• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
denchy33

205 Gti Misfiring When Underload

jackherer

I'm not sure when I'm next going to be in Chelmsford but I can bring an ignition amp with me for you to try.

denchy33

Oh are you not far away then ? That would be a great help if you could mate thanks !

jackherer

I used to live in Chelmsford, I live between Colchester and Ipswich now but I still visit Chelmsford fairly regularly. I'll PM you next time I head that way.

denchy33

Oh do you ok thanks mate i would really appreciate it ! , thick question but when you pm me will it come through as an email like my replies to this post does ?

Thanks

jackherer

I don't think it will automatically but you can change the settings so it does.

Click your username at the top of the window, then click 'My Settings', then click 'Notification Options' on the left side of the window. Scroll down to Private Messages then check the boxes for email notification.

denchy33

Can u ok ill do that later when im on the laptop as dont think i can do it through my phone

Cheers mate

denchy33

Hi all , i put a new coil on it today but ive still got the slight misfire at 3500/4000 rpm :( so think im gonna have to try and get a new ignition amp next farmer have you still got that new blue bosch 1 you said about before mate ?

theoilburner

I bought a second hand ignition amplifier (Bosch blue) off ebay for £30 delivered. Can't tell you if it has solved my misfire problem as I haven't had chance it fit it yet, but I have exactly the same problem as you at the same time / revs.

Very obvious one and sorry if it has already been mentioned but have you checked the intake housing / hoses / pipes for splits or damage that could let excess air through?

Good luck getting it sorted, I know how annoying it is.

denchy33

Hi mate did u yeah i was thinking of getting a 2nd hand 1 off ebay but i worry it could also be defective so think ill get new 1 to be safe , yeah i have checked hoses 1 of them has a tiny little nick in it so i will try fixing that defo worth a try thanks for the advise mate

welshpug

have you checked the condition of the plugs? personally I'd be looking to make sure the fuelling is correct as much as the ignition.

denchy33

Yeah the plugs are fairly new tbh they had been sooting up a lot and the car has anyways smelt very fuelly since ive had it but since ive changed water temp sensor and leads it doesnt smell at all but the plugs are still getting a bit sooty number 4(closest to dizzy ) is always the worse 1 but im assuming they soot up a bit because of the misfire ?

theoilburner

have you checked the condition of the plugs? personally I'd be looking to make sure the fuelling is correct as much as the ignition.

Good shout. When I have everything fitted I am going to get my car set up properly at the garage with the CO2 meter etc... Make sure that the fuelling is spot on

denchy33

Yeah i mean mine defo needs setting up properly so if new ignition amp doesnt work ill have to get it taxed n moted and take it to garage to set it up spot on

opticaltrigger

If your a bit handy with a soldering iron the ignition amp is nothing special really.Basically it's a transistor in there and if you give it a little tickle from the reluctor output in the distributor it will fire the coil.

When you have it set up for you, If they have a scope it will show if there is a problem with either the reluctor pulse or the trigger output from the amp.

I think the price of these little amps is outragous cosidering that they can be knocked up in the kitchen for about a fiver or use one off something else if you can get the pin out data.

Bosch units are only more reliable because they use better quality transistors in there.

Hope it all works out for you and all the best.

O.T.

denchy33

Cheers for the info OT ! Yes price does seem a little expensive for what they are £85 but i really dont know much about electrics to figure it out myself unfortunatly so im just gonna have to hope its the amp causing the problem as there is a few posts that sound very simular to mine that have been solved with a new amp so fingers crossed i guess lol , thanks

Carl

denchy33

Hi everyone just another update - i fitted a new bosch ignition amp this weekend but its still the same unfortunatly :( the only other thing i can find wrong with it is ive got a bit of an oil leak (when underload) seems to be under the distributor dripping down on to the sensors /gear box ! Could this cause a misfire ?

Thanks

theoilburner

Apologies if I have missed this in the thread but is it an original engine? A lot of conversions have been done and a lot of them haven't been done well. For example, my phase 2 started life as a 1.6 but has had a 1.9 conversion. Problem is that it was still running on 1.6 management so I am in the process of swapping everything over.

