• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

[engine_work] 205 Xs > Gti6

allye

So after turning this;

asigotit.jpg

oldengine.jpg

into this

P1010011.jpg

IMG_20120302_174940.jpg

then doing this to it

IMG_20120315_125023.jpg

IMG_20120315_125038.jpg

(build thread)

I needed a new shell asap, I wanted a 5dr sleeper but lost out on a tidy one on ebay, I also didn't want a GTI shell as its a bit samey putting a 6' in a GTI (no offence!) so purchased a ph2 XS from a friend who had purchased just a few weeks previously on bit of a whim so was perfect for me.

Unfortunately I haven't got the time at the moment to go to the extent I did with the rallye but I will be giving it all a damn good clean, treating some rust and making it look presentable. I'll be sticking with the 6 speed and basically transferring everything over, pretty much a a complete reshell.

The grey is rock solid with only some surface rust in the usual inner wings to deal with, I'm also looking forward to grey car on white wheel, will look good! Started today got both engines out, front of the xs completely stripped ready for cleaning rallye is half way stripped, possibly my most productive day working on my cars!

IMG_20120317_144637.jpg

IMG_20120317_144607.jpg

IMG_20120317_144517.jpg

• Like 1

allye

IMG_20120317_130901.jpg

IMG_20120317_130854.jpg

A couple of things alarmed me, whats missing from this photo? only thing I have done is removed the wheel...

IMG_20120317_122522.jpg

Also the battery tray was only held on with 2 bolts! Then this is how we left it tonight

IMG_20120317_181429.jpg.

I've got a long weekend off next week so I plan on getting it pretty much done :blink:

Edited by allye

allanallen

Jesus h Christ! Where's the pinch bolt?!!

allye

Jesus h Christ! Where's the pinch bolt?!!

Well spotted! I would say this is the reason for the strange feeling handerling :blink:

• Like 1

Miguelhbx

Was it hard to do the conversion?I'd love to gti6 mine!

allye

Was it hard to do the conversion?I'd love to gti6 mine!

Not if you do PLENTY of reading up on here and have some experience with a spanner!

sambaileyw

wow at the lack of pinch bolt.. thats mad...

man that rallye looks so sad :( was such a nice example as well.... atleast your ok, and you aint throwing in the towel :P and tbf xs's are quite nice :)

allye

Got a couple hours in this morning, I wasn't going to treat the under sides due to time constraints but whilst its all may as well wire wheel it and Waxoyl it. Forgot what a twat working on cars that have never been apart is! Only had to use the easy-outs twice, and snapped 1 stud. I would say this shell is better condition than the Rallye when I got it.

IMG_20120318_130102.jpg

IMG_20120318_131254.jpg

Oh, and had to crack out the grinder on 'that' jubilee on the filler>tank hose!

• Like 1

custard-rallye

Looking good Shell looks clean

muddatrucker

Quick work, I commend your ability to 'get over' the rallye and get to work so quickly, it'll make for a better car.

allye

Getting my hands on another shell so quick really helped me get over it! This time round I'm diving in brimming with confidence as I've done it all before where as last time it was one long learning curve. As a result its coming apart much quicker and to a point I feel like I'm going to be doing a more thorough job, as I will be correcting a couple issues/things that were on the rallye.

• Like 1

Andy_C

Nice progress mate will be watching this.

allye

Turns out the culprit for the wonky wheel was a bent strut, also bent a drop link. Only other damaged bits was my new nissens radiator <_< So popped up to Anthony this eve to get the above, changing from Spax shocks to some B4's and luckily Anthony had a decent nissens item, all the help to keep the 6' cool!

I'm throwing 4 10-12hr days at this as of Friday, so I'm expecting it to be pretty much up and running come Monday.... :blink:

chipstick

Fail. I just remembered I know of a sub £150 5 door in that very colour. The colour reminded me of it. Not far from you really either. I am an idiot. Fancy another project?

Again, great progress. All the best with it and hope you get it sorted and on the road in no time at all :)

Edited by chipstick

allye

To be fair I was chatting to Anthony last night and as you and a good friend said they 5dr would have been a fad a fun for a bit, then after a while it would got boring with small doors and B pillar right in my face!

Turbo7379

Your mate was lucky he didn't keep the car with that missing pinch bolt. I've had a ball joint snap during a stock car race & that was uncontrollable at 20mph, imagine if that arm came out on the motorway!

I had an XS & I loved it - really nippy with the lovely snort from the twin choke solex carb. Are you keeping the XS suspension setup?

allye

Are you keeping the XS suspension setup?

NO! Its all already off and going on the rallye so I can move the rallye.....to the scrap yard.

Also my friend had just driven that car from Birmingham to Wiltshire! I'd only driven it a couple miles and the handerling felt really wierd.

chipstick

i'm surpised you haven't advertised the rallye shell on here for a couple hundred quid for someone to repair?

I don't bother with suspension when weighing in shells. Pallet and a winch onto a trailer suffices.

allye

I wouldn't want to sell it to someone when it is truly bent, as I said the passenger door doesn't close correctly now.

allye

Got the horrible job out the way today, wire wheeled the entire underside of the XS and gave the areas of surface rust a generous coating of Kurust, tomorrow morning will stone chip the entire underside and arches.

Also dropped the dash from both cars today, something I have never done but its fairly easy, swapped over the dash looms and sorted the fan dial on the xs as it wasn't working, turned out someone had failed to A- plug it in, and B- put the wire back into the wheel! :wacko:

IMG_20120323_105129.jpg

Now, with the 6' engine and 6 speed box the engine was not coming out the top! So I took the reverse approach which is actually a hole lot easier if the sub frame is off and the engine is on a little dolly

IMG_20120323_152736.jpg

IMG_20120323_182114.jpg

It actually bent the bumper supports so I'll use the load leveler on the XS

This is all very familiar :ph34r:

IMG_20120323_182105.jpg

It going to be a lovely weekend!

IMG_20120323_182621.jpg

Very happy with the progress today and am on track for it to be up and running by Monday :)

Andy_C

Excellent progress.

MiniGibbo

Never knew you binned the Rallye dude :(

Glad you're ok and are already cracking on with a new one..!

Shame to see another Rallye off the road though..

allye

Excellent progress.

Thanks Andy! keep an eye out for the next few days progress is going to be rapid!

Never knew you binned the Rallye dude :(

Indeed, first time I ever experienced the tail happy 205 reputation -_-

MiniGibbo

205's are tail happy..?

Good thing I come from a rwd past then :)