• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

JeffR

[trackday_prep] 405 Mi16 Track Car

JeffR

Time for a small update where the car is at currently.

After 4 months at Chasers getting a full chassis rewire, data logging digital dash & power distribution module fitted, I could finally start on readying the new panels for fit & paint.

IMG_0261_zps1tkyrda4.jpg

Lightweight boot & bonnet needed a few adjustments to get the fit better as well as some strengthening bars inside the bootlid to support the rear wing. I used stranded fibreglass to bond the bars to the inner ribs & skin for the main fixings and the two outboard supports.

IMG_0259_zpszku8adzj.jpg

As the wing came from a Mondeo I needed to change the angle of the mounts to suit the 405 boot profile and make extra brackets for the outer ones. Luckily the wing had captive nuts already fitted for that purpose.

IMG_0288_zpsjzbvlir8.jpg

IMG_0289_zpsxrmc9llq.jpg

Also used the stranded fibreglass again for the bonnet clips and opening support bar.

Next is the front splitter and undertray. All the mounting brackets are done, just need to find the right material to make it from.

IMG_0291_zpssqr451yx.jpg
C/F would be nice but not likely due to cost. Yet to determine if the splitter with bottom out getting it on & off the trailer too.

That just leaves the 30mm rear arb which will require some adjustment to the rear beam mounts.

New bottom end is away getting diesel crank, Robson rods, forged pistons fitted then bored, balanced, O ringed, new welsh plugs & setting all the bearing clearances. That'll be a changeover job for (our) winter.

• Like 1

speaksgeek

How is the power steering pump wired from the PDM? I only wonder because it likely draws more than the PDM is rated for on a single output?

JeffR

Power steering is the only thing which doesn't run through the PDM because of its high current draw.

speaksgeek

Power steering is the only thing which doesn't run through the PDM because of its high current draw.

Cool, is it switched with a relay of the PDM still, or just runs constantly off the alternator trigger or similar?

JeffR

Runs constantly off the alternator trigger AFAIK.

JeffR

Finally settled on a material for the splitter/undertray. Called Uniboard, a combination of lightweight HDPE & Polypropylene in a 3 layer construction 12mm thick. When cut to shape it weighs 7 kgs plus 2kgs for the bracket.

I had these fixings made to bolt it to the bracket under the radiator support and the subframe. I had them made 11.75mm long to give a 0.010" crush before bottoming against the brackets.

IMG_0298_zpsusxn18ib.jpg

IMG_0301_zpstzarbojr.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsrjwfmnhn.jpg

IMG_0304_zpssph2mark.jpg

All that's left to do is to calibrate the fuel level gauge into the new dash then it's off to Phillip Island on the 11th Dec.

• Like 1

Kane

Looks superb Jeff, top work!

blandy

Love the work fantastic project

JeffR

Nice work! Next is a rear diffuser?

More an undertray from the rear beam to rear bar something like Prism7guy has made for his 306 to smooth out the airflow underneath.

JeffR

Took the car to Phillip Island yesterday for what was its only outing for the year.
The morning sessions I used to make sure everything worked OK as there was no testing prior this time. The afternoon was warm & sunny, and I was satisfied all was good to give it the beans.

I managed to find another 3 seconds since last year putting it down to spending considerable time lightening it and fitting the splitter/under tray and rear wing.
Came away a happy bloke!

Short YouTube vid to follow.

Phillip%20Isl%20Dec%2016_zps3xwm49i4.jpg

speaksgeek

Good times.

I'm surprised to see you in Over 2000cc class, without looking back through the thread, did you change the stroke?

If you were under 2L that time would have put you 4th, with an achievable podium in sight.

Took the car to Phillip Island yesterday for what was its only outing for the year.
The morning sessions I used to make sure everything worked OK as there was no testing prior this time. The afternoon was warm & sunny, and I was satisfied all was good to give it the beans.

I managed to find another 3 seconds since last year putting it down to spending considerable time lightening it and fitting the splitter/under tray and rear wing.
Came away a happy bloke!

JeffR

They seem to be grouping cars by time these days. I entered with a 1:56.7 (my last best time) and 1927cc but still finished up in over 2 litre!

Edited by JeffR

camgti

Lovely Jeff. Goes like stink! Looks really stable, like your style

JeffR

Thanks Cam.
In the other afternoon sessions I was passing heaps of cars without realising the bloody camera wasn't recording.
The only footage I got was this one with no other cars in sight!
Phillip Island being a high speed circuit meant that the downforce the aero gave was significant and I'm sure more time could be found.
Looking forward to the next visit.

JeffR

I decided rather than doing random events I would do a Super Sprint season with one of the established clubs this year.
The Marque Sports Car Association have a 9 round season using Sandown, Winton, Phillip Island and one hill climb event, this year it's Rob Roy. They do a number of categories from 'Come & Try', Regularity and Super Sprints.

Rd 1 was Sandown early Feb where I managed a second place in the 1500-2000cc Class. My day was shortened by a dry sump fitting coming loose but luckily it leaked all over the pit garage floor rather than the track! I wasn't able to fix it on the day as the undertray prevented me getting a spanner in there. All fittings are now lockwired.

I missed Rd 2 at Winton which dropped me to 7th.

Rd3 was Phillip Island last weekend. Managed a first in class but puzzled why my lap times were down.

Spot the problem-

IMG_0324_zpszcpqkbul.jpg

Another day brought to an early end. There was a good note to end the day on at least. I had the car weighed at the track and it came in at 1028kgs and provisionally back up to second in class.

petert

I've suffered the same problem. Ended up gluing them in.

JeffR

Lean on 1 cylinder... :unsure:....

Yes, I hope it hasn't done any damage.

EFI Hardware are only 10 mins away so getting a replacement was easy. They've now modified their bodies in response to them parting company usually from a backfire, and fit a drilled and tapped M4 s/steel grub screw holding in the plugs.

I'm favoring Peter's idea of using Locktite to secure them though.

camgti

Hard luck fhere Jeff. Hope all will be ok in the motor. Anyway of checking it?

Car looks so good, presentation and execution are fantastic. Its a similar fashion Pat and I are trying for. I have the theory that a clean and tidy 'work' environment just makes it easier and less mentally draining to do what you gotta do!

Keep it up!

JeffR

I'll do a compression check to determine if some/any damage occurred.

JeffR

Can't see what you can see Calvin! Keep trying!!!

Mine was the Paul Radisich one from the 1996 Mondeo he raced in the BTCC & is stamped as such.

In other news, I'll do the compression test over the weekend. So far, plugs look good so hopefully all is well and I can defend my 2nd spot in Rnd 4 at Sandown on the 29th.

JeffR

Compression pressures are good (WOT)-

Cyl 1-250 psi
Cyl 2-245
Cyl 3-245
Cyl 4-245

so fair to say no damage done.