• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

JeffR

[trackday_prep] 405 Mi16 Track Car

petert

That looks great!

JeffR

Been a while since my last update but progress is finally underway!

My Pace dry sump kit arrived on 31st of Dec which finally gave me a chance to work out what fittings I needed to order to plumb it up.

I got all my fittings and braided hose from Summit Racing in the States which was a significant saving on using the local Speedflow option. They were a mix of Summit's own brand, Earles, Russell & Aeroquip in AN 10 & 12.The savings could have been even more had Pace been able to deliver earlier as the AUD$ was losing ground against the Greenback.

The dry sump tank and breather will be in the boot and I didn't want to be breathing oil fumes so decided to make a bulkhead behind the rear seat area. Also having had the cut down fuel tank repaired again it would give me the option to fit a boot located fuel cell if it springs another leak.

I bought some 1.2mm aluminium sheet & had it cut to size so I only had minimal fettling to do to fit the 4 panels behind the harness bar & parcel shelf. I had some 2pac paint left over so just needed to etch prime the panels, high fill, base colour then clear & the finish off the gun is pretty good.

DSCF1105_zps5467d70b.jpg

Parry's misfortune with the oil pressure regulator spring breaking thus destroying his last engine, convinced me to get a Peterson external oil relief valve where I can fit it in a more convenient place in the engine bay as well a a T fitting next to the Pace oil pump which will be the drain for oil changes.

This looks like too many fittings but according to the plan I've drawn up they should all get used!

DSCF1106_zpsc7458885.jpg

So let the games begin!

Kane

That's a fair chunk of change in fittings lying there Jeff! Looking good, especially the quality of your rear bulkhead. Best of luck with the oil plumbing!

JeffR

Went a bit overboard on the fittings! Wasn't sure how pliable the braided hose would be, so got a few extras just in case. I'll put what I have left over on Ebay.

So while waiting for a few items to arrive (more securing clamps, Schrader valve and blanking plugs for the breather pipes) I thought I'd post where I'm up to with the dry sump install.

Sorry about the grainy pics as I had the camera on the wrong setting.

Tank & breather are fitted, along with the lines through the bulkheads into the cabin and engine bay.

DSCF1126_zpsewb8entn.jpg

DSCF1128_zpsdjbo2poi.jpg

DSCF1127_zps5jfauxhf.jpg

I've moved the oil temp sensor from the sump into an M16 fitting where the accumulator plumbed into the oil gallery. Not sure if it will be necessarily as accurate by not being immersed in oil but will wait to see when it's back up and running.

DSCF1135_zpsotgsoll3.jpg

I fitted a T piece in the oil line to the pump, cut some grooves into the bung it so it can be securely lock wired which I can use as the drain for oil changes. I'll also fit a Schrader valve into the tank cap & pinch off the breather hoses so I can pressurise the tank to prime the oil lines as they have a hilly route through both bulkheads into the engine bay.

DSCF1131_zpsbhnfimhv.jpg

DSCF1134_zpshay8tdie.jpg

I've removed the dry sump pump pressure regulator spring and piston which I'll plug with a BSP bung now that I have an external oil pressure regulator fitted beside the remote oil filter. The plumbing continues on to the oil cooler before entering the engine.

DSCF1129_zpstodlh1oi.jpg

I still need to box in the pump pulleys & belt as insurance against any stones picked up by the wheel possibly dislodging the drive belt.

Not sure if I should have the oil filter in the lines to & from the tank as the scavenge pick up points have filter tubes in the sump pan.

petert

That's looking great Jeff.

JeffR

Thanks Peter. Can't wait to get it finished & do a test day up at Winton. Not only because of the new system, but also to check that I've solved the oil leaks which have previously dogged my track days. Having had the engine out 3 times in 6 months was frustrating to say the least.

BTW-Schrader valves have arrived in Aust, so should have them some time next week.

• Like 1

JeffR

So after nearly 9 months the Mi16 is finally back on its wheels and running!

Fitted was a lightened TTV flywheel, swapped back to a standard Mi16 5th gear and installed the Pace dry sump system.

As Sandy had mentioned in another thread, the Pace system required some fettling to get everything to fit and work correctly.

The main problem I found was the misalignment between the crank and pump pulleys. There was no scope or room to move the crank pulley further outwards so I had to find a way to move the pump or pulley towards the gearbox. The belt was running 2mm off the edge of the pump pulley so in effect 85% of the belt was doing 100% of the work.

ASTK0004_zps1ach9npv.jpg

I had the pulley machined with 3.5mm taken off the back and a thicker attaching washer made up with a 3.5mm recess in the centre to accommodate the pulley shaft which now protruded through it.

ASTK0010_zpsxuh4zaj6.jpg

DSCF1144_zpsxfusb3mu.jpg

DSCF1143_zpsbuzkzkoi.jpg

Also had some blanking plugs of varying sizes made up to seal the block and cam cover.

DSCF1150_zpssvmgyh7k.jpg

I took the car up to Winton in Central Victoria last Friday for its initial shakedown. Very pleased all went well & I'm entered at Sandown next Sat 5th Sept for the first timed runs-can't wait!

JeffR

Pleased to be able to report that the car ran flawlessly at Sandown yesterday. The heater blankets arrived from the States in time & got the oil temp up to about 80ºC in 30 mins.

After being plagued with oil leaks in the last 2 outings with the engine out 3 times in 6 months last year it was great to have full day without issues.

Unfortunately due to an oversubscription of Under 2 litre cars, I was placed in the Over 2 litre run group along with Porsche GT3Cup, GT2, Lotus, Mustangs, Jap turbos etc, but the 405 still aquitted itself pretty well. In fact my times had me 3rd in Under 2 litre class.

