• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

speno

This Will Be Interesting....

Bobbafett

There's no flywheel cover. Mine has a flywheel cover. Mine is more original.

:)

• Like 1

j_turnell

Not sure the position of the front feet of the ramp will be doing it any favors. Looks good, but I wouldn't want to drive it, too clean, which is ultimately the whole point of having a 205 imo.

Alan77

Pointless pumping 20k into it and then breaking even...

Simes

Jacking points ahh!!

Is this a car we already know about???

Potentially the owner may make a loss........

• Like 1

David1982

Now now gents have a look on ACA Monday and you will see finished pics of the car. Maybe the owner knows summit you lot don't. 20k plus all day long. Which will intern make these little cars rise in value.

Edited by David1982

welshpug

Now now gents have a look on ACA Monday and you will see finished pics of the car. Maybe the owner knows summit you lot don't. 20k plus all day long. Which will intern make these little cars rise in value.

do you always talk in the third person?

• Like 2

speno

What do they charge dave for the auction ? Is it a percentage of the sale price

I've got a 3dr goodwood i might stick in there

David1982

what you on about Welsh pug? Talk in a third person.

David1982

Percentage of the hammer price as does every auction. Plus entry fee.

I have two cars going through so have a small discount on percentage

Edited by David1982
  • Like 1

Bobbafett

I thought you said it had sold already for 20k in the other thread, anyway?

Like has been said; spending 20k on a car to then sell it for 20k is like sucking eggs. I'd rather spend 25k on an extension for my house and make 50k!

I don't want them to rise in value because i'll never sell (I actually like my 205. To, you know, drive....) but it increases the chances of some scrote stealing mine.

• Like 3

dcc

"Almost £20,000 has been invested in the restoration of this 1.9GTi"

60891134.jpg

• Like 2

Alastairh

What do they charge dave for the auction ? Is it a percentage of the sale price

I've got a 3dr goodwood i might stick in there

If you are serious, my experience of seeing the Anglian auction setup, is that on the day before viewing day (I witnessed this as I was working near by) that the storage yard of old cars cars has little/no security during opening hours. Meaning that any muppet could be looking over the lovely Cosworths or even a genuine 20k 205.

I would imagine the more mainstream auction houses would be better, or eBay seems fairly strong these days.

David1982

I'm a member of lots of car forums through buying restoring selling etc, don't get the negativity with some of you guys. Not all but some. Keyboard warriors... Jealousy. Who knows. Fact is all publicity is good publicity

Simes

Thank you.

Please all keep it to the topic.

speno

I think it will be good to see how much this goes for tbh then the bench mark will be set . Everyone has a opinion. So let's see who will be right

allye

Please tell me you're responsible for the dodgy ramp arm positions on the chassis?

Because that would be absolute top draw banter.

David1982

please tell me your responsible for that very silly question.?? Allye your sounding like you don't like my car. All pictures will be up on ACA tomorrow so go look then come back and pick some more holes in it.

steve@cornwall

Interesting indeed. 20k is less in real terms than a new gti 30 cost years ago. (If you were working then think of salaries) . 30 years ago you could walk into any dealership and drop a year and a half's salary on a little French hatchback that, let's face it, could have well been poorly built.......but fun! Many did just that. Now it is impossible to buy a fun little hatchback to compare, such is progress and legislation. Personally I'm neither wealthy enough to purchase or build a car like this (or skilled enough) . Whatever price it achieves it is unlikely to depreciate like a new car even if used daily.

Not everybody will see the hours of work as a costed commodity, but as leisure time which usually costs money!

Whether anything is worth 20k is subject to be to the individual, if money is no object and you wanted something how do you value it?

welshpug

hmm, I think they were 6.5k in 84 and 15k in 94

David1982

people want as new cars from back in the day.... Hence why people restore cars. Some people would not pay top money for a restored car. Some people will. It's irrelevant what you or I think it's worth it's what someone at the auction is willing to pay. And I've sold enough restored cars to know these little cars fully done are 20k.

Bobbafett

You were pretty shirty in the other thread when you didn't quite get the fawning reception you possibly anticipated. Might explain some of the slight negativity.

For me personally; it's more about something I love being talked about solely as a commodity. I would totally understand if you spent 20k restoring a 205 because you loved them and wanted a minter to drive and cherish. What I don't understand is restoring one for 20k, talking about it purely in value terms and then selling it to break even. Surely it's a complete and utter waste of time and money? It annoys me that whoever buys this will likely put it in a carcoon and think about it purely in percentages and not for the fact it'll go round a corner like a go-kart.

I get it; it's your money, it's the buyers money. But you can't expect to come on an enthusiasts forum and talk about the subject of that enthusiasm in a purely financial sense and expect a fantastic reception . It irks me enough when the main thing now that gets said to me at petrol stations etc when i'm in my 205 is 'oooh must be worth a few quid now eh?'.

Anyway, again, I thought you sold it for 20k? I wish you well. I hope that if someone does pay 20k for it (I'll be honest, I have my doubts...) then it's someone who genuinely has an interest in driving it and is wealthy enough to buy this example for that purpose. I think someone buying it for financial gain will find it's a fairly poor investment.

• Like 5

David1982

So knowing you car maybe worth decent money irks you as you put it. I don't get it. Sorry but surely if these cars start fetching good money it's good for you. Because one day you want/need to sell it as you do everything you own in life, and as for the fawning reception no I wanted advice. I only disagreed with dcc because in my opinion and I am allowed one.. He is building cars at the other end of the market.

Edited by David1982

Simes

Ok - please keep this civil and on topic.