• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

Sump Baffle - Is This Any Good?

Bonzai

image1479rf.th.jpgimage1488ko.th.jpgimage1498xs.th.jpg

this came in an engine we bought and i was thinking of using it in the current Mi im rebuilding. Any opinions folks?

Miles

Thats a copy of the Pug Sport one, It's the best thing you can get unless you want to spend allot of ££ on the French version

James_R

Damn I should have kept it!!

Miles you can see it's caught on the crank a bit on the top ide, is it a case of bend it till it clears?

petert
Thats a copy of the Pug Sport one, It's the best thing you can get unless you want to spend allot of ££ on the French version

I'd throw it in the bin and fit an XU10 sump and accessories (they're French).

It's interesting that Pug sport even sold this product. I didn't think PSA had a handle on oil surge until the XU10, until a friend showed me his XU9J4 sump. It was from Peter Brock's 05 Mi16, which ran at '91 and '92 Bathurst 12 hour. This was a factory entered car. The sump looks like a normal finned XU9 sump from the outside, but internally, it has the trap door (cast, not welded) as per the later XU10 sumps.

Edited by petert

C_W

Looks a right rusty mess to me so I wouldn't use that!

Not sure how the crank has scraped it since they normally sit below the stiffener/spacer plate and the crank throw doesn't come below that, unless that end was bent up for some reason. OR it was used on a an engine without the spacer (but then that might not work at all, not sure). If that was the case then I'd imagine it was useless since it wouldn't have sat at the bottom of the sump??

Hilgie
The sump looks like a normal finned XU9 sump from the outside, but internally, it has the trap door (cast, not welded) as per the later XU10 sumps.

That same sump is used in the 309GTi16 on the 91 en 92 models.

PumaRacing

Looks the same as the thing from Peugeot Sport that Smackowen has given me to use on his race engine. I have grave doubts about the thing actually doing anything constructive.

KRISKARRERA
That same sump is used in the 309GTi16 on the 91 en 92 models.
Oh I love nuggets of useless info like that. :o Time to check the parts cd.

C_W
Looks the same as the thing from Peugeot Sport that Smackowen has given me to use on his race engine. I have grave doubts about the thing actually doing anything constructive.

In my experience they don't work all that well, at least on the 1.9 Mi16 engine - I still got oil surge on track relatively easily just not as bad as without it.

Bonzai

bear in mind its mainly going to be used for the daily drive to work, perhaps 2 or 3 trackdays a year. If i have to not go balls out on track then i'll deal with that when it becomes a problem for me.

Thanks for opinions. the pictures make it look worse condition that it actually is. viscious blighter mind you, its had me a couple of times now :(

pablo

how much are these baffle plates to buy then at the minute? Rebuilding my Mi16 currently and thinking about the sump end of things.

veloce200

I think it would work just fine. My 8v suffered surge round Chessons at Lydden - long right hander. I put a simple plate (horizontal) in the sump to stop the oil moving up the side. At 1g the oil is vertical without! It's worked just fine. No trap doors or anything. I think an MI needs a bit more work though. Anyone know how much the XU10 sump is and will it fit straight onto an XU9JA without need for changing the spacing of the oil pump?

boombang
At 1g the oil is vertical without!

lol - this is the second time since being a member on drivers I have seen this "fact" posted!

Rippthrough
lol - this is the second time since being a member on drivers I have seen this "fact" posted!

Surely it would be at 45* + the lean angle of the car?

veloce200

try getting a clear vessel filled with a liquid then swing it around to generate g and see if the liquid doesn't occupy all the space to the outside of the vessel. If you disagree have you got "in sump" footage to support?

Rippthrough
try getting a clear vessel filled with a liquid then swing it around to generate g and see if the liquid doesn't occupy all the space to the outside of the vessel. If you disagree have you got "in sump" footage to support?

Simple physics surely.

1G directly down + 1G perpendicular = 45* angle of force, which the liquid would rearrange itself around to get as low as possible (minimum energy state). therefore the liquid would sit in the corner at a 45* relative to the track, for a constant cornering force.

petert
bear in mind its mainly going to be used for the daily drive to work, perhaps 2 or 3 trackdays a year.

It only takes one good corner to destroy an XU9.

Those things are a pain for oil leaks as well. You have another two surfaces that you have to get spot on, before bolting in together.

Just find an XU10 sump. They bolt straight on.

KRISKARRERA

Don't suppose you've got a pic of an XU10 sump have you?

veloce200

ok I bow to the physics I will concede that it moves towards the vertical and that long corners and g "spikes " like chessons probably take it over 45deg

Rippthrough
ok I bow to the physics I will concede that it moves towards the vertical and that long corners and g "spikes " like chessons probably take it over 45deg

Probably when you first turn in or have to correct the line it will peak a little higher.

veloce200
Probably when you first turn in or have to correct the line it will peak a little higher.

yeah at chessons you go from a 4 wheel drift to sudden grip on a long but quite fast right hander. prob worst for surge. Bloke I know used to run an MI16 405 there and did the big ends twice!

engine killer

great infos. i am currently working on making a trap door for my mi sump which is very similar to the one shown above (actually i copied the design from xu10).

on the other side of the sump, there wil be a baffle hanging from the joint of oil pump and its mechanism (the part with the drive chain). i guess this will prevent surge for left hand bend.

KRISKARRERA

I used to have a 1.9 405 Mi that was registered June 1992, does that mean then that it would have had trap door?

petert
I used to have a 1.9 405 Mi that was registered June 1992, does that mean then that it would have had trap door?

according to the CD, all XU9J4 405's had the same sump, 0301F5.

Edited by petert

Sign in to follow this