• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lemmingzappa

1990 205 Gti 2.0 8V Turbo Conversion (Xu10J2Te)

petert

What about making a Lynx supercharger style log manifold? ie chop off the injector flange and say 50mm of manifold. Weld that to 75x75x5 aluminium extrusion. The GTi6 TB mates up well to that, via a plate. 

32254D5F-22B4-43C0-A9ED-D5E2F21C809A.jpeg

Edited by petert

wicked
11 hours ago, lemmingzappa said:

413DB72E-6F41-4355-921B-79E0B8ABA29F.thumb.jpeg.e8a3b0592e31d0d9d1b8e4d070798315.jpeg

Hi all, long time no speak! The car is still going well but I’m hoping to run more boost which will ultimately involve a better exhaust manifold, management etc..

Can anyone tell me how much work is involved with regards to using a 306 GTi-6 throttle body in conjunction with an XU9 inlet manifold?

I’m aware the inlet ports will need grinding out to match the head and the 306 TB could be welded on, but not sure about the different sensors and switches which would potentially be missing or need swapping to the 306 unit.

Are that medium arches? 

BakerBm does an adapter for the throttle body on 1.9 inlet:

https://www.bakerbm.com/adaptor-to-fit-306-gti-6-throttle-body-to-205-gti-inlet-manifold.html

Edited by wicked

lemmingzappa
14 hours ago, petert said:

What about making a Lynx supercharger style log manifold? ie chop off the injector flange and say 50mm of manifold. Weld that to 75x75x5 aluminium extrusion. The GTi6 TB mates up well to that, via a plate. 

32254D5F-22B4-43C0-A9ED-D5E2F21C809A.jpeg

Food for thought. Although I’m not sure what the advantage of that shape would be over say the XU9 manifold?

9 hours ago, wicked said:

Are that medium arches? 

BakerBm does an adapter for the throttle body on 1.9 inlet:

https://www.bakerbm.com/adaptor-to-fit-306-gti-6-throttle-body-to-205-gti-inlet-manifold.html

Narrow arches if I remember correctly. Yea I did see that adapter, but may resort to welding to save on cost.

petert
1 hour ago, lemmingzappa said:

Food for thought. Although I’m not sure what the advantage of that shape would be over say the XU9 manifold?

How will you make the rectangular port shape of the XU9 manifold match the round ports of the XU10 head? 

lemmingzappa
1 minute ago, petert said:

How will you make the rectangular port shape of the XU9 manifold match the round ports of the XU10 head? 

I’m yet to measure it, but have a manifold sat spare. I was under the impression people had done this a few times in the past by grinding the manifold out to suit.

If I had the wrong end of the stick this whole time then your suggestion is a good shout!

Cheers.

DamirGTI

With the XU10J2 manifold there's space/clearance issue up front towards the radiator , and upwards towards the bonnet .

If wanted to use one of those , would need to shorten it to fit :

... this engine (XU10J2 head on XU9 DFZ block) on which i installed XU10J2 manifold prior to that had XU9 standard inlet bolted on .

Double barrel Mi16 style TB arranged backwards on that manifold is also a bit weird for plumbing , hose/pipework routing ,  also main oval TB connecting air hose is notoriously hard to find ! (unless aftermarket made silicone item)

One interesting topic for reading with regards to these manifolds :

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1738

Wanted to try XU10J2 manifold on one of my XU9 NA engines but , not sure if it's worth the bother ?!

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

J44YCR
On 1/8/2023 at 8:55 PM, lemmingzappa said:

Hi mate im sorry this is off topic, I tried to message you but it won't let me, I'm currently trying to fit the same engine in mine, the engine will be out the 406 as of tomorrow then I'm going to do work to it before fitting it. I was wondering if you could tell me what mounts you have used, shafts, breaks, which bits of loom I need to keep, anything that will help me out I will really appreciate, if you have Instagram feel free to add me to see my progress. Username J44YCR 

lemmingzappa
1 minute ago, J44YCR said:

Mounts wise, Mi16 bits and an extended lower fork. There should be pics in this thread already.

1.6 shafts & hubs. 1.9 calipers.

My engine & loom came out of an earlier Citroen XM and I believe the wiring is different, especially in terms of placement. @Anthony kindly did my loom and it didn’t sound particularly straight forward, but hopefully your 406 bits will easier to manage. You’ll likely find more conversions have been done using the 406 loom & ECU.

• Like 1

J44YCR
5 minutes ago, lemmingzappa said:

Mounts wise, Mi16 bits and an extended lower fork. There should be pics in this thread already.

1.6 shafts & hubs. 1.9 calipers.

My engine & loom came out of an earlier Citroen XM and I believe the wiring is different, especially in terms of placement. @Anthony kindly did my loom and it didn’t sound particularly straight forward, but hopefully your 406 bits will easier to manage. You’ll likely find more conversions have been done using the 406 loom & ECU.

