• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skylinefeb75

1.9 Gti Turbo Wont Start.....help Pllleeeaaasssseeee?

Miles

205's have never had Point's

skylinefeb75

Any more ideas Why the spark stops at the king lead despite having a new rotor arm and dizzy cap fitted???

Tom Fenton

Have you tried the old cap and rotor?

skylinefeb75

Yes mate, same result.... Spark to the dizzy cap but not to plugs, thus why I changed the cap and rotor arm!!

skylinefeb75

I'm just on my way to weeton nr Blackpool to pick up a second hand dizzy with cap, rotor and leads...... I will then fit this and my new coil . If that doesn't work I'm gonna burn the damn car!!

kyepan

Keep at it. This smells like one of those forehead slappingly simple problems. Your going to kick yourself when you figure it out. Firstly get some pics up and someone may spot it for you

skylinefeb75

I've just got the dizzy so..... Could anyone let me know what's involved timing wise? Do I need to reset the timing when I remove the old and fit the new or is there a simple way of doing the job without having to reset the timing?

Miles

No need to worry about the timing, just locate the dizzy in the middle and go from there, is it pinks, retard it slightly or if not you can advance it more

skylinefeb75

If I make a mark on the can housing and put the new dizzy in exactly the same position the timing should be unaltered should it not?

If I make a mark on the can housing and put the new dizzy in exactly the same position the timing should be unaltered should it not?

welshpug

bot as easy as that, especially with a turbo, but sling it on in the middle of the slot and ti should start at the least then go from there.

skylinefeb75

I know with a turbo the timing is critical but is there no way or making 100 percent sure that the new dizzy is fitted exactly the same as the old? I don't wanna mess up the timing... Got enough on my plate already !!

Also guys, can someone post up which connections should exist at the positive and negative terminals of the coil so I can check all are present and correct and exactly where they go too Incase I need to trace each wire back to its origin?

M@tt

so have you had all spark plugs out and attached to the ignition leads and none of them spark at all?

next thing to test is that the dizzy is "distributing" the spark from the king lead input connector to the 4 igniton lead ouput connectors.

1) So pull all the leads off the dizzy cap

2) Set the multimter to continuity

3) Put one probe on the king lead connector of the cap (might need to tape it in place)

4) Put the other probe on one of the other dizzy cap outlet connectors then spin the engine over (by hand is probably best ie turn the crank pulley (spark plugs out will make it spin over easier))

If the dizzy/cap/rotor is "distributing" ok then you should get continuity between the king lead connector and each outlet for a brief period as the engine spins. If you dont get any continuity buzz then that would suggest cap/rotor is faulty.

If you do get a continuity buzz, but are still getting no spark at any of spark plugs then it would suggest the rotor is not in contact with one of the ignition lead contacts when its receiving the spark from the king lead, so this woudl suggest somethign is seriously out of time.

Give that a whirl and report back

Edited by M@tt

skylinefeb75

Cheers Matt, Ill give that a go later. i fitted a new coil last night and stil lno joy. I was getting a very weak spark at the king lead but after turning the engine over a few times and trying to earth the kinglead the spark stopped. I then checked the ignition module for a pulse with the tacho setting on my new toy......probing the negative side of the coil and earth and bang....no pulse! Im sure when i changed this module last weekend I had a very small RPM pulse indicating the unit was functioning....but now nothing!! My mate has taken the unit away to test it on his test gear at work. So....presuming thats now foobar'd ive put a wanted post up on here for a 100% known to work ignition Module.

Ill try your tip later though as im miffed after fitting a new dizzy cap and rotor arm that there was no spark at the plugs, even when i was only getting a weak spark at the king lead.

Something strange is going on with this car....im sure its alive and randomly failing just to pi$$ me off!!

Cheers, Andy

M@tt

Stick with it mate, show it who's boss! :)

It'll be something and nothing

skylinefeb75

Well guys.... Thanks to 2 hours or Mark Sorrentos time with my assistance the car runs.... At last!! We are still not sure exactly why it wouldnt start or how we fixed it though..... Lol!! Cheers Mark.... You are a top geezer!!!

• Like 1

marksorrento205

It was a nice sound to hear it fire up :) I dont think that dislodged pin 2 at the dizzy to ecu loom connector helped matters ;)

welshpug

It was a nice sound to hear it fire up :) I dont think that dislodged pin 2 at the dizzy to ecu loom connector helped matters ;)

hmmm, now where did I hear mention of something like that?........

ohhh yeah a few pages back :lol:

pop the plug off the ignition amp and check for continuity to the distributor down the signal lead, the pins in the black 3 pin plug can pull out quite easily just like the injector plugs.

glad it was a simple fix and there was no Turbo Bonfire! :D

Edited by welshpug

dcc

Hehe ask mr welshpug who recently did the same! Lol

marksorrento205

Hehe ask mr welshpug who recently did the same! Lol

:lol: You this made me actually interested in what welshpug had posted after me, This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by welshpug. View it anyway? - as a one of then :lol:

• Like 1

skylinefeb75

Yes Welshpug.... I bow down to your superior knowledge fella!! You guys have all been really helpful on here .... A great introduction to a great forum and a good bunch of guys!! In going to fit an ignition retard module and a fuel management unit I have, whang it on my mates rollers and ensure the AFR is ok.... Then it's off to either Anglesey or Oulton park to punish some some scoobies and Evos!! Let's see what BHP this crate makes first eh!!

Tesstuff

Yes Welshpug.... I bow down to your superior knowledge fella!!

Hahaha!! Ask him how to make a rev counter work in a v6 conversion, and watch the excuses start :lol:

Great news about your car mate, told you my top man Mark would sort it for you :D

He does a mean v6 conversion(with working rev counter) too :lol:

skylinefeb75

Yup.... Marks the man!! I'm made up it finally runs. I now need to spend time reinforcing the rollcage installation as its pants, sort out fueling and ignition then it's getting killed out on track !! When the pug lump dies its getting a Honda 1.6 B16a Vtec lump and box fitted.... Fully forged, sleeved and with a huge turbo...... Fancy fitting that Mark????

Sign in to follow this