I managed to find a tenth of a second better than my previous best which was set last Summer whereas yesterday was only 15ºC. So all things considered, I was a happy chappy.

https://youtu.be/jmOTM68CXd0

Edited by JeffR

petert

Nice work Jeff. Glad to hear it went well. No gloves?

Miles

Had the same issues with the Pace set up on a XU10J4RS engine and did the same with machining some off the pulley, worked a treat but spending the money on them for something so simple you really want it right in the first place

JeffR

I agree Miles. Possibly the only explanation for the extra work needed is that demand for these is so low, that it's no longer cost effective to go further than 'near enough is good enough' but I'm happy that there still is a kit available for the XU's.

Other news is that the CAMS pre Log Book scrutineer came out yesterday, inspected & passed the car as compliant for a SuperSprint Log Book.

Only a coulpe of small changes required to upgrade to 3J-Improved Production, (Hans harness, external electrics cut off switch).

Edited by JeffR

michael_ozzie

Good work Jeff, glad it sailed through scrutineering.

camgti

Car looks and sounds great Jeff. Always top work.

Do you have a long 5th gear in the car? It dosent sound like its pulling in top? (Might be my quality iphone speakers!)

Cam

JeffR

Not your speakers Cam! I fitted a Mi16 5th gear as the previous time I was at Sandown I hit the limiter (8000rpm) 100 metres before the end of the front & back straights.

I don't know how this engine has withstood the punishment!

Since purchased a 4.78 and will replace the 5.23 final drive so working out the best combination of ratios.

JeffR

Been a while since the last update.

I changed the final drive gearing from a 5.23 with a new Bacci Romano 4.78:1 and changed 5th gear ratio to match 3rd & 4th from an early 205 so those 3 are now matched. I should now reach the end of the main straight (900metres) at about peak revs rather than hitting the limiter with 100 metres still to go.

After a discussion about where in the dry sump oil lines to have the oil cooler situated, see- (http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=166064), I reconfigured them so that it's now in the scavenge return to the tank. Oil pressure was fluctuating and with Phillip Island coming up this weekend I don't want any problems to bugger up the day!

IMG_0024_zpsfxhf3chj.jpg

As mentioned in a previous post, I've fitted some Moroso heater blankets around the oil tank so I can pre-heat the oil.

IMG_0021_zpsqm9x6tou.jpg

If getting it up to a safe running temp (105°C) becomes a problem, I've made a couple of blanking covers for the oil cooler if needed. Also made a dipstick for the tank.

IMG_0022_zpsrvnkfdfh.jpg

Picked up a nice pair of Alpinestars gloves as a recent birthday present (thanks Mum).

IMG_0029_zpsjpvbmlta.jpg

Washed & ready to put on the trailer.

IMG_0025_zpsa1fvbt0x.jpg

• Like 1

petert

It's looking great Jeff. All the best for PI.

JeffR

Seems ages since I last updated this thread but things have been happening none the less.

Had a great day at Phillip Island last December, car ran really well and with the temperature in the high 20's, was able to do some good lap times. A few laps here-

I decided to begin lightening the car by removing all 4 door intrusion bars, the inner trims (replaced with thin alloy sheet), and replace the doors and rear screen glass with something lighter.

I used Perspex for the doors as I was able to mold it to the shape of the original glass in my homemade oven.

IMG_0088_zps0ugivjol.jpg

IMG_0089_zpsre2jw221.jpg

The rear screen is polycarbonate and pliable enough once bolted down to be similar in shape to the glass. I added some alloy bars to prevent it blowing out as the cabin pressurises.

IMG_0098_zps1b1sqrxp.jpg

Car then went across to Chasers Motorworks for a full chassis rewire and data logging dash, so getting rid of around 10kgs of excess and unnecessary wiring.

An in-progress pic-

IMG_0123_zpszcm2kbxi.jpg

Also coming, a lightweight bonnet & bootlid from MC Racing in France. All up I should see an 80kg weight saving.

Looking forward to getting it back and trackside again.

Edited by JeffR

petert

80Kg! That is impressive. That's like taking you out.

JeffR

80Kg! That is impressive. That's like taking you out.

Ha ha! I'm jockey size, sub 65kgs-without the horse!

Also jettisoned the heater box.

IMG_0099_zps2edvwpzr.jpg

A nice collection of terminals from the wiring looms.

IMG_0122_zpsakvqjmpa.jpg

JeffR

My lightweight panels arrived from MCRacing in France during the week.

Bonnet weighs 6.5kg, original 26kgs. Bootlid 4kgs, original 10kgs. Bootlid is designed to suit both 1.9 & 2.0 litre boot shapes, just need to trim off the lower section. Captive nuts fitted so I can use the standard hinges.

A couple of minor chips & blemishes which I'll fix prior to painting. Very happy with the quality though.

Bonnet%20Outer_zpse3on9z4o.jpg

Bonnet%20Inner_zpsft4ygc13.jpg

Bootlid%20Outer_zpss4o2emjo.jpg

Bootlid%20Inner_zps4mkz0vqp.jpg

calvinhorse

That's a HUGE saving!

They look spot on, do they always have these in stock or was it a special order?

JeffR

Made to order. About 5 weeks. Can't imagine there's enough demand for 405 panels to keep them in stock.

Need to resist the temptation to get the 4 doors as well!

calvinhorse

Have you already chopped out the inner skin of the doors and removed the side impact bars? Loads of weight in the doors, but obviously they'll never be as light as fibreglass!

JeffR

Yes, removed the impact bars, inner skins and fitted perspex windows in all doors. Haven't taken them off the hinges to weigh, but std rear doors are 18kg. Same with the fronts but kept the electric front window motors. Std are 20kgs.

I'd expect the lightweight doors front & rear to be about 5kgs each so potentially another 55 kgs could be removed.