• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lemmingzappa

1990 205 Gti 2.0 8V Turbo Conversion (Xu10J2Te)

pugdamo

I love the noise of a boosted car, how are you finding it? This conversion doesn't seem to be that well liked but I loved mine, I miss my old turbo 309.

lemmingzappa

I love it to be honest, not sure why it's disliked by many! Quick and fun to drive. Revier than I thought it would be too.

• Like 1

jackherer

It's not true, those engines are asthmatic boat anchors that don't rev, you should return it to the seller you got it from and try to get your money back :P

welshpug

revvy = runs out of puff as quick as a diesel, hmm.

no.

:lol:

lemmingzappa

I did say revier than I thought!

Reebmit

It's not true, those engines are asthmatic boat anchors that don't rev :P

Couldn't have said it better ????

When I bought mine I took it out a few days later and gave it away free!!

Edited by Reebmit

allye

Is the split speedo drive a genuine one or one of the pattern ones? Seen them for ~£15 on eBay.

lemmingzappa

Is the split speedo drive a genuine one or one of the pattern ones? Seen them for ~£15 on eBay.

It's a cheapo eBay one. The drive cable seems to fit fine but the speedos not working so need to look at that. No idea if it's doing its job properly sensor wise either, but the car seems to be running well. I've heard it can affect fuel economy and idle?

jackherer

Couldn't have said it better

Apparently I could have said it better, I was being sarcastic, I think they are good at what they claim to be and it sounds like some other people do too.

It's a cheapo eBay one. The drive cable seems to fit fine but the speedos not working so need to look at that. No idea if it's doing its job properly sensor wise either, but the car seems to be running well. I've heard it can affect fuel economy and idle?

When the sensor isn't working they tend to struggle as you pull away in first gear but are fine once on the move, passengers get the impression you can't control the clutch pedal!

I just thought, an auto ECU might have slightly different mapping at that point in the rev range? If they are different to manual ECUs that is?

• Like 1

lemmingzappa

When the sensor isn't working they tend to struggle as you pull away in first gear but are fine once on the move, passengers get the impression you can't control the clutch pedal!

I just thought, an auto ECU might have slightly different mapping at that point in the rev range? If they are different to manual ECUs that is?

Ah I see. Seems fine pulling away :) Not that 1st gear is very usable.

I'll have to check the ECU number!

Reebmit
Apparently I could have said it better, I was being sarcastic, I think they are good at what they claim to be and it sounds like some other people do

Yeah, each to their own, thats whats good about having so many different engine options for 205's.... theres one for everyone...

• Like 1

jackherer

Ah I see. Seems fine pulling away :) Not that 1st gear is very usable.

Try unplugging the speedo sensor and if it gets worse you know it works ;)

pugdamo

Not sure if you did already but it's worth adding the diagnostic socket, I had one in mine and it makes life easier for stuff like this, a quick run with the laptop on it and you can see is all OK.

lemmingzappa

Not sure if you did already but it's worth adding the diagnostic socket, I had one in mine and it makes life easier for stuff like this, a quick run with the laptop on it and you can see is all OK.

What software do you use?

wicked

The loom is different; there is 1 pin connected different to indicate that it's automatic.

Regarding the engine; fit gti cam and programmable ecu and it will rev much better. In standard form it's never meant to rev..

With a slightly bigger turbo as well I got flat torque (300+ Nm) from 2750-5000rpm. Maybe still diesel ballpark but with the 1.9td gearbox it's fun to drive and easily driven hard...

lemmingzappa

The loom is different; there is 1 pin connected different to indicate that it's automatic.

Regarding the engine; fit gti cam and programmable ecu and it will rev much better. In standard form it's never meant to rev..

Is that connected pin affecting the way my engine runs even though it has a manual box on it?

It has a DKZ cam already. I'll be moving on to management in the future, but for now I'll just enjoy it. Quick enough for me.

Slo

Are you sure its different? Ive had an engine from a manual and an auto and both were same ecu's. I didnt notice a difference in the ecu plug though.

I just used the existing 2 pin obd socket with that extra lead you get in the lexia kit and was surprised to see it communicated with it flawlessly, would the ecu know if the speed sensor was plugged in or not or is it just a case of driving and watching if road speed is registered? I have a new genuine one on mine and it doesnt seem to make a difference if its plugged in or not. On the original car its purpose was amongst other things for cruise control, abs, esp and variable power steering.

Edited by Slo

pugdamo

I would have thought it would throw up a fault of it was missing or not plugged in. I had the 30 pin plug on mine but that went with the car when I scrapped it so put a 16 pin plug in, the only problem with that was the 605 never had a 16 pin socket and wouldn't recognise it so I had to put it in as a 406,I just took it for a spin and watched all the data to make sure everything was reading.

I would have thought vehicle speed may be used by the computer for initial take up /pulling away to alter the fueling map.

I never had mine disconnected so I have no idea if it made a difference in mine.

lemmingzappa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdIOzuFNLE4

I've removed the recirc and the noises are nicer. Arguably will reduce the turbo life but that's how it goes I guess....

