• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skylinefeb75

1.9 Gti Turbo Wont Start.....help Pllleeeaaasssseeee?

M@tt

crack out the multimeter and check the continuity of the wires

if you've got an automotive multimeter they have a feature to let you detect the RPM by probing the negative side of the coil, if you get a RPM whilst the engine is cranking it indicates that the little wire is ok and the ignition amplifier is working so pointing to a possible knackered coil.

If you don't get a RPM it means that either the little wire or the ignition amplifier is faulty. If the little wire's continuity is ok then that would indicate a knackered ignition amplifier

HTH

skylinefeb75

Cheers Bud. Ill jump on that tomorrow. I have got a good condition (known 100% working) coil and ignition amp on its way to me. I am going to get the electricians at work to repair the little wire tomorrow. Fingers crossed my turbo trackday beast will then start up!! Looks a bit wrong having a dead full on track pug sitting on my front lawn....full cage, nothing inside besides the upper dash, 2 seats and the cage....lol. i cant wait to get to Oulton Park and scare some of my skyline owning mates!!! the whole point of this project was to prove you dont need to put £20G into a Skyline GTR to rule the track!!!!

skylinefeb75

OK Guys....I refitted the repaired Dizzy to Ignition Module low voltage signal wire and guess what.....still no spark and thus still not starting!! The replacement coil and ignition module should be here tomorrow so weather permitting ill fit them and hope it starts.....otherwise im going to take a big hammer to the car and remember all the years i have been telling people not to buy French s*ite cars......lol

• Like 1

Carbs4me

Iginition amp! sometimes they just die!

Is there a horn! lol

skylinefeb75

A Horn????? lol

Carbs4me

lol yeah, random i know.. but when my ignition amp went my horn died too

skylinefeb75

Well my new igniton amp and coil have arrived.....im gonna fit them later on........fingers crossed!!

M@tt

whoop whoop :)

M@tt

did it work then?

skylinefeb75

Rain stopped play mate.... Lol

skylinefeb75

Ok.... Coil replaced, ignition module replaced ... Still no spark and still won't start. Does any of you live near Manchester airport and can come and help me as I'm at my Whits end with this car!!

ritchunt

Hi just a quick suggestion but in the past i have had a similar issue with a couple c20xe's and its been the rotor arm in the diizy has been stripped and is not spinning around thus getting no spark, on inspection it all looks fine, but when its supposed to spin the peg is just spiining inside the rotor arm if that makes sense

kyepan

If i'm reading you correctly, the rotor arm spins freely when you turn it with your finger.

It should be solid and not spin with your finger.

you should be able to take the cap off, turn the engine over on the starter and it should spin in time with the engine.

take the king lead, one that goes from the coil to the dizzy and earth that on something and turn it over to see if you have spark getting to the dizzy.. then you've isolated the problem to the dizzy/cap/rotor arm.

Cheers

J

Edited by kyepan

skylinefeb75

The strange thing is when I bought the car it was running fine and we left it ticking over. After a while it abruptly cut out. I wrongly presumed it had run out of fuel and so didn't bother trying to start it again and simply towed it home. That cutting out must have been something failing, killing the ignition??

skylinefeb75

Come on guys.... What can just break whilst the engine was running on tick over and then stop the sparks?? Help???

kyepan

did you check the king lead?

welshpug

lots! :lol

could have been the timing belt!...

have you tried a new cap and arm? pop the plug off the ignition amp and check for continuity to the distributor down the signal lead, the pins in the black 3 pin plug can pull out quite easily just like the injector plugs.

ritchunt

I would defo check the dizzy out bud as mentioned it happend to me as i drove over a pot hole lol just died could i s*it find out what it was, i changed the motor in the end and didnt realise untill i was swapping bits n bobs over and found it, sick or pissed of was not the word

skylinefeb75

Guys, when you say the 3 pinned black plug on the dizzy, do you mean the wire that goes from the dizzy to the yellow plug... The signal wire in other words ? This was frayed but I repaired it??

M@tt

you need to get yourself a automotive multimeter as i mentioned previously, check whether the coil is recieving a signal from the ignition amplifier

Edited by M@tt

omega

hi

think you need to step back a bit and do some basic checks

1 have you fuel in the car? and is it reaching the engine?

2 have you a spark? as said in a previos post check the king lead[the lead thats in the center of the cap for a spark]

3 have you checked the cam belt?

welshpug

Guys, when you say the 3 pinned black plug on the dizzy, do you mean the wire that goes from the dizzy to the yellow plug... The signal wire in other words ? This was frayed but I repaired it??

No, I mean the black plug that the signal lead connects to on the wiring loom, the wires go on from there to the ignition amp's 7 pin plug.

As matt said, get a multimeter and a Haynes manual and check for continuity, a cheap power probe will show a signal without having to buy an expensive meter, or get a garage or auto electrician, or a mate that knows wiring to have a look.

M@tt

if your going to get a cheap meter instead of an automotive one(£26 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-50024-Digital-Automotive-Analyser/dp/B0001K9UKK/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt) then get an analogue one as i don't think the response rate of a digital display would be quick enough to easily identify the flickering signal to the coil where as the moving needle of an analogue one would. i stand to be corrected though

welshpug

Oooh not seen or used one of those before, I take from the description it will show an RPM signal?

I use one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Sealey-Auto-Probe-6-24V/dp/B000RA17CS/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1335867994&sr=1-2-catcorr

A power probe II, you'll find loads on ebay for around £15-20.

http://www.powerprobe.com/powerprobe/Home.html

connect it to the battery and you can touch the tip to any wire and it'll show you if its live or earth, if you touch a signal wire for example and crank the engine the LED will flash.

M@tt

yep it shows RPM, very handy little feature as i used it to dignose Leet205's faulty coil by doing just as descried previously. It showed the engines rpm while it was cranking showing that the ignition amplifier was working but the coil wasn't.

I've got one of those power probes as well, very useful also

Edited by M@tt

Sign in to follow this