• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

tom_m

will the block/head not need o-ringing if you're going with a copper gasket?

Dom9

Thank God you are back... I was getting bored there!

Loving the shiny carbon bits :D

I really want a carbon roof next year...

Keep the updates coming!

Tom Fenton
will the block/head not need o-ringing if you're going with a copper gasket?

Not needed with the gaskets from Ferriday, they are a good bit of kit, only thing they stipulate is that the block and head need to be flat (durrr!) and a reasonable surface finish.

M3Evo

Flat surfaces I can do, and the finish is pretty good too so hopefully we should be laughing!

Oh, didn't manage to get the volumes checked unfortunately, but did take a couple of pics of the bollocksed up front wing. I'm still liking the black top and carbon middle effect myself, whadda people reckon?

DSCI0270Small-10.jpg

DSCI0271Small-4.jpg

DSCI0272Small-5.jpg

DSCI0273Small-6.jpg

hman205

what was "bollocksed up" about it? look really good

PS... Sort out the date on your camera or we will all start thinking your holding out on us

Edited by hman205

oz.

is that too much resin close to the surface at the top or something?

M3Evo

<_< only got shown how to keep the colour in photos yesterday, the date settings will have to wait another couple of years :ph34r:

Not sure what ya mean about the too much resin dude?

The very top of the panel is gel-coated black if that's what you mean?

oz.

"The very top of the panel is gel-coated black if that's what you mean?"

I wondered why it was so dark and i couldnt see the weave! I thought that was as you'd taken it out of the mould.

M3Evo

Yeah tis how it came from the mould.

What ya do is apply an opaque coat of black gel to the inside of the mould and then laminate the CF on top of that.

If you were making a fibreglass part, you'd apply gel to the whole mould first.

M3Evo

Had a measure up of the volumes of cylinder and head today. Interesting findings!

Started off by setting No.1 piston down in its bore. Did this by zeroing the depth probe on a digi-vernier on the glass plate in the photo when the piston was at TDC, then rotated the crank so the piston was about 10mm down the bore. It occured to me while I was doing this that the measurement was important, not the 10mm, so 9.24mm was it :blink:

DSCI0325Small.jpg

Gave the piston a bead of vaseline to stop anything leaking past it:

DSCI0328Small.jpg

And also sealed the glass to the block with a smear of vaseline. Also checked that the deck was level with a spirit level:

DSCI0329Small.jpg

Finally measured the volume with a syringe and some meths. Any inert fluid would do though.

DSCI0330Small.jpg

Did the exact same thing with the cylinder head too:

DSCI0331Small.jpg

All the results were recorded on these bits of paper along with the workings:

DSCI0337Small.jpg

DSCI0339Small-2.jpg

DSCI0340Small-1.jpg

Looks like not only is the compression height wrong, so is the compression ratio! If I bring the effective deck height up to where it should be, the CR is 8.2:1.....when I ordered 8:1!

Turns out the 2.3 option is a non-starter too. It would give a 6.1:1 CR which is a bit on the low side for my liking :lol:

Also made a start on boot lid two this weekend! Decided not to mess about with cardboard as the basis for the mould, but instead to make some sacrificial fibreglass hems. Thing this should work nicely, hope it does anyway as it takes aaaaages to hem things up in cardboard!

DSCI0342Small-1.jpg

Edited by M3Evo

M3Evo

Ooh, random chance has suggested a possible solution to the HG problems!

The crank from the M51D25 has a stroke of 82.8mm which would drop the piston down by 0.6mm at TDC.

So the 'head vol is 40cc

The pistons add 12.6cc

The 0.6mm lower gives 3.4cc

The HG gives 10.1cc

and the swept vol is 469.8cc

Clearance vol is now 66.1cc

CR=(66.1+469.8)/66.1=8.1:1 with no super thick HG to worry about.

Hmmmmmmmm!

welshpug

will all that faffin for 0.1 be worth it?

M3Evo

Think it'll be less faff in the long run to not need a decomp plate myself as that means sending the HG I've got off to Ferriday for them to measure, gluing their plate to the head, getting a new one when the HG inevitably needs replacing at some point.

Does mean stripping the block again, but that's no big deal really.

Dom9

Really? For 0.1 CR points?

Really? :ph34r:

Are you working to that sort of tolerance?

Bolt it all together and get on with it, will you man!!

Having said that, I think my car has now been at Autofarm for about 6 weeks, so I am a fine one to talk - LOL!

taylorspug

So if you change the crank you will just need a gasket and no decomp plate, aswell as the compression change. Is that right? Where as at the moment you need the decomp plate to get near the compression you want?

M3Evo

If I change the crank, I get closer to the CR that I want, but more importantly the piston to 'head clearance is put back where it should be!

It's the piston to 'head clearance that's the biggest ass pain, just can't believe they got it wrong!

M3Evo

I'm carless at the moment as the Civic is having it's timing belt done! Took the opportunity to start work on the headgasket for the Touring I've had for the last 6 months, and also slot some other work in:

Boot lid is nice and shiny now from this:

DSCI0259Small-4.jpg

To this:

DSCI0260Small-7.jpg

And while the inlet's off of the touring, started making this for the throttles which I made for Brown a few years back:

DSCI0263Small-11.jpg

M3Evo

Gleee!

Think I've found a crank for about £75 or so.

It's cheap enough to take a punt on, just to see if it fits in the block and whatnot.

M3Evo

Gleeeee, the new (old) crank is paid for!

Just gotta get it through and I can start stripping the block......again.

It's no bad thing really as I wanna chamfer the bottoms of the bores, just to make sure the pistons don't catch, but I'd assembled the engine before I thought about that which disinclined me to do it. Having to strip everything down means I can do the job properly though! :ph34r:

M3Evo

Two slight setbacks to the engine build this weekend:

1) The crank needs a re-grind. Closer inspection of three of the mains reveals some corrosion where presumably the engine's been stood for ages.

2) I scratched my eyeball on saturday night so I could barely see on Sunday :)

DrSarty
2) I scratched my eyeball on saturday night so I could barely see on Sunday :)

Eeek. Howdya do that then?

M3Evo

It involves a friend's not-so-freshly-bic-bald-head, someone saying "pose for a photo!" and him going to stand up as I went to crouch down.

Somehow, the top of his stubbly head went straight into my eye and the stubbly goodness scratched the lens of of me peeper up :lol:

Very silly ;)

M3Evo

Don't suppose anyone knows how much (or even if you can buy) an fuel only Megasquirt it do they?

Had a thought the other day about the electronics to control the valves in my system.

They definately need to be mapped, rather than having a linear response. They also both need to be moved dependent on the pressure at the outlet of their corresponding turbo so I need two MAP sensors.

Also, there will be conditions, such as high revs, where the valves will need to be fully open regardless of pressure so a rev dependancy is also required.

All this leads me to think that a mappable injector controller would do the job nicely, one per valve.

Don't need anything other than that in the box of tricks, just a MAP and REV based PWM output.

The main ECU can control the external wastegate based on pressure in the manifold.

Any ideas on suppliers and prices? ;)

Cheers!

Dom9

I thought 'normal' Megasquirt (bearing in mind I haven't looked at it in a few years) was just injection only and the 'upgrade' was spark as well...

jackherer
I thought 'normal' Megasquirt (bearing in mind I haven't looked at it in a few years) was just injection only and the 'upgrade' was spark as well...

Thats correct, Megasquirt is the original injection only system and Megasquirt'n'spark extra is the one everyone actually uses.

I don't see why it wont do what you need, I've seen aquamist MF2s used in a similar way but a megasquirt is probably going to be a lot more flexible and powerful for the same sort of money.