• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

JeffR

[trackday_prep] 405 Mi16 Track Car

JeffR

A small update on the leaking shocker issue.

Common sense finally prevailed and the local GAZ agent is going to re-weld the base of the tube rather than the epoxy option.
Anticipating I'd need to replenish the lost oil I've been in contact with GAZ UK for info on oil type, grade and quantity as well as the dismantling procedure which they provided promptly.
Since the local agent has to dismantle the unit for welding, I passed on the info on to make sure it's refilled as per the original specs.

Hopefully end of problem.

JeffR

Took the car to Phillip Island last Sat for Rnd 7 of the MSCA SuperSprint series.
I was hoping that the new lca balljoints would have solved my vibration under brakes. Frustratingly no!
For the price of some tie rod ends that'll be the next 'fix'. I can't think of anything in the rack itself that could be the culprit.

post-8655-0-18005100-1506661511_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeffR

petert

Looks and sounds great. I've entered a race meeting at Eastern Creek on Sunday. Not part of any series etc., just an opportune test day to try out new ignition parts and a new alternator.

JeffR

This week I had my spare lower control arms fitted with new bushes and new track rod ends. So along with the Meyle balljoints fitted a month ago, all bushes and pivots replaced on the front suspension.

Nothing seemed particularily worn so hopefully (again), my brake shudder is solved but I'll need to wait until the next Sprint round on the 21st to find out.

JeffR

Update time-

My vibrations under braking are still unresolved so will need looking into further.

Meanwhile now the racing season is over it gave me the opportunity to remove the 10 year old 1.9 ready for it's 2.2 litre replacement. (J4RS block with squirters, 92mm diesel crank, Robson rods, Wiseco pistons, O-ringed block, XU9J4 head).

Upon separating the eng/gearbox, I found one of the outer clutch straps have fatigue broken and flayed around the bell housing before making its escape.
Fortunately, only superficial damage.

On order is an AP Racing twin plate 184mm clutch & Spooks 54mm release bearing combo with a custom flywheel to suit.

Also had a replacement alloy radiator made. Pleased I got over 10 years from the previous one but would no longer hold pressure.

Also had some work done to my as yet unfitted front neg camber hubs. I needed 9mm spacers to clear the inner tyre wall/spring pan which required an extended spigot for the wheel to locate on.IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.b86bd6065f0ca85e442e2e212d3a0683.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

Edited by JeffR
  • Like 1

speaksgeek

Did you get the radiator make locally? I need to get one made up soon.

JeffR

Yep local. Race Radiators, Bennet St Dandenong.

speaksgeek
1 minute ago, JeffR said:

Yep local. Race Radiators, Bennet St Dandenong.

Should I dare ask how much $$

JeffR

Not cheap but since I got over 10 years from their last one, decided to go with them again. You'll get change from $900.:o

petert

Those piston pockets look nice!

JeffR
3 hours ago, petert said:

Those piston pockets look nice!

With more CR than the 1.9, they're deep enough to run even bigger cams if necessary.

petert

How much clearance did you end up with?

JeffR
9 minutes ago, petert said:

How much clearance did you end up with?

In 0.227"
Ex 0.283"
with 1.6mm gasket

IRISH_MI16

What you have built here is essentially what I want my car to end up as! I genuinely love this car!

I'll be using mine for time attack aswell so anymore suggestions on what material to use for splitters and winglets would be great!

JeffR

I used a product called Uniboard for the splitter/undertray., a combination of lightweight HDPE & Polypropylene in a 3 layer construction 12mm thick. When cut to shape it weighs 7 kgs plus 2kgs for the bracket. The end plates are 1.2mm aluminium.
The red strip is 1.0mm aluminium.

Rear wing is from Paul Radisich's '96 ex BTCC Mondeo.

IMG_0304.jpg

• Thanks 1

petert

I might go up to 2.2L as well. Parry has thrown down the gauntlet. Those extended spigots look good. Are they just tig'd on? Or did you disassemble the hub etc.?

Edited by petert

JeffR

I supplied him with an outer CV  which he used to drive the hub in the lathe where he machined a shoulder into it. He them made new spigots, pressed & welded them in. All then trued up in the lathe for no run out.

JeffR

This pic should make it clearer than my crap explanation!

IMG_0427.JPG

welshpug

that's neat, you can actually buy single piece ones from Citroen sport from the C2 R2 that have a longer spigot than standard, I would imagine they are not cheap though!

IRISH_MI16

Ill be having a look to see if I can get that over here.

How much camber are you looking for? MechLab adjustable top mounts might have been a more cost effective depending on how much you are wanting 

JeffR

I have ATM's and together with the hubs should have around 3.5° neg camber.

petert

How much caster?

JeffR
3 hours ago, petert said:

How much caster?

Not sure. Haven't measured it but is was as much as the top mounts would allow.

Is there an optimal figure I should be aiming for?

Edited by JeffR

michael_ozzie

Aha, so it was your 405 that was getting modified camber hubs. I picked up and fitted my hubs from Colin today, only 1.5 deg neg camber for Rally, but it should certainly all help.

JeffR

Colin has been making, modifying parts for French cars for decades. I've lost count of how many bespoke parts he's made for me which has allowed the development on the car.

Free plug-Westgear Engineering, Airport West

• Like 1