If you listen at 50 seconds I suspect the engine is pinking which is a bit worrying. I've since wound down the boost a touch :o

I've probably heard this around 3 times to date and have backed off straight away each time.

Edited by lemmingzappa

Kambo

:D

Woop Woop! whats Mr Hall up to now then eh? :o

I knew a turbo conversion was on the cards at some point! top work fella, subscribed

Robbi
On 11.7.2015 at 19:27, lemmingzappa said:

Foto%2023-06-2015%2019%2036%2057_zps7jw

Zeit, diese neue solide Gabelhalterung anzubringen, ich habe keinen Zugang zu einer Presse oder Demontagewerkzeugen, also habe ich eine 30-mm-Lochsäge verwendet und dann die neue mit etwas Fett und einem Schraubstock hineingedrückt.

Foto%2001-07-2015%2012%2007%2040_zpsdgp

Foto%2001-07-2015%2012%2015%2038_zpsbag

Die SRi/BX-Box, die ich verwende, hatte einen Wählarm, den ich nicht verwenden könnte. Treiben Sie den Stift mit einem Schlag heraus und ziehen Sie den alten Arm weg, stellen Sie sicher, dass die Schachtel an dieser Stelle auf dem Kopf steht, damit nichts hineinfällt.

Foto%2001-07-2015%2012%2018%2052_zps76j

Foto%2001-07-2015%2012%2050%2018_zpshbg

Korrekter Arm aus einer anderen GTi BE3-Box, jetzt eingebaut.

Foto%2009-07-2015%2017%2058%2040_zpsdsy

Neue Originalstecker und Tachoantriebsdichtung für die Box. Ich bin mir noch nicht sicher, ob ich den Rückwärtsgang verwenden werde.

Foto%2009-07-2015%2018%2030%2046_zps4uj

Entfernte die alte Antriebswellendichtung (PITA, wünschte, ich wüsste eine schnellere und sauberere Möglichkeit, diese zu entfernen).

Foto%2009-07-2015%2018%2030%2053_zpsgfl

Foto%2009-07-2015%2018%2035%2031_zps2dh

Neue Dichtung montiert!

Foto%2009-07-2015%2018%2038%2007_zpsspt

Zeit, den Geschwindigkeitssensor auf den 3-Pin-Dual-Typ umzustellen. Ich habe zuerst das Tachoantriebszahnrad aus dem bestehenden Setup entfernt.

Foto%2009-07-2015%2018%2039%2016_zpsbcm

Dann in die neue Doppeleinheit geschoben.

Foto%2009-07-2015%2018%2043%2023_zpswif

Bereit zu gehen!

Foto%2010-07-2015%2009%2014%2038_zpsuvw

Ich habe mir ein brandneues Original VAG '710N' Umlaufventil besorgt. Die bisher neueste Version ist die „710P“, die im Audi RS6 verwendet wird, aber diese können den Boost nicht so gut halten wie die N-Versionen.

Foto%2010-07-2015%2018%2008%2022_zpsul7

Als nächstes bemerkte ich diesen Ring am Ende der Kurbel, war mir nicht sicher, ob die BE3-Eingangswelle darin passen würde. Möglich nur etwas auf den Auto-Turbo-Blöcken gefunden.

Foto%2010-07-2015%2017%2051%2044_zps0ah

Definitiv nicht, da die Eingangswelle etwa 15 mm lang ist.

Foto%2010-07-2015%2018%2010%2034_zpsvhk

Glücklicherweise lassen sich diese leicht mit einem Schraubendreher entfernen, da sie aus Kunststoff bestehen!

Foto%2010-07-2015%2018%2052%2007_zpsczz

Ging zum Einbau der Kupplung und der Druckplatte und machte den dummen Fehler, die Schrauben zu fest anzuziehen, die dann im Schwungrad abscherten.

Foto%2011-07-2015%2010%2008%2017_zpsekp

Glücklicherweise konnte ich dies entfernen, indem ich ein 3-mm-Pilotloch bohrte und einen 4-mm-Inbusschlüssel hineinhämmerte und dann von Hand entfernte.

From which vehicle did you use the Gearbox?

petert

I too made a small solid bush for the bottom engine mount in the my race car. I ended up reverting to oem, as it puts a huge amount of force on the front cross member bolt. Despite my best efforts, it just kept on coming lose.

Edited by petert

lemmingzappa

413DB72E-6F41-4355-921B-79E0B8ABA29F.thumb.jpeg.e8a3b0592e31d0d9d1b8e4d070798315.jpeg

Hi all, long time no speak! The car is still going well but I’m hoping to run more boost which will ultimately involve a better exhaust manifold, management etc..

Can anyone tell me how much work is involved with regards to using a 306 GTi-6 throttle body in conjunction with an XU9 inlet manifold?

I’m aware the inlet ports will need grinding out to match the head and the 306 TB could be welded on, but not sure about the different sensors and switches which would potentially be missing or need swapping to the 306 unit.

• Like 2