• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

Sump Baffle - Is This Any Good?

KRISKARRERA

Ah ok.

The height of an XU10 sump is same as 405 XU9J4 + space, yes?

pablo
Ah ok.

how much are we talking to buy an X10 sump lads? Is it a dealer buy or aftermarket?

petert
Ah ok.

correct. I have no idea how much you'd pay for one in the UK. Wreckers over here won't break an XU10 engine just for a sump.

KRISKARRERA

I reckon most would be the same here too. My local scrappy is like this: "If you want to have that bonnet you'll need to buy the entire car off me." Right, see you then!

Bonzai

i absolotely despise all of the scrappies local to me, they are all con merchants and if you dont like it they will happily show you the door. I extremely doubt any of my locals would be happy to break up a complete engine, so an XU10 sump is almost out of the question for me really.

never the less, please remind me which cars i might find an xu10 in... cheers

also....

It only takes one good corner to destroy an XU9.

Those things are a pain for oil leaks as well. You have another two surfaces that you have to get spot on, before bolting in together.

Just find an XU10 sump. They bolt straight on.

not that i dont believe you but surely if this was such a problem then peugeot would of recalled the 405s back in the day and done something about it?

Edited by Bonzai

Anthony
never the less, please remind me which cars i might find an xu10 in... cheers

Just about any 2.0 litre 8v/16v engine Peugeot or Citroen made prior to the late 90's should do. To name a few, 306, Phase 2 405's, Phase 2 ZX's, Xantia's.

Just be a bit careful of the tin sumps, as I've heard of one suffering bad enough rust that it got a hole in it (rusting from the outside in)! :)

not that i dont believe you but surely if this was such a problem then peugeot would of recalled the 405s back in the day and done something about it?

If you're running the oil level topped up you'd be hard pressed to get oil surge bad enough to knacker the bottom end on the road, and hence it's not really something Peugeot would do a recall about - it's not so much an engine "fault" but rather an element of it's design that doesn't lend itself very well to being thrown around on track...

Rob Thomson

Anyone know how much one of these magic XU10 sumps would be from a dealer? I've been planning to get a dry-sump kit for the rally car but I might have accidentally spent my budget on beer.

Banjo

Theres fudging loads of xu10's in Harrys Rob, just remember to take a big tool box in with you! There's also a 2.0 turbo xantia in there in good nick!

Ben

madmat

Mmmmmm,(lightbulb appears above head)it was only last week i was looking round a 94 605 sv ready to be crushed,i wonder what sump that has on it :) .goes to find parts cd.

Alan_M

I currently have one of those PTS baffled sumps and its pants for the Mi. Too many times has my pressure needle been sat on 0.5bar whilst blatting round a corner and thats not good.

From what I understand, the XU10 sump with baffle and trap door help the situation, and the oil pump baffle also fit the XU9J4 lump. The windage tray and chain guard don't?

Can someone confirm that :)

Alastairh

Intresting topic.

theres quite a few xu10 lumps down my scrappy.

May well buy a few and sell on for a few members...

Hilgie
From what I understand, the XU10 sump with baffle and trap door help the situation, and the oil pump baffle also fit the XU9J4 lump. The windage tray and chain guard don't?

Can someone confirm that :)

That's confirmed. The windage tray can be made to fit though.

rich_w
Anyone know how much one of these magic XU10 sumps would be from a dealer?

Ooooo do you fancy doing a group buy Rob :)

fiji bob

i bought an xu9j4 pump (not a genuine one) thats got a couple of protusions where the chain guard would bolt on but no holes, has anyone modded a pump to fit the guard?

rich i think it may be cheaper to have a baffle welded into an ally sump even by someone that knows what they are doing.

rich_w

Rob has in the past got very good discounts from our local dealer :(

Bonzai

i'd be intrested dependant on price, naturally

Rob Thomson

Group buy? Me? Bl**dy hell. I'll ask next time I'm there...

engine killer

dear all,

just had a long chat with a mechanic from a racing team (been racing all generations of civic-r and integra-r, and now racing the 307s). regarding to the sump design, he said the trap door design is the most effective way to prevent oil surge if room allows. so they are having both trap doors and baffles in a sump. also, data log showed oil pressure dropped signicficantly under heavy braking, they now have all sumps with a baffle to stop surge under heavy braking. has anyone experienced surge problem under braking? if this is also an issue to mi, i may also put this into consideration since i am still messing around with my trap door.

thanks.

veloce200
dear all,

just had a long chat with a mechanic from a racing team (been racing all generations of civic-r and integra-r, and now racing the 307s). regarding to the sump design, he said the trap door design is the most effective way to prevent oil surge if room allows. so they are having both trap doors and baffles in a sump. also, data log showed oil pressure dropped signicficantly under heavy braking, they now have all sumps with a baffle to stop surge under heavy braking. has anyone experienced surge problem under braking? if this is also an issue to mi, i may also put this into consideration since i am still messing around with my trap door.

thanks.

Yeah I've had pressure loss underbraking before I put a horizontal baffle in. Admittedly the level was 1/2 way between dipstick marks. Also this was braking downhill (road as well not track) which can't have helped.

Mandic

Once I've seen a sump, very similar design to Canton's, only it had 4 trap doors baffles positioned like this:

sump5si.th.png

Must be effective I guess

Cheers

Ziga

C_W
dear all,

thanks.

Yea I get some surge under braking, at Oulton Park yesterday I get it after a fast left hand that immediately have to brake hard for (Shell hairpin).

Guest piran21

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead. Is there a Do-It-Yourself way to baffle and trap door a XU9J4/z sump pan? Or is a XU10 sump a direct and more effective replacement both cost and functionality.

Edited by piran21

Ahl

You could DIY it, but you'd need to be able to weld/fabricate.

If you can't do that (or get someone to do it for you) then the xu10 sump wouldn't be a bad option at all. :)

ablister

you can buy a sump baffle for the oil pump for £1.80 from peugeot, it's the one for the gti6 etc.

Think the xu10 sumps are about £60 from peugeot, there was a guy on ebay selling brand new ones for about half that on his ebay shop but not seen them in a while now

Sign in to follow this