• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Going To Play With Inlet Tract Length

smckeown
Pardon. The reason your having difficulty finding 45 I.D. pipe is because it usually get's measured by O.D. and wall thickness ;)

of course, i know away around this :)

ah just realised the connection :) I actually have 45mm ID pipe, it's just rather thick at 5mm, but not the end of the world...

sonofsam

Cool, thats all I was getting at, glad you found some :)

When you come to the final length, let me know as I will be able to produce 46mm O.D. seamless pipe with a 1mm wall thickness, ultra light :) if thats any good to you B)

Have fun with the experiments ;)

smckeown
Hi Sean,

I am nearing completion of my airbox. I have just popped outside and taken a coupe of pics for you. I will get some better pics in the light! :)

Space was a major problem, even more so due to running a cast block. The rad has been moved further forward, the alt. bracket changed...

I am pleased I have been able to use the 90mm trumpets which gave the best results during mapping.

airbox1qx9.jpg

airbox3pm1.jpg

airbox2ei2.jpg

Its getting there but not finished.

I will get some better pics up.

Thanks

Stew

Nice one, did you actually try longer than 90mm when mapping ? was that airbox in place at the time ? I would also consider something to stop the hot air rising from the rad in to the box, but at high speed i'm not sure if this would actually be needed etc

stew205

We only tested up to 90mm.

It is only the first part of the airbox, it will be extended to just behind the grill with some insulation between the rad and the box itself.

Previously I could only run my 60mm trumpets using the sausage filter. To use the 90mm ones I had to use socks which felt like it restricted the engine, when I didn't run socks the airflow at higher speeds would cause a misfire.

I have just returned from Cadwell and am really pleased with the results. The engine feels strong and there are no misfires at motorway speeds. The airbox was cold to the touch after each session, but to be fair I was freezing cold too :)

smckeown

Well after my DIY pipe cutting with a hack saw, I decided I might as well get a professional to cut them. So I found a local metal working guy who charged very little to cut the pipes to the correct length.

I'll be making spares to sell them to cover my costs; that's if they are of an acceptable quality.

So the rest of the week i'll be progressing cutting the ends, bonding them together, cutting the threads with my new tap and making studs with rod i've purchased. I must find some suitable rubber washers for sealing too..

cut_pipes.jpg

They are a mix of 20m and 40mm pipes

Edited by smckeown

smckeown

I'm determined to get at least one finished today. Here's my tester to see if I can cut it accurately enough and get the alignment holes perfect..

marked%20ali.jpg

test%20pipe%20and%20end.jpg

Just trying out the Araldite metal bond on that lot now to see if it creates a strong enough bond..

smckeown

A few more pics before I go back and start the real ones.

The finish hasnt been cleaned up on this tester, plus the ring end isnt exactly flush with the end of the pipe, so that will be sorted on the next batch.

end%20finished.jpg

end%20finished.jpg

end%20finished.jpg

Not too bad for a DIY effort. I priced the jenvey spavers last night, they cost about

72 a set of 4 ;)

sonofsam
I'm determined to get at least one finished today. Here's my tester to see if I can cut it accurately enough and get the alignment holes perfect..

marked%20ali.jpg

test%20pipe%20and%20end.jpg

Just trying out the Araldite metal bond on that lot now to see if it creates a strong enough bond..

Fly press will of done that alot neater with minimal burr ;)

smckeown

yes of course, this is a DIY effort, I have drills, hole saws and files ;)

sonofsam

Lube up your bits with parrafin and candle wax then:)

smckeown

well after trying to cut 5mm rather than my tester's 3mm things went downhill. I also realised its very easy to mess them up. So I am pricing having these milled instead, works out not too bad price wise if I make extra trumpets and sell them on cheaply:

designed_ends.jpg

sonofsam

What happened to DIY?

If there milling from a plate ( your existing plate), there will be quite a few ops. IMO.

You cutting 5mm plate with a series of tank cutters? Whats messing up on them Sean?

Alternatives would be Laser/water jet cut blanks . Our man said He couldn't do 5mm alu, so cant really

help there.

3mm is doable on a fly-press though, may work out cheaper :)

smckeown
What happened to DIY?

I tried and failed :) Cutting 5mm thickness meant my drill was boring for a lot longer and the tolerances became too innacurate..i.e. it was easy to mess up. the outer edge wasn't too bad, but trying to cut the inner circle was where it started to go wrong..

Shame as I reckon I can do it with 3mm, but I need 5mm as the ends will have threads, and 3mm is too little material for the number of thread needed etc.

The quote I have involves cutting them on a lathe then using a mill to cut the hole in the middle and the slight indent for my rubber washers.

I've been using starrett hole saws

smckeown

p,s, the adhesive i'm using has fully set now on my tester and it's absolutely rock solid, very impressed I am. It's impossible for me to break it with my hands, so that's good enough for me.

sonofsam

Try cutting the inner circle first on the sheet (with a decent bit of edge meat too it), then cut the outer using the inner as a locator, viced cramped onto some wood, to minimise burr.

Drill on slow speed with plenty of lube, i could do that ( infact I have, through steel), easy, but then its what i do :huh: well! :)

Make a Jig up, get it spot on then each time :D

Edited by sonofsam

smckeown

thanks for those tips.

I've just been thinking maybe about getting a cheap Bench Morticer. I have the correct sized hole says, so it's just accuracy and stability are the problems now with a hand held drill. With a Bench Morticer I could solve that.

sonofsam

Bench morticer is for wood-work isnt it?

Pillar drill / cheap attachment to turn hand drill into pillar drill, seen those.

sonofsam

Thats the ticket!

Just make sure it's clamped down nicley, rembember slow speed, as you dont want a jegged edge alu blank spinning around near your chest area. Far nastier ragid cuts with alu v's stainless!

welshpug

the results will make very interesting reading Sean, any projected date for the testing?

smckeown
Thats the ticket!

Just make sure it's clamped down nicley, rembember slow speed, as you dont want a jegged edge alu blank spinning around near your chest area. Far nastier ragid cuts with alu v's stainless!

cheers, i'll get some better cutting oil too, wd40 was used today

what do you call the accesories that attach to the base of that stand then ? there is a vice accesory in the pic that actually doesnt come with the stand. May be worth me getting something suitable to hold sheet; if there is such a thing.

the results will make very interesting reading Sean, any projected date for the testing?

well the new engine wont be ready until feb, but we've allowed for optimisation sessions on the RR to try different inlet lenghts and exhaust diameters. This time the complete package will be optimised. Luckily it doesnt actually cost that muchc..phew! (the rr time that is). I'm making both 20mm and 40mm spacers. So combined with the existing 90mm trumpets, I can extend those by 20-60mm. Should make for interesting experimentation.

smckeown

Ah I found it. It's called a drill press vice

TB28166.jpg

So I reckon a stable setup would be to get a block of wood and g-clamp the ali sheet to the block, and then put the block into the press vice.

sonofsam
cheers, i'll get some better cutting oil too, wd40 was used today

Like i said before, candle wax!

Id experiment with set ups before you go drilling, but yeah G-clamps and wood blocks will be fine.

Remember off-cuts can come in handy :D

smckeown
Like i said before, candle wax!

Id experiment with set ups before you go drilling, but yeah G-clamps and wood blocks will be fine.

Remember off-cuts can come in handy :D

yeah i saw the candle wax and parafin before

Do you mean solid or liquid wax on the material ? can i get away without the parafin..don't have any of that

thanks for your help, your a star!

Sign in to follow this