Maybe worth checking the history of your car and all of the part numbers.

Cheers,

Ashley

denchy33

Thanks ashley , yes your right it was origanlly a 1.6 and the mate i brought it off was in the middle of doing the 1.9 convertion but didnt finish it so had been in storage for 10yrs before i got it , i put everything back together but we made a silly error and didnt have the long bolt that goes through the alternator and drives oil pump on properly so ultimately made the engine seize and snapped the top timing belt bolt ! So had to get a second hand ported head off ebay an had the whole top end rebuild basically at the cost of about £700 :( but was happt the garage fixed it i used it for about 1 yr but was never quite happy with how it ran tbh but it wasnt to bad then i developed the oil leek under distributor didnt think it was much to worry about then a few months later 1 morning started itup it smoked really bad misfiring n sounded like a lawn mower i replaced water temp sensor which stopped the smoking but still didnt sound so replaced leads started it sounded lovely but obviously theres still something else wrong it , could running some parts still on the 1.6 engine setup ie afm cause any of my symtoms ? Even though i drove it daily for a year before these problems , does your work at all this set up then ashley ? i just dont know what to do cos i cant keep throwing money at it

Thanks

hoodygoodwood

Some of the parts are the same between the 1.6 and 1.9 8v engines , eg - SAD , TPS , water temp sensor ,ignition amp . If you have a 1.9 engine you should have yellow fuel injectors 0 280 150 762 , ECU 0 280 000 359 , AFM 0 280 202 109 ,dizzy 0 237 009 066 ( iirc )If one of these is wrong you will have running problems . Old Bosch distributors often seem to leak oil , it gets in through a worn seal on the shaft , I had mine rebuilt by H+H and it no longer leaks . I have never had a misfire because of oil in the dizzy but I have heard of it .

denchy33

Cheers mate thats a great help ! Gives me something to check ive defo got the yellow injectors but im pretty sure ecu and afm will be for the orginal 1.6 cos i did question this when putting back together but was reassured by the seller and garage that they are same ! Thanks for all the info on the dizzy aswell tbh i was starting to think the oil leak was something major ! How much was it for your dizzy to be rebuilt mate ?

hoodygoodwood

I think H+H charged about £115 a year ago to refurb the dizzy I sent them , would be worth giving them a call to check that price .It sounds a lot but when you get the distributor back it would pass for new and has a new 'O' ring , rotor arm and cap as well as the vacuum advance on the side .

I had a set of injectors fitted to a 1.9 engine and they turned out to be 0 280 150 702 and were orangey in colour , I assumed they were discoloured yellow ones but they flow less and caused a misfire - worth checking .

If your ECU is wrong you can pick one up for £10 ( I have a couple ) , a good AFM might be a bit more of a challenge .

denchy33

Was it yeah that does quite a lot lol but yes ill give them a call it might be that the dizzy is a 1.6 and need a new 1 ill check tomorrow , and also so the injectors defo worth a check , thanks for putting all the part numbers mate really helpful ! , have u ok ill be touch about ecu i reckon lol , and ive got another afm in the shed but knowing my luck it will be wrong aswell lol

Thanks a lot

Carl

opticaltrigger

I think Miles is giving great addvise here Carl, I reckon he's bang on it to be honest.It will be great progress to find out if your on the right AFM, ECU, Injectors, and Distributor.

If you need any of them we have some (except the distributor).

I know the AFM we have is unadulterated and in excellent condition.In fact there's a couple of them I belive and also a couple of ECU's to, Oh,and We've got some injectors to.

All the best

O.T.

hoodygoodwood

I probably have a spare 1.9 dizzy as well if it turns out you need one , I am at my garage tomorrow so I will have a look and see what I have got .

denchy33

Yeah it does sound as thou this could be whats wrong doesnt it im certain ecu is wrong anyway ,

Oh have u thats good to know thanks !

if u could let me know the prices of these when u get a chance that would be brilliant

Thanks O.T