• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skylinefeb75

1.9 Gti Turbo Wont Start.....help Pllleeeaaasssseeee?

skylinefeb75

Guys,

I bought this car on Friday last week. I drove to Newcastle to collect it and it started and ran fine. We left it ticking over well we talked and without any reason it cut out. As the fuel was low I presumed it was due to lack of fuel so thought nothing more about it. Towed the car home to manchester, fuelled it up and fitted a brand new battery. Tried to start it and it made one pop....then nothing. It turns over and the fuel pump is running fine. Pulled the plugs and checked for a spark....not a jarrop!!! Cleaned plugs and checked for fuel in cylinders......check.....still no spark!! I measured the voltage at the coil and the + side is seeing 12v but the - side is not reading anything when tested with my multimeter.

I have searched on here and the net and seem to find a common themem of the ignition modules going....and coils.....so I have taken a flyer and bought a known good genuine Bosch ingition module and coil.....these are in the post to me now!!

Has anyone any idea what if anything else could be causing this? i read a post on here with a ghuy with the same or very similar problem and he found This:- "A wire didn't just break - it completely disappeared! only leaving a shriveled burnt fosil of it's original form! There is a live loop going from the fuel pump relay to the ignition relay - only about 2" long.Replaced it - car is back to 110%."

My car also has an alarm but the previous owner tels me this only operates the central locking and has no immobiliser functionality at all.

Any ideas guys??

Cheers

Andy - Nr Manchester Airport.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

First of all what management is it running? Is it a turbo technics car or some other conversion?

skylinefeb75

Its on stock oem management and only running at 0.7 bar. Rising rate fuel reg and thats about it. Its a bit of a mash up fueling and ignition wise but it came with an emerals M3D ecu and loom which I will fit. I just want to get it up and running and have a play!! Im used to working on Skyline GTR's so all this French wiring and pants stock ECU/management is new and very painful to me!!

Tom Fenton

Are you sure it hasn't got the Turbo Technics 5th injector and control box, and the boost retard capsule on the distributor? I wouldn't have thought it would fuel properly on just a different pressure reg.

The reason I ask is that if it is just the standard ignition system then it should be just a matter of working through as you would a non-turbo 205 GTI.

Some photos may help us identify what you have got if you are new to the 205 and not certain.

welshpug

IIRC the TT arrangement other than a custom distributor, is still as per the original Jetronic system.

skylinefeb75

Tom, Its running rich as hell but was running fine and in itas current form has supposedly run some failry quick 1/4 mile times. The guy I bought it from built it and it deffo has not got the TT kit on it. What would you reccomend working through and in what order as i am confused about how many wiring/fuse/relay/ignition components can cause this problem?? Cheers in advance fella.

kyepan

can't offer any practical advice (other than perhaps check the ignition relay connections, as i had to reterminate all of my relays, as they connectors were corroded to nothing)

but get some pics up, and once it's on emerald, it will fly.

M@tt

so are you saying its a standard 1.9 engine & management that the guy has bolted a turbo to and just upped the fuel pressure? or is it a 8v 2.0 turbo engine?

skylinefeb75

It's the oem 1.9 engine with a mls head gasket to lower the comp ratio. It's then had a volvo T5 turbo fitted along with a fmic, rising rate fuel reg and that's it!! Not a comprehensive conversion with forged internals but when running is fine and goes like stink. I will fit the emerald Ecu but the loom with it is a mess ... I need a plug and play loom for the car I think!!

kyepan

It's the oem 1.9 engine with a mls head gasket to lower the comp ratio. It's then had a volvo T5 turbo fitted along with a fmic, rising rate fuel reg and that's it!! Not a comprehensive conversion with forged internals but when running is fine and goes like stink. I will fit the emerald Ecu but the loom with it is a mess ... I need a plug and play loom for the car I think!!

Speak to Anthony about doing a loom, he does some very nice looms, and has done emerald before several times too.

A good loom will save you aeons of fiddling, make for a neater install, and will provide a much more reliable motor afterwards.

Cheers

J

skylinefeb75

What's Anthony's username on here? I have a loom that is supposed to be plug and play but it looks a real mess to me! Does the emerald unit allow me to get rid of the horrid ignition coil and ignition module?? I'm presuming I will also be able to bin the maf and go with a map sensor too?? Oh happy days!!

