• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

pip470

How on earth did you guess that Ben? And this sounds awesome. Casting wheel centres, I wouldn't know where to start. I'm not even sure what it is you are planning to do. Look forward to some pictures.

M3Evo

Oh my god I should've done this differently!

I covered the pattern for the charge cooler in resin which I was gonna sand back and polish. Unfortunately the resin is much more resistant to sanding than body filler so it's taking rather a long time ;)

Still, getting there!

The underside's almost done save for a little bit of making good. Filled the pots for the air outlets with plaster of paris to stop them from distorting whenever they had any weight put on them. Should've made them a bit shorter really thinking about it and might still chop them down to a more manageable size before making the molds.

Image0018Small.jpg

And the top side, which needs to be perfect (ha!) for shape and finish as it'll all be visible.

Image0019Small.jpg

M3Evo

Getting there slowly with the charge cooler pattern. Getting the visible faces nice and smooth / flat has taken quiiiite a long time! However, started to paint it this evening :)

DSCI0047Small.jpg

Also, cut back the outlet stubs last weekend as for some reason I'd made them huge and the more I looked at them I couldn't figure out why! Bit more manageable now:

DSCI0048Small.jpg

M3Evo

Been busy with holidays, meetings and new girlfriend of late so progress has been a bit slow.

Also, waiting for paint to dry is much like.....watching paint dry.

However, gave the pattern a couple of coats of metallic grey paint just as a guide coat, then laqured it about a million times and now.....finally....have flatted it back and polished the 'show' side :)

DSCI0131Small.jpg

DSCI0129Small.jpg

Have to say, it's immensely satisfying to have turned such a rough shape into something so smooth and shiny :D

Will start making the mold for the show side this weekend. The whole thing can then be turned over so the underside can be finished off, although this doesn't need to be quite so shiny :D

hman205

good work!!

M3Evo

Cheers dude! :)

Started on the mold for the top of the cooler today.

First step is to apply release wax. It says apply 3 to 5 coats, but I usually do a minimum of 8, just to be on the safe side.

DSCI0056Small.jpg

For unimportant bits, you can just apply a thick coat of candle wax.

Next up is to make up margins for the mold. Done this by taping release film to cardboard:

DSCI0057Small-10.jpg

This isn't the best way of doing things if you wanted dead flat flanges for example, but it's adequate for this mold.

These borders are then taped to the pattern and the little gap that's left filled with plasticine (forgot to photo the plasticine fillet!)

DSCI0058Small-10.jpg

And last up is gelling the mold before laying up some glass reinforcement. The gel is this rather fetching shade of green as it's a special tooling gel. Have to say I'm not very impressed with it as it's just run off of the vertical surfaces and sagged at the bottom!

DSCI0059Small-6.jpg

However, a very resin rich layer of surface tissue should prevent this from being a problem.

M3Evo

Have been slowly toiling away on the molds for the charge cooler of late.

The shiny side is all laid up, just have to pray that it releases all right! :)

Here's a quick snap of the underside:

Image0030Small.jpg

The underside mold needs making in three parts (there'll be a second split line at the narrowest points between the outlet stubs) or the molds wouldn't come off the pattern and the new parts wouldn't come out of the molds!

hman205

getting there now :)

M3Evo

Sloooooooly! :)

Latest update: Bordered up for the first half of the runners and started making the mold.

Praying that this all releases all right as it's pretty much 5 months work so far! :lol:

DSCI0057Small-11.jpg

M3Evo

Made a start on the prep for the final bit of the mold this afternoon.

Started off by stripping the border off of the pattern:

DSCI0056Small-1.jpg

And then cleaned all of the plasticine out of the nooks and crannies before drilling some location nubbins and coating with release agent (which is the blue stuff)

DSCI0056Small-2.jpg

pip470

I feel like Rolf Harris should be in the back ground with his diggeridoo saying "can you guess what it is yet?" Im looking forward to the finished thing as i know its going to be shiny, carbon fibre and super sexy. Until then I have no idea of what I am looking at. Keep up the good work!!!

M3Evo

The final part of the mold is curing as we speak!

Might do another couple of layers tomorrow, but in principal it's all in place ;)

DSCI0056Small-3.jpg

DSCI0058Small-11.jpg

Everybody cross their fingers that it all releases okay! ;)

BusEngineer

Were all rooting for you fella :(

hman205

Fingers and Toe's

M3Evo

Bit of a mixed bag with the cooler molds this weekend.

Haven't got a pic, but unfortunately the lovely polished paint I applied to the top side all dissolved under the resin! :ph34r:

The mold released fine (if a little stickily) and the paint cleans off easily enough, but there's a lot of flatting back and re-polishing to be done.

Good news is that the last section released...........after some stern persuasion! :lol:

DSCI0060Small-5.jpg

DSCI0058Small-12.jpg

Once the rest of the molds are released, I'll probably give them all a quick wax and PVA and knock up a crappy fibreglass shell just to make sure it all fits.

M3Evo

Started trying to sort out the mold for the top side of the cooler today.

