• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carbs4me

Aftermarket Management

Sandy

DTA is my recommendation. The S40 covers most people's needs and typically sells for around £550. Loom can be made yourself if you're sensible about it, I make professional race looms for them, for around £300 depending on exact spec. Bear in mind that loom quality can significantly affect the reliability and consistency of the set up. Mapping the DTA will typically be around the £300-350 bracket, depending on how straightforward the session is.

• Like 1

alexcrosse

no mention of MBE.

Sandy

I've done alot of MBE work, but it's not as easy to refine as my preferred system and problems can be extremely difficult to isolate and overcome.

dav1

Agree with sandy make sure you get a good loom. i had a bad one it cost money and 11bhp an 40lbft of torque at low revs. something to do with the crank sensor signal. Mikeanics in congleton is't a million miles from you. He charges £360 for a full remap and you wont be disappointed. Finds any faults problems tries to fix them for nothin as long as not major an very good driveble car. ive had 3 or 4 cars mapped there and alot off other work.

Carbs4me

I sent DTA a email last night, was looking at their prices for ECU's on Ebay as their not stated on the website! S60 and above very pricey!

There was an S40 on ebay for 300quid but said ignition only? would that cause problems?

Carbs4me

Reply i got from them

"Hi Anthony

Any of our ECUs will run the engine but you will need to add a crank wheel to it. I attach a price list. All items are sold separately so you only buy what you need.

We do not do mapping but have a network of people who do. Where are you?"

Can i attach PDF files to the forum by any chance?

Edited by Carbs4me

welshpug

you want at a minimum the S40 full version, not ignition only, which is around the £550 mark as Sandy said.

you need to add either a trigger wheel to the crank pulley and a suitable bracket, or just get an o.e flywheel with the timing teeth and a standard pug XU/XUD crank sensor (i.e the standard MI16 arrangement) so unless you've done away with it and used a very early BE1 box and an 8v flywheel you're all set to go.

Edited by welshpug

Carbs4me

Will this do it?

post-14397-0-52407500-1342174226_thumb.jpg

I have both the 8v flywheel and the BE1 box from a 1.6 Gti

But i also got myself a S16 box from baz as i didnt really want to use 8v box

welshpug

yup, looks like a TTV 215mm XU item.

Carbs4me

This is off topic, But would i need to place a lamber sensor in my exhaust? or is it not essential? Or their any benefits from having one if not essential.

On topic, Do the DTA's come with a standard map for an engine such like you can get from Emerald? such as a plugs and play device.

welshpug

They do have a few dozen maps that'll give a starting point, or you could ask them directly, or someone like Sandy or Miles may have something to get you started.

It is not essential to have a lambda fitted, though having the boss fitted is a good idea as many mappers will have a wideband they use when mapping

• Like 1

Carbs4me

The boss?

Does that mean having all the sensor's or something more techical? :ph34r:

Carbs4me

Here is the list of products from DTA

post-14397-0-17967100-1342186059_thumb.jpg

Anthony

Lambda boss is the threaded part of the exhaust that the lambda sensor screws into.

Typically you'll need to drill a hole in the downpipe and weld the boss (like a thread nut) in place.

Most automotive places can probably get one, or there's various people selling them on eBay.

Dizzee stuff

Has anyone considered using Canems ECU, I have fitted this system to my sons clio turbo running 350+BHP. The ECU's are £415 and a ready made wiring loom is £150 he has done 2500 miles with no problems. http://www.canems.co.uk/

e8_pack

Has anyone considered using Canems ECU, I have fitted this system to my sons clio turbo running 350+BHP. The ECU's are £415 and a ready made wiring loom is £150 he has done 2500 miles with no problems. http://www.canems.co.uk/

any issues mapping it?

Sandy

Unusual ECUs can be a terrible money pit even if the initial costs seem attractive. I'm glad your experience has been positive Dizzee, but I worry about people assuming that all systems are basically equal, which time often proves they aren't! Canems is a megasquirt derivative as far as I'm aware and my first hand experience of MS and MS based systems has almost exclusively been negative for the customer.

Edited by Sandy

Miles

As above you pay for what you get + Support, But I'd pay a little more for the known names then at least you have a fair choice of mappers

Dizzee stuff

The system is very easy to map and is very simular to omex, emerald. anyone who can map these systems cam map Canems. The aftermarket support has been spot on with no complaints yet, just take a look at there website.