Nice one mate thank you will start looking for the bits now, im shocked at how 1.6 drive shafts take the power.

I been told I need to run a mi16 flywheel, clutch and a 306 TD gearbox I seen on some of your posts your running the same. I'm really looking forward to this build think wiring for me will be the biggest issue.

Once its in and I'm happy with it I will be looking at more power, been told the turbo manifold holds them back alot

lemmingzappa
24 minutes ago, J44YCR said:

Yes i’m running a lightened billet Mi16 flywheel and Helix paddle clutch. I was originally running a 1.9 BE3 box but it started having problems with leakage in the input shaft area and I couldn’t fix it (even after replacing all the surrounding seals and bearing with new genuine parts).

In the end I bought another box which was listed as a 1.9, but I was mugged off and it turned out to be a diesel box. 

Been running that ever since despite the ratios not being to my taste.

• Thanks 1

Slo

You need the mi16 flywheel because the ecu needs to read the timing teeth you can use a Citroën bx one too bonus is you get to use a 215mm clutch over the standard 200m. Imo your far better off using a 205 turbo diesel box as it matches the power better and you won't lose right lock as you will with a 306 box (bigger end plate restricting lock)

Wiring is easy enough if you can do wiring the hardest part of the conversion for me was the plumbing and welding a custom downpipe

Edited by Slo
  • Like 1

wicked
15 hours ago, Slo said:

..and you won't lose right lock as you will with a 306 box (bigger end plate restricting lock)

That is only with the 6 speed box of 306 Gti6. Never had issues with the 5 speed 1.9TD box...

• Like 1

Anthony

Glad to see that the 205's still going strong Josh :)

21 hours ago, lemmingzappa said:

My engine & loom came out of an earlier Citroen XM and I believe the wiring is different, especially in terms of placement. @Anthony kindly did my loom and it didn’t sound particularly straight forward, but hopefully your 406 bits will easier to manage. You’ll likely find more conversions have been done using the 406 loom & ECU.

In terms of wiring it up so that it will plug into a 205 and start/run, it's not any more challenging than say a GTi-6 conversion.  The headache was that the ECU is positioned behind the (RHD) drivers headlight in the XM and to do a tidy job needs the loom modifying and extending to locate the ECU behind the battery in the 205's engine bay where Josh wanted it.

I've not converted a 406 2.0 Turbo loom for use in a 205, but from what I can see, while it also locates the ECU behind the drivers side headlight it looks to be noticeably longer and thus probably wouldn't need to be extended to relocate the ECU to somewhere more sensible - but I'll let someone that's actually done the conversion confirm that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Slo

I extended mine about 12 inch one wire at a time soldered and shielded and with a degree of difficulty managed to get the large header through a small hole in the bulkhead and it now lives where the original ecu did behind the steering column on a makeshift bracket. My lump came from a phase 1 605 and has colour coded wiring with numbers unlike the Citroën all green wiring. I kept the keypad too as it doesn't have the same immobiliser as the 406 version

• Like 1

X-mo

Hi,

you could just use an adapter plate.

img_20200912_203942_bx2kqe.jpg

img_20200912_205315_b6tjuy.jpg

img_20200426_191536bsjru.jpg

Did it like that on my XU10J2TE with the a XU9JAZ inlet. Works perfekt and I admit that my ports are not matched.

• Thanks 1

Steve
2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Glad to see that the 205's still going strong Josh :)

In terms of wiring it up so that it will plug into a 205 and start/run, it's not any more challenging than say a GTi-6 conversion.  The headache was that the ECU is positioned behind the (RHD) drivers headlight in the XM and to do a tidy job needs the loom modifying and extending to locate the ECU behind the battery in the 205's engine bay where Josh wanted it.

I've not converted a 406 2.0 Turbo loom for use in a 205, but from what I can see, while it also locates the ECU behind the drivers side headlight it looks to be noticeably longer and thus probably wouldn't need to be extended to relocate the ECU to somewhere more sensible - but I'll let someone that's actually done the conversion confirm that.

I cut a ecu sized slot in the o/s inner wing then made a box and slotted the ecu in, works a treat. I’ll get a photo tomorrow 

• Thanks 1

lemmingzappa

I now have a new problem with the car only running on 2 cylinders. I have no spark at cyls 1 & 4. At first I suspected the coilpack so I've swapped that for a new one and the issue persists. It's also not a problem with the HT leads.

What's the best way to test the 4-pin plug which is going to the coil?

Could the ignition amp or crank sensor be at fault, or is this more likely to be an issue with the ECU?

EDIT: i'm now investigating the ignition amp side of things and will update the thread!

Edited by lemmingzappa

lemmingzappa

65CDC6CA-79F9-4A34-98D9-799F414DB19D.thumb.jpeg.5bee6f62a45b083125770b040cc3ecd0.jpeg

Problem solved! Got it running again by cleaning it up but will be replacing it now regardless.