Here's how it started:

DSCI0064Small-7.jpg

Note to all, don't use halfords paint under polyester resin! Not their fault at all, just found out the hard way! :)

And here's how far I got it this evening:

DSCI0066Small-4.jpg

Still some way to go!

Just to cheer myself up, released the remaining underside molds.

DSCI0067Small-3.jpg

They came off nice and easy and look pretty much good to go! :D

M3Evo

Thought I'd capitolise on being at my folks' house for a while by making another mold.

This is my first direct mold (where the mold is made without first making a pattern) and is for the new vacuum capsules.

It's ever-so-shiny because, inevitably, these are being made in carbon fibre :lol:

Image0048.jpg

Image0049.jpg

Idea is to make two halves per capsule, then bond them together with the diaphragm inbetween. Think probably silicone sealant should do fine for this.

hman205

what is the purpose of these capsules can't quite picture what they are .

M3Evo

They're to shift all of the various valves around under vacuum so one does the inlet air valve, one handles the transition between turbos in the exhaust, one will do the wastegate and the last one will do the dump valve. :rolleyes:

M3Evo

Had a quick trial run of the bottom half of the cooler this weekend.

Started off by waxing the three bits of the mold and then clamping them together. If you're not worried about the finish of the component, you can rub candle wax over the mold surface and the part will release dead easy. For a beld'n'braces approach, I coated it with PVA release agent too.

Image0051.jpg

Next up is to plug the seams so that resin doesn't get in there and glue the mold sections together. This is just plasticine but for the final parts I'll be silicone sealing the sections together as I need them to be air tight.

Image0052.jpg

And here's the result of a very quick and not especially thourough laminate of two plies of glass. Final produce will be 4 plies of carbon and one of diolen. This bit isn't much to look at, but it let me prove the molds release properly and I can use it to determine how long the trumpets need to be.

Image0058.jpg

Also let me check that the hose joiners actually fit! And also that there's enough room for a trumpet there. :)

Image0059.jpg

In other news, bought a little electric sander just to speed up the recovery of the top half of the mold. Hoping to get that finished this evening and then make a dummy top half so that it can all go under the bonnet to check for fit.

Image0060.jpg

Last but not least, here's the dummy bottom half with the cores in it:

Image0061.jpg

Image0062.jpg

M3Evo

Turns out there was quite a lot of work involved in healing the top of the mold.

Sanded all the way through the gel pretty much everywhere which means it can't be polished :lol:

The only remedy for this is to build up some layers of resin, top off with a flow coat and then flat and polish that.

Probably doesn't show up all that well, but here's the flow coated mold waiting to be finished and used :D

Image0063.jpg

M3Evo

Got slightly closer to the mold being ready to use last night :D

Image0064.jpg

Pretty much all the rough shaping is done so that the surfaces are flat. Any last imperfections will have to be sanded and polished off the final product which will have a good 1mm thick clear coat molded onto it.

All that remains to be done now is to fine sand and polish :(

Had a delivery of all the resin infusion materials I'll need to do a trial run too.

For the trial, gonne experiment with a fire-retardant corner to the mold (where it's near the exhaust housing of the big turbo), a bit of carbon fibre, this clear coating idea and generally how the process works and what kind of finish the resin clears to.

M3Evo

Ooh, doesn't look too bad now!

There are still some scabby areas, but these can be flatted back and polished on the final thing:

Image0068.jpg

Image0069.jpg

Have got as far as coat two (out of eight) of release wax. Not taking any chances with this one, the coats are going on, getting a least an hour to set up before being buffed off ready for the next one! Will cry if this goes wrong now! ;)

M3Evo

Still applying coats of release wax to the mold last night. Apply coat.....break surface film.....wait an hour.......buff off......apply coat..... :D

Up to coat 6 of 8 now though!

To ease the boredom between coats of wax, thought I'd re-start the sunroof. Gonna take molds from both the top side and the underside and then bond them together in much the same way that the factory did.

Plan is to make a direct replacement if people want it, so there's the option of having a tilt/slide carbon panel or it can be bonded in and all the mechanism binned :)

Image0070.jpg

Have built up 4 coats of clear resin on this which can now be sanded and polished. Not risking paint again! :lol:

M3Evo

Managed to get a few bits and bobs done over the last couple of days for the cooler case :P

First up, here's the clear coat. Put two layers on as hopefully any imperfections will be slight and can easily be rectified. This is just an experimental jobby so we'll see how well the two coats work.

Image0072.jpg

Had a bit of a panic about this all releasing so gave the edge a bit of a lift. Can't really see in the pic, but it's released easily....phew! :lol:

Image0073.jpg

Last messy job is to give the whole surface a good going over with 80 grit paper so that the reinforcements stick. Once it's all roughed up, give it a thourough cleaning with acetone.

Image0074.jpg

Next up, making a very accurate and space-age template for the reinforcements:

Image0075.jpg

And then it's onto loading the mold up with carbon:

Image0076.jpg

Two layers of glass:

Image0077.jpg

A layer of peel ply:

Image0078.jpg

Release film:

Image0079.jpg

and infusion mesh:

Image0080.jpg

Next job is to make the resin distribution network, vacuum path bag the whole thing up and also make a resin catch pot. It's all go 'ere! :P