• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

RossD

Tu Spec, Help Needed

bren_1.3

strange how the pistons arent domed, like the ones i have. any explanation? they look like XS pistons to me.

Jrod

Is it becuase only the 1.4 ones are domed?

bren_1.3

ah, its a 1600 block then is it?

RossD

Yep, it's a TU5J2 block, it was free and so it seemed a shame not to use it even though the original plan was for a 1.4!

Also it will suit the 45mm TB's I have better than 1.4 I expect.

Edited by RossD

bren_1.3

so much for the alloy block 1400 then...

Jrod

Yer I knew 1400 alloy was the way to go so got rid. :)

drmo

I think that only 1294cc(rallye) and 1360cc(XSi) have doomed pistons :)

I have a question about cams. On catcams page i found cams for TU3M and TU3/5. what is the diference? As far as I know the cams will fit to any TU head. I have a TU24 head on TU5 block, so can anybody help me choose the right one. Someone wrote that catcam with part number 4900646 would be the right choice.

Thanks,

Luka

Sandy

There are two bearing size groups for the TU blakc top heads. Most models (carb, single point injection, TU24) are smaller sized bearings. The later multipoint 106 engines and some 306 etc are larger bearing sizes and they're not interchangeable. The 4900646 (larger bearing n/s for TU24) is a lovely cam with mutliple throttles but a bit grumpy on single throttle inlets, it works well in 1.4 and 1.6's.

drmo
There are two bearing size groups for the TU blakc top heads. Most models (carb, single point injection, TU24) are smaller sized bearings. The later multipoint 106 engines and some 306 etc are larger bearing sizes and they're not interchangeable. The 4900646 (larger bearing n/s for TU24) is a lovely cam with mutliple throttles but a bit grumpy on single throttle inlets, it works well in 1.4 and 1.6's.
Thanks sandy309 :)

So the TU24 heads from euro rallye and ax sport have smaller sized bearings. What about 4901133 or 4901105

then?

RossD
so much for the alloy block 1400 then...

Trying to get hold of the right bts was turning into a right old mare tbh!!!

Sandy
Thanks sandy309 :)

So the TU24 heads from euro rallye and ax sport have smaller sized bearings. What about 4901133 or 4901105

then?

I would try the 4901133 if you're 1.6. Slightly less peak lift than I would like, and peak angle and duration looks ok.

drmo

Thanks again, I also think that 4901133 is the better choice.

RossD
I would try the 4901133 if you're 1.6. Slightly less peak lift than I would like, and peak angle and duration looks ok.

Sandy, do you know what the lift is on the standard TU5J2 camshaft? Just wondering how 4901133 compares to the standard NFY engine cam really.

Sandy

I haven't written it down, it's about 9.8mm IIRC.

christopher
Thanks sandy309

What about 4901133 or 4901105

then?

Be careful standard TU24 camshaft already is supposed to have 10.8mm of lift as standard! But that is more then enough anyway. Personally I wouldn't choose any milder then 4901133 either.

Edited by christopher

RossD

About time for a quick update:

Went to QEP yesterday and got some bits, including a nice shiney new cam. Went for the CatCams 4900645 profile in the end. Also got some new piston rings and bearings etc.

Engine block is stripped and will be going to QEP in a couple of weeks. Matt has said instead of skimming the head to get the compression up, he will both deck the block so the pistons protrude by about 10 thou and skim the head (but not as much!) This has the advantage of keeping a nice squish area. We're aiming for about 11:1.

I know this project is progressing slowly, but with a new job and a mortgage to pay it can't really go much faster :P

Oh also decided that the engine is going to go into my old 205 GT.... 5 door sleeper, LOL :P

TKH

Cheapest way to get 120bhp out of the XS engine is;

Get a GMC exhusts manifold,

Any open filter,

Pipe cold air to it,

Port the head your self,

Have head skimmed,

Port the solex your self,

Cut valve clearance your self,

Get rally cam,

You cam see over 120bhp with this but it will not run that great.

You may be able to user the new super stock cams out there with standard pistons.

Yes 106 1.3 rods are longer. Also yes you can mill then down to work in the 1.4. If you would like pictures of what to do I can send you some. I still have a few sets of these. I am now using original works pistons and rods due to not trusting the 1.3 items over 10k

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. But I am not online much these days.