• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ladderboy

Fuel pump corrosion problems

ladderboy

How can I protect my fuel pump from corrosion? I've got a 1994 1.9 Gti which is a LOOOOooooNG term project. I'm on about my 4th fuel pump. Every time I buy and install a new one, then sadly don't progress anything for a while, the fuel pump either fails (which is why it's the first thing I check) or I take it out, and it's COVERED in corrosion. Tried painting it with Hammerite then left it in petrol overnight, EVERYTHING had peeled off. Has anyone else seen this problem? Why don't they coat fuel pumps with something which is corrosion resistant? Why does SO MUCH corrosion occur inside a dry-stored fuel tank??? Suggestions welcomed :-)

petert
10 hours ago, ladderboy said:

How can I protect my fuel pump from corrosion? I've got a 1994 1.9 Gti which is a LOOOOooooNG term project. I'm on about my 4th fuel pump. Every time I buy and install a new one, then sadly don't progress anything for a while, the fuel pump either fails (which is why it's the first thing I check) or I take it out, and it's COVERED in corrosion. Tried painting it with Hammerite then left it in petrol overnight, EVERYTHING had peeled off. Has anyone else seen this problem? Why don't they coat fuel pumps with something which is corrosion resistant? Why does SO MUCH corrosion occur inside a dry-stored fuel tank??? Suggestions welcomed :-)

Stop buying fuels that contain ethanol?

Anthony

What fuel pumps are you buying?  Admittedly I've not pulled it to check for corrosion, but the 30+ year old OE Bosch pump in mine keeps working just fine despite sitting in a bath of E10 petrol.  I haven't heard of significant numbers of failures from others either like you would expect if modern fuel was killing them in short order.

Worth noting that there are a lot of fake fuel pumps out there - Bosch, Walbro and others - and they tend to fail prematurely regardless.

Also, Hammerite is rubbish these days (and has been for some years) - it's barely up to scratch for exposure to the atmosphere tbh, and certainly won't cope with being submerged in petrol.

1 hour ago, petert said:

Stop buying fuels that contain ethanol?

Easier said than done on this side of the world sadly - regular unleaded (95RON) is E10, super unleaded (98RON) is typically but not always E5.