• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
N3VRAM

Paddle Clutch?

N3VRAM

Could someone please help me out with picking out a clutch for my 1360cc rallye (205 XS engine, MA box). I'm using the car for Motorsport (Targa/Endurance Rally) so was thinking a paddle clutch, don't really want to spend any more than £300ish? Is there any vendors to avoid or are they all practically the same?

cheers

~matt

adman

personally unless the engine is highly tuned i would just go for a good quality oe replacement

N3VRAM

Okay, the only thing i'm concerned about is having to take the whole thing apart again once the OE one is knackered. If this is the general consensus then that is what i'll do (will save me plenty of money!).

thanks adam.

welshpug

unless the o.e item in your particular application is known to be on its limits, I would stick to o.e.

two cars I service for, 1.6 and 1.9 rally cars bothj use o.e clutches, have done several years and were still in very good condition last time the gearbox was off.

Have a look on ebay, you will often find original peugeot/citroen units on there as they are obsolete stock given the changes in the late 90's to TU flywheels IIRC.

CosKev

Paddle clutches don't last any longer than a normal clutch,they do handle more power but put extra strain on the rest of the drivetrain as they are 'on' or 'off'.

They are horrible to use on the road if you ever use the car on the road,the only one I've used that was just about acceptable on the road was a Alcon 6 paddle,but that was in a RWD Cosworth.

welshpug

Quite agree with that Kev, i;ve used an OMP paddle in a saxo, can;t wait to get that MA box and silly clutch out for a BE4 unit and standard clutch.

Briefly driven a Stage rally saxo with an AP clutch which was fine, but that's nigh on £400 and it gets a fair amount of abuse from the 170 bhp and sticky tyres.

chipstick

"Don't want to spend any more than" and "will save me plenty of money" are phrases that should be seldom used when talking about starting up with motorsport if you're serious.

Someone on here put up a good budget guide about how much events can cost (without unforseen failures) - could be worth a nosey for the bigger picture.

• Like 1

N3VRAM

"Don't want to spend any more than" and "will save me plenty of money" are phrases that should be seldom used when talking about starting up with motorsport if you're serious. Someone on here put up a good budget guide about how much events can cost (without unforseen failures) - could be worth a nosey for the bigger picture.

I'm doing targa and endrance - all i needs a cage and a reliable car and i'm good to go (no requirement for crash helmets, seats, special tyres etc) i'm more interested in putting together a car that is reliable, can handle the abuse and is competitive in its class than and event winning car also, its just for a bit of a grin!

Thanks for the advice guys, OE clutch it is.

calvinhorse

Another vote for oe clutch from me, my last tu was around 100 bhp and I thrashed it daily for 20,000 miles without failure.

I fitted a valeo unit from a local factors (Sdl)

One thing to think of is if the gearbox or crank seal fails the clutch will get covered in oil and is fooked! So £45 for a replacement valeo clutch is nice and cheap