• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

speno

This Will Be Interesting....

David1982

Justin if you want to go I will speak to Rob and tell him your there on behalf as I'm not going to be there in the day. Save you fiver at least

That goes for you as well Paul

Anthony

Lovin this thread.....

David has sent me some more picture which I have hosted for him. But before posting just wanted to clear up the cost of restoration question.

My point is that maybe now or at some stage in the future the 205/car restoration/classic car community will realise that the cost of an OE restoration is astonishing (when compared to similar), had I know the final cost I'd never have started. Perhaps the differentiation between a properly restored car and an immaculate low mileage one is that the low mileage one will still have 25 year old seals, hoses, mounts, rubbers and plastics.

What would the following cost (all new OE) if you could get them.

Front bumper

Rear bumper

External trims incl red insert

Window quarter seal

Door seal (Grey)

Full Light set incl driving lights and backs

Bonnet insulation

2 sealing strips (under bonnet and tailgate)

Rear glass

1/4 badge set

Internal carpets

So I think any OE restoration (if at all possible now) will easily be north of £20K

here are Davids Pics....Enjoy :)

Was there meant to be a link to the pictures?

I've no doubt that the cost to rebuild with all new parts is horrendous, although of course there's a question of what's a restoration and what's effectively building a new car for the sake of it.

I suspect it's one that different people would have different opinions on. Me personally I don't see that a "restored" car need necessarily have new trims, bumpers and the like providing that the ones on the car are in excellent condition, and given the eye-watering numbers mentioned earlier in this thread that's a whole chunk of cash saved right there if that's anything like reality.

Equally, I do agree with your point that a high value, low mileage unrestored car is going to have some age related degradation of things like rubbers.

Juttie205

Thanks david i will let you know.

mrfirepro

Was there meant to be a link to the pictures?

I've no doubt that the cost to rebuild with all new parts is horrendous, although of course there's a question of what's a restoration and what's effectively building a new car for the sake of it.

I suspect it's one that different people would have different opinions on. Me personally I don't see that a "restored" car need necessarily have new trims, bumpers and the like providing that the ones on the car are in excellent condition, and given the eye-watering numbers mentioned earlier in this thread that's a whole chunk of cash saved right there if that's anything like reality.

Equally, I do agree with your point that a high value, low mileage unrestored car is going to have some age related degradation of things like rubbers.

Building a new car v restoration is a nice way to summerise it... Anthony perhaps you've just invented a new clasification in the 205 world... :lol:

I 100% agree, my Miami is just starting restoration and I don't intend going my previous route and expect that it will be a equally pleasing car, just at a much lower cost and perhaps much more pleasurable to drive...

Juttie205

I agree paul I could have done my car for probably half the cost but I have chosen to source all these new hard to find parts when sometimes my original parts would have been fine. I have found doing my build it gets very addictive getting these new parts plus i have learnt alot doing mine and know where i could save money if i was to do again.

David1982

How far off are you Justin with your Dimma?

speno

your exactly right Anthony brand new unregistered shell I even have the barcode plate off it from the factory. It might not be a original dimma anymore but most defiantly is still a genuine one.

Ahh so it's not an original dimma now as you previously stated thanks for the verification

Juttie205

Im hoping a couple of months but it dont help i have to work offshore for 3 weeks at a time so not due back til the 9th then have 5 weeks before im away again for 3 weeks.

welshpug

What's going on with the ride height?!

David1982

There's always a few little bits to do even when you sit there and think it's done... Finally. Then I find out my seat are wrong. Little job for tha weekend tho so I don't mind. Why a Dimma mate something you have always wanted to do or what?

Juttie205

What does it matter to you mark if i call it a original or a genuine it could be called both in my opinion this thread is not about my car.

Juttie205

yep allways wanted a dimma when i was at school but they was allways to expensive then i got the chance to get one and then the project got a little out of hand.

David1982
What's going on with the ride height?![/quote

What's wrong with it pal? Have a done summit wrong? The front does look a little high. Maybe because it all brand new and they are Billys all round I don't no?

• Like 1

Simes

It is a bit low at the back for OE.

Still looks OK in the photos.

David1982

Yeah I've always liked them. A mate of mine has a Clio Williams Dimma that's a nice looking car an all. It was his dad's then he found it a few years back and bought it. Don't see many off those around.

Juttie205

Yeah the guy that fitted my kit and painted it has a clio dimma with a cosworth engine and 4wd running gear nice bit of kit.

David1982

It is a bit low at the back for OE.

Still looks OK in the photos.

Yeah it is ain't it. I think it still looks the bollocks though. I'm really happy with how it's turned out. 9 months start to finish ain't bad going either. Got to thank farmer in that as he was a real big help as were a few others.

• Like 1

David1982

are you doing your seats as well then? Pauls seat look good at pug fest I thought. Seen some not so good.

borufus

Hardly anal David, just stating an opinion , also it surely can't be classed as genuine Dimma either, as not built by Dimma or terry so it's just a copy at best, all these Dimma Owners go on about being genuine but unless you have the receipt / plaque how can one be "genuine"

Juttie205

yep seats are at the trimmers at the moment.

Juttie205

Terry has allready confirmed that mine is a genuine car as he supplied the kit.

David1982

I always find seats a nightmare I've used a few people over the years with mixed results. Be interested to see yours when finished. Where you sent them.

speno

What does it matter to you mark if i call it a original or a genuine it could be called both in my opinion this thread is not about my car.

Just quoting your words Justin. And yes it's not about your car but like most threads you comment on you make it about your car

I can't wait till you come to the Yorkshire meet in it this year.

• Like 2

Juttie205

seats have gone to a local guy Im quite lucky around my area as there are alot of people who do work for lotus in the area. I think my seats might be a bit like marmite as im being a little different with it with summit i wanted.

allanallen

Apparently Terry Pankhurst is going to buy Davids car and turn it into a 50k Dimma on a Q plate

• Like 5