• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

[engine_work] 205 Xs > Gti6

allye

On target to get this pretty much done my Monday. Waxoyl'd the underside which is frankly a horrible job, goes on well though.

P1010035.jpg

P1010039.jpg

Got all the solid fuel lines in and changed over the brakes lines from the Rallye as they were less than a year old and all the correct length etc. (still need some tidying in these photos, plus cutting rubber lines to length etc)

P1010036.jpg

Got the Rallye on the XS suspension and wheels to wheel it about and get it to the scrap yard, looking very sorry for itself :(

P1010038.jpg

The XS also came some hi spec motorsport addition including rear lights and petrol cap, I think I'm right in saying these add 10hp by themselves?

P1010042.jpg

Much better!

P1010041.jpg

Got the gti beam on the XS as well, nice to see it isn't bent, I put the beam on by myself last time and it was a right arse, had help this time and it was much, much easier! Fuel tank is also in so that all the horrible jobs out the way. Its going to look lovely on the rallye wheels.

P1010037.jpg

All ready to bolt the engine in tomorrow and get it on its new wheels :)

P1010043.jpg

Andy_C

Fast work mate! Pretty sure those lights give 110bhp extra at the wheels. Innit.

• Like 1

Daviewonder

I've read that copper fuel lines aren't a good idea. I think the fuel dissolves them?

allye

I've read that copper fuel lines aren't a good idea. I think the fuel dissolves them?

I asked earlier this week and plently of people are using it fine for years and years. To be honest the car isn't going to be in one piece much more than a year :lol:

Anthony

Making good progress Ali :)

What I would say that is where you've extended those fuel lines I would put another bracket to secure them to the shell next to where it meets the rubber hose - as it stands, the movement resulting from the jolting and bumping as you drive along is liable to eventually cause fatigue failure and a fuel leak which could have disastrous consequences.

Obviously you need some fuel line clips on there as well as they're not there in the photo, and if you haven't already done so, a small flair on the end of the copper pipe to keep the rubber hose from coming off would be a good move too, particularly as that will be nigh on impossible to get at once the engine is in place.

sickomotorsport

sorry to see the rallye wrote off,this is looking good, did you cut the back arches on the rallye? if so why and will you be doing it with this one?

allye

Making good progress Ali :)

What I would say that is where you've extended those fuel lines I would put another bracket to secure them to the shell next to where it meets the rubber hose - as it stands, the movement resulting from the jolting and bumping as you drive along is liable to eventually cause fatigue failure and a fuel leak which could have disastrous consequences.

Obviously you need some fuel line clips on there as well as they're not there in the photo, and if you haven't already done so, a small flair on the end of the copper pipe to keep the rubber hose from coming off would be a good move too, particularly as that will be nigh on impossible to get at once the engine is in place.

Cheers Anthony, indeed fuel clips will be added! Good point about the movement in the lines though, I'll add one more set of clips.

sorry to see the rallye wrote off,this is looking good, did you cut the back arches on the rallye? if so why and will you be doing it with this one?

I did yes, for the reason that the rears scrubbed and I so fed up one day I cut them back! However its the biggest regret I have though and would never do it again, just stop being so tight and pay a body shop to roll the arches a litter wider!

allye

I was really hoping to get the engine in today but got held up after checking the cambelt before I put the engine back in. The tensioner is really stiff, still goes round but not any where near as easy as it should. After speaking to Dan (chipstick) he confirmed that it really wasn't right, so have to wait till tomorrow and get one delivered form the factors.

Instead of doing the engine I set about finishing off the little jobs around the bay that would be hard with the engine in.

IMG_20120325_175237.jpg

Rebuilt my front struts, as you can see during the off I bent one of spax shocks, they were due for replacement soonish any way although both still damping well and not leaking. Set up now is Bilstein, group N mounts and peugeot sport springs (not sure exactly what they are only that they are from GTI6boy's old Rallye)

IMG_20120325_141830.jpg

IMG_20120325_141815.jpg

Standard barry boy stereo wiring to sort!

IMG_20120325_175216.jpg

Got most of the interior back in after fitting the fuel pump wiring, leaving the front seats till I have hoovered it and got the rest of dash in place. Half leathers came with the car and are in very good nic apart from the usual drivers, need to look out for a passenger replacement as some point.

IMG_20120325_175207.jpg

IMG_20120325_175156.jpg

Could not have asked for a better weekend to do this ^_^

IMG_20120325_143847.jpg

So engine in tomorrow and get it up and running, not going to lie I'm expecting it to move under its own power tomorrow.

• Like 1

welshpug

theyre just B4's and ventura springs by the look of them, same as what I have :)

allye

theyre just B4's and ventura springs by the look of them, same as what I have :)

Can't be bad then! the old shocks combined with a slightly lowered gti beam and spax rear dampers made for a very nice raod setup whilst not being too harsh.

Any ideas why the tensioner would go stiff WP? Lack of use?

welshpug

iffy bearing is all I can think, lack of use shouldn't make a difference with a sealed cartridge bearing.

allye

Well, its running :) Couldn't really get hold of just a tensioner so £85 lighter.....

IMG_20120326_120714.jpg

Even used the Gates fitting tool where you flick the belt to ensure it is at the correct tension, not sure about conversions but this usually means if the cambelt fails Gates pay for a new engine/repairs :D Engine went in from underneath, really is much more easy than through the top, no scuffing paint which I usually do.

IMG_20120326_131541.jpg

IMG_20120326_180811.jpgIMG_20120326_180852.jpg

Managed to some how mix up the feed and return pipes but soon realised and it jumped into life in its 3rd car of its life. Only have one wire not doing anything, not sure what it is?

IMG_20120326_172553.jpg

Also got some wierd electrical issues I'll sort on Thursday when I plan to have it on the road testing/teething problems. Its been a bloody long 4 days and really rather hard work! I'm certainly going to keep this one on the road :lol:

Edited by allye

allye

Any one get any ideas on the above wire? I seem to remember it plugging in some where!

chipstick

Is that not the glovebox light wire?

sambaileyw

looks similar to some wiring I had going to a horn? the plug does anyways..

chipstick

looks similar to some wiring I had going to a horn? the plug does anyways..

Horn plug is similar yeah, but not in the glovebox :lol:

sambaileyw

oops I only looked at the plug :unsure: lol...

BERTMAN

Gutted for you over the Rallye mate! Nice to see you getting on with the XS though! Makes me feel i should probably do something with mine :lol:

muddatrucker

Good progress, its gonna look good on those steelies when its all cleaned up.

tdr_1976

Bloody Hell mate! Sorry to see you had an excursion with the Rallye.

Keep up the good work with the new project, onwards and upwards!

welshpug

bit late now, but next time you need a belt kit get it from GSF, a good £35 cheaper :o

daza4

Sad to see the rallye didnt last long mate !

but good progress on the new shell - i need some inspiration to get on and finish mine!! it hasnt changed much since you last saw it !!!!

Good luck and pop along to a wilts meet when your free.

Daza

Miles

Not used that one on GTi models,

You won;t get any payout from Gates unless your fully qualified I'm afraid and they accept it was there failure, Peugeot do the same with there Trade Club

allye

Not used that one on GTi models,

You won;t get any payout from Gates unless your fully qualified I'm afraid and they accept it was there failure, Peugeot do the same with there Trade Club

£35 cheaper from GSF maybe, but gates are the dogs bollocks. I fitted it Miles, but my friend where I work on the car is a mechanic and he tested it with the little gadget so its all good.

Its pretty much done Wes, just need to bolt a few things down and put the front seats in then for some road testing!