• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
denchy33

205 Gti Misfiring When Underload

denchy33

Hi all , im hoping someone can give some advice , my 205 all of sudden started smoking really bad and was misfiring so i replaced the water temp sensor which sorted out the smoking and made it run a lot better but still wasnt right , after going out there many times trying figure out the problem i noticed 1 of the leads arking out so put another set on started it up and sounded lovely ! Its been off the rd for about a year now so i took it for a drive but it goes ok until u try and open it up then it just like holds back and splutters until u change then it does the same in every gear ! Now i dont know what to try next ? Could it be that the fuels gone bad ? I did put a can of new in there but obviously there is some old still in there but it runs fine in neuterul ? Would really appreciate any help thanks

• Like 1

denchy33

Also dont know if its related but when i turn engine off it wont fire again unless i take plugs out and wipe them , plugs 1 &2 ( furthest away from dizzy ) seem to get more sooted up and smell oily/fuely

Thanks

jackherer

It could be the air flow meter, does the flap move freely and smoothly?

Also check the plug for the temp sensor you changed, it's not unusual for the pins to get pushed back inside the plastic housing and they don't make contact even though it looks like it is plugged in.

denchy33

Yes i think it does move freely if i push it by hand ? But will check that tomorrow , and i will also see if pins on the temp sensor housing arent pushed in but i know the blue plastic housing cover for plug is bit damaged/cracked could that effect it ? Thanks for your reply mate

jackherer

If the housing is cracked it can come loose and cause problems. Try unplugging it, that should make it run much worse, if it makes no difference it wasn't connected properly (or your new sender has died, not totally unheard of but unlikely.)

denchy33

Thanks yeah ok ill check that it did make massive difference when i changed it thou im pretty sure it is working , i only know a little bit about how cars run so bear with me lol i just dont get why it sounds and runs perfect when u rev it up in neutral but not when in gear surely it must be something fairly simple just really dont want to get ripped off trying to find out what it is at a garage !

sickomotorsport

First things I would check would be ignition amplifier and the coil.

denchy33

Yeah ive read that ignition amps stuff up a lot whats the best way to check them then will i need a multi metre

Thanks

jackherer

i just dont get why it sounds and runs perfect when u rev it up in neutral but not when in gear

That's why I initially suggested the air flow meter, it measures the load on the engine and adds the required fuel so if it isn't working properly when you add some load (by putting it in gear and giving the engine some work to do) the necessary fuel isn't added. The temp sensor also controls the amount of fuel injected because more is needed when the engine is cold so it can cause similar problems.

Going back to when you changed the ignition leads did you definitely put them on in the right order?

denchy33

Oh right i didnt realise that ,ive just had it all off and moves really freely ! I also had a look at ignition amp and the paste had all but gone so i went got some of that transfer paste from pc world and reapplied it just waiting for it set then ill give it a try ,the amp is a sovereign ive been reading that a blue bosch are the best maybe i should get 1 of them if this doesnt work , i also got some electric terminal cleaner and cleaned up as many contacts as i could , and yes im pretty sure i put leads on correctly as im always do them 1 by 1 if i had wouldnt it also misfire abit while in neutral ?

jackherer

I would definitely put a blue Bosch amp on, off brand ones cause all sorts of odd issues and I've never heard of Sovereign although I'm sure it is a huge company...

denchy33

Yeah ill try and get 1 wheres the best place to get 1 ebay ? Or can u get them from peugeot ? lol i did think hmm sorverign doesnt to good lol , just to let u know its a 1.9 with a 1,6 gearbox and the head i brought has been ported and polished wether that makes any difference ?

jackherer

I'd try a Bosch supplier but I've heard the ones they supply now are black and not as reliable as the old blue ones so a secondhand one from either the wanted forum on here or ebay might be the only option.

farmer

I can get new Bosch blue amps from the dealers but the RRP is eye watering

denchy33

Yeah thats what ive read i would prefer to get a new 1 if poss ill have a look on here and ebay if not then thanks jackherer

Oh can you farmer how much we talking :/ lol

farmer

I have a new Bosch blue amp coming to me next week.

Price will be about £85- £90

Pug last price was about £102

denchy33

Ok thanks farmer i suppose thats not bad if it sorts the problem out ! Or would i definatly notice the difference anyway ?

farmer

Try putting some heat paste on your old unit and fit again may help

denchy33

Yeah thats what ive done today because there wasnt much left on there but it started pissing down so ill have wait till tomorrow if i get time to see if it has made any difference fingers crossed lol

farmer

It's worth a try firstly.

Mattr5uk

I had a similar problem with one the had been stood for a while and it turned out the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm had failed, so it acted like a 5th injector.

I only came across it when I pulled off the vacuum pipe and it peed fuel everywhere.

A simple check to do and worth ruling out.

denchy33

Oh did u yeah mine had origianlly been stood for 10yrs before i brought it and put it all back together it had been ok for a year now it seems im getting a few components break down on me at the same time cos the water temp sensor was defo faulty the leads were less than a year old and now theres obviously still something else broke , how can u tell if the fuel pressure regulators not doing what it should then ? If u pull the vacuum hose off and it pisses out fuel its not working properly ?

Thanks

• Like 1

denchy33

I refitted the ignition amp with new thermal paste seems to of made a little bit of difference ie lets me rev a bit higher ( just under4000rmp ) in each gear before misfiring but the problems still there :(

Think im just gonna have to just replace all the parts it could be like ignition amp , coil pack maybe afm ? Would everyone agree ingition amp first ? The problem ive got is its out of tax and mot so cant just go get things tested at a garage

Thanks

Mac Crash

I'd MOT it first then see if someone near you can let you test a spare ignition amp, then you'll quickly know if your amp is defective or not. Had similar problem not too long ago with sooty/oily plugs, changed the Ducillier amp for a blue Bosch one and it cured the misfire.

denchy33

Iol i was litrally just reading your post ! , and yes your symptoms do sound very simular to mine so i think im gonna get a new 1 because i dont know anyone with a spare 1 to try out , could be an expensive way of fixing it i know but at least ill have peace of mind knowing things are new , ive been driving a s*itty mondeo for the last year and driving my pug tonight has made me so determined to get her back on the rd this summer