• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

306 V6 Will Not Bleed!

TooMany2cvs

Do you think 10-15 mins for an engine of this size is a very short time for it to boil over

Assuming the rad's getting hot, then - yep - ridiculously so. What's the temp gauge doing? Does the fan switch close?

welshpug

I can see all the pipes fine in the pics above, as I posted a few pages back, the two rear takeoffs on the thermostat cover go the the heater, the metal pipe from the block goes to the expansion tank, the two front pipes go to the rad.

given that you have deleted the thermostat from the equation it really shouldn't boil over like that, and the fans should certainly kick in sooner.

TooMany2cvs

He's taken the fan off so nothing to kick in

No, but a multimeter on the fan switch will tell you if the rad's got hot enough to switch it in if it were there. Mind you, a hand on the rad will tell you if the water's flowing properly to it...

dave205

Not really but the fact that the heater isn't getting warm is a tell tale sign that water isn't flowing.

While your pictures are nice and clear they don't exactly show whats connected to what apart from the radiator pipes. Can you show where the heater pipes are connected. Even service pox isn't super clear on the heater return.

The heaters got hot today when we bled it up.

The 2 pipes on the stat housing go to the matrix

dave205

Assuming the rad's getting hot, then - yep - ridiculously so. What's the temp gauge doing? Does the fan switch close?

Rad is to hot to touch, and the temp gauge we havent allowed to go over 95 degree approx

dave205

I can see all the pipes fine in the pics above, as I posted a few pages back, the two rear takeoffs on the thermostat cover go the the heater, the metal pipe from the block goes to the expansion tank, the two front pipes go to the rad.

given that you have deleted the thermostat from the equation it really shouldn't boil over like that, and the fans should certainly kick in sooner.

Its Plumbed exactly as you have written above.

There are no fans on the car

dave205

He's taken the fan off so nothing to kick in

Correct

dave205

No, but a multimeter on the fan switch will tell you if the rad's got hot enough to switch it in if it were there. Mind you, a hand on the rad will tell you if the water's flowing properly to it...

There is no fan switch in the 406 rad, i dont know exactly were it is on the engine :/.

The rad is too hot to touch...it burns!

welshpug

this is why AdamB had an inline adapter in the top hose for the original non ac fan switch, and why Goiliath uses a VR6 rad, as it has the M22 thread for a standard thermoswitch.

the 406 used the brown sensor in the side of the head near the expansion tank water takeoff and controlled via a box of tricks and three relays and two fans.

get those fans sorted! these do run quite warm when sat still.

dave205

What sort of adaptor and how is it done?

So if i trace the wires of that brown sender and run them to a relay for a slim rad fan that should help because as soon as it gets warm the fans will kick in?

Slo

If your rad is getting hot its pretty safe to say the waterpump is doing its job. Does the entire rad get hot even at the bottom?

welshpug

this

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/32mm_Universal_Modular__T_Outlet_UCT32

and this

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Universal_Modular_M22_Fan_Switch_Insert_UCM22

fitted into the top rad hose, and hooked up to the standard fan thermoswitch.

the brown sensor is that, NOT a switch, so you cannot just hook it up to a relay.

dave205

If your rad is getting hot its pretty safe to say the waterpump is doing its job. Does the entire rad get hot even at the bottom?

Yeah it does

dave205

this

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/32mm_Universal_Modular__T_Outlet_UCT32

and this

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Universal_Modular_M22_Fan_Switch_Insert_UCM22

fitted into the top rad hose, and hooked up to the standard fan thermoswitch.

the brown sensor is that, NOT a switch, so you cannot just hook it up to a relay.

So if i bought those and fitted them into the top rad hose and fitted a normal pug fan switch and wired it up to a fan through a relay it would work?

welshpug

if you know how to wire a fan up, it sure would!

before clicking on the buy it now button I would confirm the diameter of the hose, but 32mm does ring a bell, they do have other sizes.

Edited by welshpug

Goliath

The pipe routing looks the same as i have it. If i start my v6 from cold and leave it idling then it will get up to temp and the fans will kick in within about 7-10 minutes i think.

Slo

Does your heater get hot with it idling from cold goliath?

dave205

if you know how to wire a fan up, it sure would!

before clicking on the buy it now button I would confirm the diameter of the hose, but 32mm does ring a bell, they do have other sizes.

Yeah idid the one on my turbo conversion so thats no issue.

dave205

The pipe routing looks the same as i have it. If i start my v6 from cold and leave it idling then it will get up to temp and the fans will kick in within about 7-10 minutes i think.

I'll time mine again then, mine is usually boiling with in 10-15 mins

dave205

What pitch is the m22 thread on a thermostat switch

Goliath

Does your heater get hot with it idling from cold goliath?

Yes, after a minute or so warm air starts to come out of the vents.

dave205

What temp do the fans kick in on these v6 engines? I have a few rad stats here and want to use the closest rated one.

B6960B8B-C177-4D17-8240-B485E894182E-954

welshpug

I would use one with the low speed cut off above the thermostat opening temp, for example I use an 83 degree stat in my 8 valver instead of the standard 89, so my low speed fan cutoff is 88, rather than the standard 92.

mine has a purple band, so I'd pic that same one from your picture above given the V6 afaik has an 83 degree thermostat (temp not listed on servicebox, and I've never removed one to see the number stamped on them physically)

that red ringed one would be the standard phase2 205 item which is slightly higher temp.

dave205

The ones with 3 pins are for high and low speed fans? In going to be using a 14" slimline fan off ebay due to space being an issue, so would the twin speed setup still work?

The stat in my v6 engine is an 82 degree one, but the centers been cut out now so irrelavant anyway.

Most of the ones i have in that picture read 92.5-97 on them, which seems very high considering boiling point is only 100 degrees! And the engine seems to run very hot anyway?