• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skylinefeb75

1.9 Gti Turbo Wont Start.....help Pllleeeaaasssseeee?

skylinefeb75

Cheers guys. I'm in Plymouth on business's tonight but tomorrow will check the king lead, buy tachometer capable multimeter and check the coil and ignition module. As I have just replaced both of these I'm pretty sure they are not the cause of the lack of spark!! And yes, I'm getting fuel to the cylinders fine. Does the tachometric relay have any influence over the ignition system jot does it just control fuel??

skylinefeb75

OK....I have lost the will to live!! I called the AA in desperation and the helpful chap came to the conclusing that some sort of "Chip" in the Distributor had gone.........thus not causing the relevent trigger to tell the ignition module to fire the coil....apparently. Can one of you guys confirm if such a "Chip" exists in the distributor and is this a known failure??

So......if its new Dizzy time can one of you guys sell me a working used one???

Help Guys?????

Cheers, Andy

skylinefeb75

Anyone???? Hhheeellllppppp

Miles

Should have hit him over the head, Not ever has there been a chip in the Dizzy, There's winding's that send a signal yes which can fail (Rare).

Is it a TT Dizzy or normal? the TT ones have a large vacume advance module on them,

M@tt

you can check whether the winding in the dizzy have broken by using a multimter and probing the 2 pins that the small wire conect to (or you can just probe the plug on the then end of the small wire if you're 100% confident that small wire you had fixed is good) you want to probe the 2 wires that go to the dizzy not the earth one.

On the multimter set it to resistance, you should find it will go to 0 or infiniity if the windings are ok ie there is continuity through it. If it remains at 1 it means the windings are broken.

If you do get 0 or inifinity then you still need to check the windings haven't shorted to earth. Take each pin in turn and probe between it and an earth point(ie the body of the dizzy) if you get a reading of 0 or inifinity it means the wire is shorted to earth.

if either of those show up a fault with the windings then its a case of needign a new dizzy

HTH

skylinefeb75

Thanks guys. It's a stock dizzy, not a TT one. It looks like I need to buy that power probe. I will test the dizzy as reccomened (cheers). Is there a possability that the replacement coil and ignition amp are also dead? Is there a way to check these on the bench, off the car?? Grrrrrr..... Bloody French wiring !!!!

Carbs4me

i think i have a Dizzy i just dont have the cap anywhere but i might have a rotor arm knocking about.... not 100% sure... also is it the clip on type or bolt on type dizzy cap?

Could do with a part number really to make sure its correct.

I live near preston too so im not that far away really.

M@tt

regarding testing on the bench, no not really, it's going to be easier to test on car.

you just need to start at the dizzy and test along the sequence of components till you find the problem

also in terms of testing of this particualr problem an automotive multimeters is going to be more use than the power probe

skylinefeb75

Carbs ... . Thanks for the offer of a dizzy . Drop Neva text on 07787289228 and I'll bell you when I have the part number later today. Prestons no issue travel wise bud.... I spend loads of time in bamber bridge!!

Cheers

Andy

skylinefeb75

Guys.....I have checked everything with my shiny new automotive multimeter. The following are all ok:-

Windings on Dizzy....full continuity...i.e no breaks

Signal wire from dizzy to yellow plug.....full continuity.

Measured RP Pulse from Coil Neg Terminal to earth....it pulses showing RPM

I took off the kinglead and checked for a spark.......there is a spark but it seems really really weak to me

So....the last two potential problems were the rotor arm and dizzy cap..........so I replaced both and guess what...............NO FUC*&NG SPARK at the plugs.

I cant afford to replace any more parts willy nilly now.....this is an annoying piece of french s*ite and is gonna get sledgehammered soon.

What else can be wrong for me to get a spark at the king lead but not at the plugs? Bearing in mind this fault was instantanious....it just cut out whilst ticking over!!

What am I missing guys?????? Please Post up??

Also, can anyone reccomend a good french specific mobile mechanic in the Manchester area??? I give up!!!!

skylinefeb75

Come on guys..... Someone must be on here who can help on a sat afternoon?? Don't make me wait 24 hours for help as its well frustrating !!!

skylinefeb75

Slo..... Not being funny mate but pictures of what ? It all looks as it should !! What the hell can be stopping the spark from getting to the plugs from the king lead after I have replaced the rotor arm and cap with new parts??? I'm well frustrated!!

Tom Fenton

I would suggest you've possibly been supplied with the wrong rotor/and/or/cap.

skylinefeb75

Would the wrong rotor and cap not cause issues when rotating ??

skylinefeb75

The only part not replaced was the dizzy.... But it shows perfect continuity and I'm getting a spark as far as the dizzy cap.. ... Even though it's a really weak spark!!

Slo

Is this a standard 1.9 xu10 with turbo from an xu10j2? Im confused with the whole dizzy part thats why i mentioned some pictures, specially of connections etc. Ive had an xu10j2te for the last 8 years and its timing comes from the flywheel, i know the 205 fly wheel hasnt got that but could have been changed with an mi16 clutch. When you say its got oe management do you mean its running pug 205 management?

skylinefeb75

My cars running the original factory. 295 GTI 1.9 xu engine and has had the turbo fitted mate.

Slo

I reckon the coil is arcing out, go and turn the car over with the lights out or get someone else to do it while you watch the coil leads it will be easy to spot in the dark and impossible to see in the day.

skylinefeb75

Slo..... Just tried that.... No arcing anywhere under the bonnet...... I give up!!

Slo

Damm was sure that was it when you said you had a weak spark from the coil lead.If the coil is definately firing then it has to be the cap or rotor arm. Is the tiny brush still in the centre of the cap? I originally thought this could be an earth strap issue but i suppose this would show up with starter turning slowly issues.

I understand your frustration ive had some really depressing problems with my french POS too that lost in a wrestling match. By now i would be testing the coil out by earth its signal or earth connection directly with a jump lead to earth and a screw driver to check for a strong spark

Edited by Slo

skylinefeb75

I've got a brand new coil and working second hand dizzy left to fit .... Then it's had new or known good everything ignition wise!! Bloody frustrating

skylinefeb75

What would cause a weak spark from the king lead on the coil? Am I right in thinking that both the coil and dizzy would either work or not..... ???

Slo

coil can short ciruit inside from getting hot this can defo cause a weak spark or none at all, dizzy can die from being worn out and possibly even plastic parts inside it melting if it has any. Another thing id check is the starter motor solonoid drawing current with your multi meter on the battery, especially since its probably turned over more since you got it than in the last year. It can get hot, melt inside and drain the battery current like a sponge in a bucket. I doubt thats your issue but trying to start it over and over for long periods too it will soon become one. Does your dizzy have electronic ignition or points? sorry i dunno which they use and ive never even took my cap off in all the time ive owned my car to look. could also be a s*ite king lead or possibly its pulled out of the rubber johnny a little if its been yanked out of the coil post?

Slo

another thing that just occured to me if its got points the condenser can create this situation too. found that out after kicking several wings in over the years lol

Sign in to follow this