd be keen to hear the thoughts of others. Here's some that looked promising:

K&N

33-2504

33-2710

Nice one pete, that 33-2710 which is 446 x 131 looks a good size.

smckeown

here's an update.

I have approx 80mm of space to play with, I might need to drop the rad another 10mm, we'll see..

space.jpg

I now think that retaining the existing sausage filter and making air horn spacers is the best / most economical way forward. This saves me buying a new panel filter and building an airbox.

This is a diagram of how the back plate / sausage filter would be retained in relation to the spacers, pretty fundamental really.

So I have all the materials here to make some spacers, i'll make 40mm and 20mm versions, which will allow me to test a tuned length increase of 20mm to 60mm

planned_setup.jpg

The benefits of this setup are:

* Minimse cost regarding air box and panel filter

* Get to keep the excellent existing 90mm bell mouth air horns pic here

* Have a system of playing with lengths bettween 20-60mm relatively easily

Sandy

Nice one :)

sonofsam

So does wall thickness play apart in this experiment? I guess you want the maximum quantity of air as you can in there? equally thinner walled gauge pipe.

smckeown
So does wall thickness play apart in this experiment? I guess you want the maximum quantity of air as you can in there? equally thinner walled gauge pipe.

eh ? surely as long as the ID is 45mm the spacer thickness makes no difference ?

stew205

Hi Sean,

I am nearing completion of my airbox. I have just popped outside and taken a coupe of pics for you. I will get some better pics in the light! :)

Space was a major problem, even more so due to running a cast block. The rad has been moved further forward, the alt. bracket changed...

I am pleased I have been able to use the 90mm trumpets which gave the best results during mapping.

airbox1qx9.jpg

airbox3pm1.jpg

airbox2ei2.jpg

Its getting there but not finished.

I will get some better pics up.

Thanks

Stew

sonofsam
eh ? surely as long as the ID is 45mm the spacer thickness makes no difference ?

Pardon. The reason your having difficulty finding 45 I.D. pipe is because it usually get's measured by O.D. and wall thickness :)

of course, i know away around this :)

Sign in to follow this