Tom Fenton

IIRC the TT arrangement other than a custom distributor, is still as per the original Jetronic system.

Yes it is, but the control unit for the 5th injector takes a engine speed signal from the coil, if the control box were fitted and had died then this could possibly drag the coil voltage down and hence no spark, this was the reason I asked.

skylinefeb75

In the meantime can anyone provide me with a route to follow in order to ascertain the reason my cars LE jetronic system is not making a spark??

Tom Fenton

What's Anthony's username on here? I have a loom that is supposed to be plug and play but it looks a real mess to me! Does the emerald unit allow me to get rid of the horrid ignition coil and ignition module?? I'm presuming I will also be able to bin the maf and go with a map sensor too?? Oh happy days!!

With some careful choice of OE bits it is very possible to do a neat install of an aftermarket ECU. I have a turbo converted 205 GTI (mine is 1600), if you have a look in the project section there is a big thread on my build of the car. I used a DTA ECU but the Emerald will work much the same.

Coil wise you can run wasted spark and use a later thermostat housing which will allow the coil to mount directly. This will fit with OE leads from a Citroen ZX 1.9i or Peugeot 405 1.9 SRi. The existing water temp sensor can be re used. I used a Sierra Cosworth air temp sensor and MAP sensor which are readily available. TPS I used the Emerald supplied item with a simple bracket on the existing throttle body. Injectors can be changed for whatever is needed flow wise, they are the standard Bosch/Denso size etc. Crank sensor if you use the Mi16 flywheel (which also has the added bonus of a bigger clutch) you can use the Mi16 or GTI6 crank sensor which will bolt straight into the gearbox.

skylinefeb75

Guys, how do I post pictures up on here ? Just been under the bonnet and there is a wire that goes from the side of the dizzy into a yellow plug that then goes into the wiring loom on the pass side wing. The wire looks decidedly dodgy at the dizzy end.... What's the purpose of this wire and where can I get a replacement??

M@tt

Use Photobucket

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=93252

With regards to the wire the small wire sends the tiny pickup signal from the dizzy to the ignition amplifier which boosts the signal which then tells the coil to fire.

If that's duff then you certainly won't get a spark

Edited by M@tt

skylinefeb75

Matt......lovin the collection of cars you have on the go...and I thought I was bad!! Is this a single wire that splits into 2 at the dizzy end (Mine has 2 spades at the dizzy end) or two wires all the way back to the yellow plug? Im deffo not paying £23 for a used one so im gonna unplug the yellow plug and the 2 spades at the dizzy and remake the sucker!!

skylinefeb75

Strange...this cable (26EP154 Low tension cable distributor to ignition module (screw on cap) has 3 wires and yet only two spades....or is my car missing another connection at the dizzy end?? It has 3 pins in the yellow plug, 3 wires in the lead and yet only two spades at the part that screws into the dizzy.....what gives guys???

Miles

One's the outer shield, not needed

skylinefeb75

Outer shield?? In the diagram from the parts manual it looks like the third wire terminates in a ring terminal.... Should it not be mounted somewhere? What was its oem purpose??

welshpug

its a shield wire, prevents noise interference to the signal.

same as most crank and knock sensors.

M@tt

the shielded outer part is just earthed, it protects the signals from interference caused by the ignition leads

beaten to it by WP ^

Edited by M@tt

skylinefeb75

So where would the shielded wire connect to at the dizzy end? Thee are 3 pins in the moulded yellow plug at the other end. I will get the guys at work to repair by letting in 3 new wires, soldering in the existing two ends and then heat shrink the whole lot.

welshpug

it'll only be connected at one end, the amp end IIRC.

skylinefeb75

lol.....without trying to sound thick.....what purpose did it serve then? If the wires only connected at the amp plug end and not at the other end (Dizzy End), how is it going to earth and thus shield anything??? If you look on the picture from the Pug EPC in this post you will see the third wire in this cable displayed with what looks like a ring terminal at the dizzy end....clearly meant to bolt to something to earth the cable and thus shield from unwanted EMF I guess? :- http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=101973

Sign in to follow this