• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

speno

This Will Be Interesting....

allye

please tell me your responsible for that very silly question.?? Allye your sounding like you don't like my car. All pictures will be up on ACA tomorrow so go look then come back and pick some more holes in it.

Of course I like the car! It's a 205 GTI. Was simply saying it would be funny if you had positioned the ramp like that as its a absolute cardinal sin with 205's and something a enthusiast would never do.

You were pretty shirty in the other thread when you didn't quite get the fawning reception you possibly anticipated. Might explain some of the slight negativity.

For me personally; it's more about something I love being talked about solely as a commodity. I would totally understand if you spent 20k restoring a 205 because you loved them and wanted a minter to drive and cherish. What I don't understand is restoring one for 20k, talking about it purely in value terms and then selling it to break even. Surely it's a complete and utter waste of time and money? It annoys me that whoever buys this will likely put it in a carcoon and think about it purely in percentages and not for the fact it'll go round a corner like a go-kart.

I get it; it's your money, it's the buyers money. But you can't expect to come on an enthusiasts forum and talk about the subject of that enthusiasm in a purely financial sense and expect a fantastic reception . It irks me enough when the main thing now that gets said to me at petrol stations etc when i'm in my 205 is 'oooh must be worth a few quid now eh?'.

Anyway, again, I thought you sold it for 20k? I wish you well. I hope that if someone does pay 20k for it (I'll be honest, I have my doubts...) then it's someone who genuinely has an interest in driving it and is wealthy enough to buy this example for that purpose. I think someone buying it for financial gain will find it's a fairly poor investment.

This man has hit the nail on the head for me.

• Like 1

nveeate

I'm guessing from the OP's statement that "maybe the owner knows summit that you lot don't" that he knows there's a buyer attending the auction that's prepared to pay top money.

There's certainly no financial sense in a restoration like this, as restoring purely to sell you'd need to value all the time and effort too (unless OP's time has no value!).... it would need to sell for a lot more than £20k. Perhaps the OP just likes the restoration process - not sure. Personally if I was looking for the best 205 I would far rather something low mileage and original, with all the history from new (cos I'm a loser like that) - but each to their own. Will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Edited by nveeate
  • Like 2

dcc

It's not even a good restoration which the owner is pretending it is :( (for the record I've never pretended my car isnt a '£500 boy racer thingy')

I'd be surprised if it goes above 6-8k. I'd certainly be surprised if who ever buys it is actually happy when they realise it's quite horrid in places and quite badly rattle can'd in others.

Just a shame more time and effort wasn't put in to this. Can't say its a shame more money wasn't ploughed in, as I certainly can't see where £20k would go on a 'restoration' of a standard car? Labour?

David1982

You said it was worth 3k last time so it's gone up in value according to you.. I'm flattered DC. Stick to your bangers.

Edited by David1982

dcc

Well at least you've only wasted £12-14000 now eh? Oh wait I forgot you claimed you'd sold it for £20k... haha

I love my bangers, cheaper the better. Much less likely to lose £20k on a rebuild with them. Anyway, I hope you at least break even, good luck with the sale

David1982

Thanks DC.

I have a load of s*itty old bits/parts etc that I was going to bin your more than welcome to come have them. I'm in South Wales don't no how far that is from you.

Edited by David1982

mrfirepro

It's good to see all these comments, I hope this thread doesn't go the way of the last thread as that would be a waste of a good opportunity for comment/debate on a subject that will be high on a list of issues for any future restorer.

Having got totally carried away with my restoration, I can confirm that it's very simple to spend north of £20K on a restoration, particularly with the price (when available) of new parts.

My point is that irrespective whether it is a good or bad restoration or worth it or not, someone will buy that car, which will set a benchmark, which undoubtedly will have an influence on the extend people will go to on future restorations. Of course there will be some that will do it for the love of the car irrespective of financial loss or gain.

I wish David luck and hope that he can get his money back but for me £12 - £14k is my bet.

I may just go along on the day...anyone else interested??

If it was my car being sold I'd remove the photos of it on the ramp :) .

Edited by mrfirepro

David1982

Hi Paul the reserve is set at 18k as advised by the valuer so if it don't get to that it won't sell. I predict early 20's on this one. Maybe I have upset a few people on this one because I'm not a true enthusiast just someone who thinks the 205 Gti is a great little iconic car that in my opinion should be up there in value with the mk1 gold and RS fords etc.

