• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

306 V6 Will Not Bleed!

dave205

Ive plbed it up the same as in a thread i saw on here, not sure who's car it is but cant find it now. They've painted there thermostat yellow

Slo

This could be your problem, im not familiar with the v6 lump but usually only one matrix pipe should go to the thermostat the other should return to the metal water pipe at the back!

dave205

Ive plbed it up the same as in a thread i saw on here, not sure who's car it is but cant find it now. They've painted there thermostat housing yellow if any one knows that project thread?

dave205

Yeah i''ll take some when im home

welshpug

get an XU/XUD tank on there, plumb up the bleed point as per normal 205 and blank off the top left hand outlet, had no issues bleeding these up once we figured out the routing properly.

dave205

Yeah thats the pic mate. The short grey one on my engine goes to the header tank. The other 2 outlets go to the matrix.

dave205

Just the car up for 16 mins, opened all the bleeds filled it with water until i had water at each point, then closed them one by one. Let it run, steam pushing up into the header tank causing massive amount of steam hammer! Header tank emptied itself in no time.

Before all this saga, i pulled the matrix hoses off and blew through them, the matrix is clear. Now ive found the heater matrix bleed, the heaters did get slightly warm today.

I removed and tested the stat 3 times yesterday.

So i know so far, thermostat works, matrix is good, air is bleeding out with engine stopped and running. But its still not right, the engine was running 100 percent in the donor car so cant see what the issue is.

Please help im at my wits end with this f**king car!!

dave205

This could be your problem, im not familiar with the v6 lump but usually only one matrix pipe should go to the thermostat the other should return to the metal water pipe at the back!

So you have a pipe going directly from the engine to the heater matrix?

But originally the pipe directly from the engine went to the header tank, so its connected the same?! :/

Paul_13

What's the history of the engine?

Blown head gasket (s)?

Worth doing a compression test?

Tom Fenton

Get a GTI header tank with the bleed points at the top and then plumb the small bore returns in, then it will bleed itself. Somehow you are getting an air lock. Has the thermostat got a small hole in one side to allow water/air to bleed past as you fill it up? If not drill a 4mm hole in the rim then try again.

dave205

What's the history of the engine?

Blown head gasket (s)?

Worth doing a compression test?

Engine had service history, and showed no signs of head gasket failure upon removal. Yeah be worth doing i guess, but i cant help but thing ive caused the problem as it was fine before :/

dave205

Get a GTI header tank with the bleed points at the top and then plumb the small bore returns in, then it will bleed itself. Somehow you are getting an air lock. Has the thermostat got a small hole in one side to allow water/air to bleed past as you fill it up? If not drill a 4mm hole in the rim then try again.

Theres no where to plum the small bore returns to and the thermostat ive had out but didnt notice any holes, it seals on the rim of it. I did think of cutting the center out completely?

I dont fully understand how the system is piped/ works frustratingly :(

Slo

I cant seem to find any layout of this engine anywhere except service box but the different parts are split up did you take any photos oh and is this an es9j4 engine?

dave205

Yeah its an es9j4 engine, i'll go and load the computer up so i can upload pics.

jackherer

2.9 ES9J4STurbo Injection (16v)

2.67 valves/cyl, must work well with the turbo :unsure:

• Like 1

dave205

This is the 3 litre v6 mate not the tirbo engine

jackherer

Yes, with 24 Valves. Which was why I thought it was odd it said it was a 16v turbo despite having the right engine code.

dave205

Cheers slo the pic is good, hoses 9962 and 9952 are connected as shown to the rad. Hose 9951 is connected to the bottom of the header as shown aswell. The little small bottle thats shown is gone out of the systen

Slo

Lmao oh yeah didn't notice that bloody argentinians for ya (its from an argentinian site). jesus imagine ordering a part for a v6 and them sending you one for a 16v lol

jackherer

Ah OK, I knew 'inyeccion' was Spanish but that doesn't narrow it down much.

jackherer

dave205; It might be a good idea to get a tester to see if there is any combustion gas in your coolant, you can get a basic one for about £30.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151046876264

Slo

Some pics of a v6 HERE turbo and non turbo should help a lot those Dave.

When you start it up from cold does water blow out of the bottle by any chance? Even if you put the palm of your hand over it?

Edited by Slo