• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

RossD

Tu Spec, Help Needed

rally ax
Blimey! Thats really what i want with my engine, good midrange, a good headline figure but not at the expense of a nice wide powerband.

Just out of interest, would you mind describing your engine spec? What bodies are you running?

Its not as exciting as you would think :) ,

Std XSI bottom end (un-touched),std flywheel with paddle clutch, Pumaracing std valve cylinder head, "mild" 280deg Catcam from QEP, Janspeed 4-2-1, inlet manifold from Bogg Bros, GSXR600 38mm ITB's with Ramair filter (bulkhead cut to get maximum intake length), DTA engine management mapped by Russell at Wallace Performance on a Dastek rolling road .

RossD

Thats pretty much the same spec as my first build is going to be, bar the headwork and I'm going to be using megasquirt. Main difference being the Jenvey SF bodies I'm going to use are 45mm and using original injector locations in the head.

rally ax
and using original injector locations in the head.

Thats what I did ,saves alot of hassle (and £££ :) ),I used "black top" zetec injectors from a 2.0 Mondeo in a 16v fuel rail because the FPR is at the end rather than the middle .The std XSI FPR fouls the inlet runners because the manifold is angled up-hill to clear the horizontal part on the scuttle panel .(vertical part cut away)

christopher
Just as a quick sidenote, does anybody know what the most powerful 8 valve 1.4 N/A engine is out there? (TU or otherwise!) The guy with the 137bhp AX must be pretty close....

205 Group A Rallyes come in about 140bhp at 8000rpm. They are of course only 1.3's (1294cc) running standard twin DCOM webers

RossD

Well I now have a set of shiny looking throttle bodies (mmmm shiny things :blink:), manifold, injectors and fuel rail from Sam. Now just need to source some XSi pistons and the build can commence!

Sandy

Excellent Ross, i'll be very interested to see how they perform on a 1360 with decent compression!

RossD
Excellent Ross, i'll be very interested to see how they perform on a 1360 with decent compression!

So will I! It might have to wait for a while though now, some berk has just written off my 406 by running into the back of it.... I'm soooooo pissed off!

RossD

Right, now I'm in a position now to re-start this project. Anyone got a 1.4 XSi lump they want rid of, or even just the pistons? I want to start building an engine soon!!

bren_1.3

shoud have posted earlier buddy. just scrapped a block and crank as i hate cast iron TU's! and the pistons have gone into storage with one of them at trogboys house. would have sold you them otherwise.

RossD
shoud have posted earlier buddy. just scrapped a block and crank as i hate cast iron TU's! and the pistons have gone into storage with one of them at trogboys house. would have sold you them otherwise.

DOH!!!! :unsure:

I'm using an ali block hopefully with these pistons so the lack of a block aint a problem.....

Edited by RossD

Sandy

Those piston I had were absolutely shagged.

RossD

I thought that might be the case Sandy, ah well, the hunt continues.

If I can't find the pistons, I was thinking of maybe using a 1.6 block (heavier yes, but parts are much easier to find) with a 1.4 crank; obviously I'm going to have to research this a bit more, but its kind of a backup plan incase the 1.4 idea falls through. Only disadvantage (if it works!!) I can see is the increased weight of the block....

trogboy
the pistons have gone into storage with one of them at trogboys house.

Is it? Did I only send the TU24 piston back? I've not seen it about but if I did have it I wouldn't have chucked it anyhow so it must be in the garage somewhere.

I was just thinking about biting your hand off for those pistons myself now I have got the engine running and in the car - need something to keep the grey matter ticking over.

bren_1.3
Is it? Did I only send the TU24 piston back? I've not seen it about but if I did have it I wouldn't have chucked it anyhow so it must be in the garage somewhere.

I was just thinking about biting your hand off for those pistons myself now I have got the engine running and in the car - need something to keep the grey matter ticking over.

yep you only sent the TU24 piston back over! :blush::D:lol:

give me a PM about them.

Jrod

If you do go for a 1.6 block I have Sams old one here if you want it.

It's free.

Sandy

Overbore 1.6 block (eg 79mm) with the 1.4 crank would be good. 1509cc.

RossD
If you do go for a 1.6 block I have Sams old one here if you want it.

It's free.

What type of condition is it in?! I will take you up on that offer, but I cant get down to Portsmouth for a few weeks yet. Looking at sometime in March?

Anyone know what happened to that engine mount Sam had from the iron block engine?

Overbore 1.6 block (eg 79mm) with the 1.4 crank would be good. 1509cc.

Trouble is with that I'm then looking at custom pistons and things start to get expensive.....

Sandy

There are numerous OE 79mm pistons about which could be used.

Jrod

I have the mount aswell but I'm keeping that. :blush:

I think the block needs a rebuild to be honest but I've never used it so have no idea really.

RossD
I have the mount aswell but I'm keeping that. :blush:

I think the block needs a rebuild to be honest but I've never used it so have no idea really.

A rebuild doesnt matter, it would have one for my build anyway! Is it just the bare block or is the crank etc in it still?

Jrod

Cranks still in, pistons etc all there still. :unsure:

RossD
Cranks still in, pistons etc all there still. :ph34r:

Ok brilliant!! :huh:

RossD

I started to strip down the block that I collected from Jrod a couple of weeks ago. (Sams old block). It seems to be in remarkably good condition. I pulled a piston and rod out this morning, pics below....

(Some are a bit blurred sorry)

STA70649.jpg

STA70652.jpg

STA70651.jpg

STA70654.jpg

STA70653.jpg

Only some slight visible wear on the piston, ring gaps seem very tight etc. Pulled a main bearing off and bearing seems in good condition. Will get the pastigauge on it sometime to confirm :rolleyes:

It's a 1994 TU5J2 (NFY) block from the ID marks on it, so from a 106 1.6 XSi.

Edited by RossD

Sandy

Yep, it came out of MattB's Diablo red 106 XSi. I had the head and gearbox at the time.

TKH

edit

Edited by TKH