I'll put it on the transporter and off it goes. If you go Paul let me know what you think of the car as I thought yours was excellent.

Edited by David1982

Mac Crash

It irks me enough when the main thing now that gets said to me at petrol stations etc when i'm in my 205 is 'oooh must be worth a few quid now eh?'.

Totally agree on that but understand why... I just nod, but in my mind I'm thinking... no, not really, it's several different colours of cherry red, the beams shagged, the seats are knackered, the windscreen is chipped, everything inside the car rattles and vibrates, sonic boom starts at 50mph, it leaks, the carpets are wet, the engine leaks oil... but I still love it because it's a 1.9 GTi, best fast hatch ever made, it'll never be worth 20k but then I don't mind, it doesn't owe me anything, paid £500 and part exchange of a 306 tdi estate with failed MOT for it... when the rally car is up and running I'll find some time for her in the workshop, she's earned it...

• Like 2

Miles

Nice car, But I think the term as close as new is these car's where never like that when new as wax and paint was never that good so to me there are a few ways to restore a car either

Original, with all the old parts where possible

Standard, As it would have been out of the factory

Better than std, Painted and done like yours

Concourse, As the title

nomis

Be interesting to see what happens, good luck with the sale.

What's interesting in all this is: say you are the kind of person who hangs out on Pistonheads and actually has a three or four car garage that includes a Ferrari, an M series BMW and a family car, for example.

You always loved the 205 gti but never had one, fancy spending some money on a fun classic that you don't think will drop value, have watched fast Fords rocket and have been reading glossier and glossier 205 hot hatch hero articles in the magazines.

The 205 is cheaper than a Golf and Delta - your Ferrari is worth 30k more than you paid for it - and you think that 205 looks like it's been totally done and I won't have to spend anything on it...

That's the kind of person I see buying these cars.

There aren't many of those people about, but they are there.

Hopefully, they'll drive them too.

Edited by nomis

Bobbafett

I think the difference with a 'restored' one over buying an original low-miler is the restored one might be chock-full of filler and pattern parts. I'm sure this one isn't and if you were spending 20k on a resto you'd want to see the receipts etc for all the parts. If this one goes for big money then i'm sure that some dubious restos will pop up that are being held together by P38!

David1982

Any pictures of the engine?

Your car looks lovley slo fair play very nice indeed. I'll see if paul will put a few pics up of mine.

Bobbafett

Any pictures of the engine?

I really like your flywheel cover :)

• Like 1

David1982

Haha funny. There be plenty more for you pick through later.

Slo

Bobbafett has made a good point there about restorations springing up full of p38 and patent parts.

Sadly the picture i posted isn't mine although i do have some more of it

post-21076-0-76179800-1456770462_thumb.jpg

David1982

Ah ok. What's p38?

New parts for these car are astronomical. If you can find them that is. Spain is a good hunting ground, as is farmer of course.

Edited by David1982

nveeate

Ah ok. What's p38?

Car body filler (or old Range Rovers).

• Like 2

David1982

Ah rite!! If done properly filler work can look good to straighten the odd panel up.

In my opinion

Edited by David1982

welshpug

I dont think stretchy cv boots are o.e are they.

David1982

You should know welshpug. You are the man that knows so I keep getting told.

205Rallee

Well I've been enjoying the banter on the two threads about this car. Clearly the vendor is successfully using the forum to advertise his car and he's going to make a profit as someone will buy it at auction, let's face it £20k is peanuts in the classic car buying world.

It is amusing that it's been jacked up where all the non Peugeot people would jack it up, but again the buyer won't even notice.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum to this. I've rebuilt my Dad's one owner FSH never damaged 1.9 GTi and I've reused/refurbished as many of the original parts as possible. I could have repainted under the wheelarches, but I know that it came from the factory with cherry red (ok vallelunga rouge or whatever it is really called) paint in places and the undercoat in others and that's the way it is staying. The engine parts which were that shiny bronzey coating were never as shiny as on all these restorations, so I've cleaned them up and they look much as they did when they were new. I've replaced two of the seat bolsters with new ones but the seats don't look over stuffed like many do. The car doesn't creak or rattle and that's because it's original and unabused, with 170k on the clock and evidence of every 6k oil change etc.

I just hope the OP gets £22k as I can then tell my wife that all the money I've spent on Dads old car is truly an investment :) :)

PS Anyone seen a Euro Rallye going for over £30k, at which point I will then be able to tell her indoors that I've broken even on 20 years spending on that car!