• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

[misc_work] Miami Blue 205 Gti

Lowercase

today i got cracking on painting the interior metal. some pics of its progression:

DSCF2094.jpg

DSCF2093.jpg

DSCF2092.jpg

and then some blue..

DSCF2096.jpg

DSCF2098.jpg

DSCF2099.jpg

not my finest paint job, but sod it, its going under carpet anyway. speaking of.. clean carpet back in

DSCF2100.jpg

and matts in

DSCF2102.jpg

decided to put a few finishing touches to the center console too after seeing a chap on here do it.

DSCF2105.jpg

next up.. seats

richpowell

When you took the carpet out what was the sound deadening like underneath? Did you refit it when you came to put the carpet back in. Love the little touches on the centre console might have to do something like that myself.

james_pug

Floor looks to be very solid, good work on the carpet aswell.

Lowercase

When you took the carpet out what was the sound deadening like underneath? Did you refit it when you came to put the carpet back in. Love the little touches on the centre console might have to do something like that myself.

the sound deadening was a bit horrid really, it was wet and soggy and really heavy and ripped, so i pulled it up and binned it.

when it came to putting it all back in, i went over the floor and put a few little squares of duct tape over any holes (im too cheap to faff about with blanking grommets) so im hoping that it should help keep out any damp, but ill have to keep my eye on it all and make sure no waters getting in from the door seals etc.

as for new sound deadening - i forgot to photo this step - but i used the spongey boot liner that i removed from my 206, cut it in half and put half in the front passenger side and the other in the drivers side, fits like a dream, its more light weight, should protect the floor pan from the carpet and reduce a bit of road noise.

jobs a gooden'

- cheers james, the floor came up really well and should hold up for a good while now the rust is dealt with. cant wait to get it all back in now.

Brian M

Lookin good bud ;) That gear gaitor seems to make big difference, i have seem some in terrible states!

Lowercase

cheers bri, im fixing the chairs as i type. switching good foam from a fecked chair into my passenger seat. need a gear knob now too and i can start to finish off the interior :) might have to be an cheap aftermarket one for now though.

gsidave

Looks really clean inside and not needed any welding, wish mine was that clean inside. Good look with the seats.

Lowercase

been a bit busy this week collecting some parts and salvaging a seat.

what im rolling on.. seat A

DSCF2107.jpg

and seat B

DSCF2108.jpg

so, goodish foam from seat A out and the split glued back together

DSCF2109.jpg

then some thin gauze fabric glued over it to strengthen it.

DSCF2110.jpg

while im at it, ill add some gauze to the other foam too.

DSCF2113.jpg

then time to pull out the duff foam from seat B

DSCF2112.jpg

DSCF2114.jpg

and then get the newly repaired foam in :D

DSCF2115.jpg

the finished article, ready for a damn good clean!

DSCF2122.jpg

DSCF2121.jpg

seat A is of course useless now, so if anyone has a matching front seat in good condition i will have your arm off!

Edited by DaSneakyGit

Lowercase

the seat frames were also broken and swiveling all over the place, so i got the MIG out and with some help from the chaps at work, got them propa again and started cleaning them up ready for a bit of paint!

DSCF2117.jpg

also had some deliveries this week, some dark grey acoustic fabric for the boot walls.

and an aftermarket gear knob to use while i decide what to do about the old one. but for £12 delivered i dont think its too bad at all.

DSCF2118.jpg

gsidave

good work on the seats. looks like a common thing that needs doing to 205 gti nowadays.

bluesleeper

liking the gearknob you bought. Ebay purchase?

Lowercase

you knows it bru, pretty nice item to be honest, not garish, nice and heavy, feels good in your hand, will have to see how the finish holds up, and the R is a little blury, could just be my bad eyes though lol. but i'd buy another for my next project. will be fitting it tomorow

Lowercase

well, the weeks been a bit of a duff one for the GTI.

i did manage to get the center console and things back into the car. new gaiter and gear knob. the carbon fiber on the gear stick isnt staying, its just a quick fix for now.

DSCF2134.jpg

also put the repaired passenger seat in. and test fitted the recaro thats still in one piece to see what the size was like. thoughts?

DSCF2132.jpg

DSCF2135.jpg

and i carpeted the side walls of the boot today. so that's the good bit.

and now the bad.. :(

the replacement wind deflector i got doesn't fit, namely because my sunroof is some weird dealer fitted one off aftermarket jobby and the chances of finding he bits i need are nill ... so that will be removed this week and then ill start making up a plate at work to fill it in. after that it will all be smoothed over.

this has also somewhat changed my plans for the car a bit too, as the list of bits to be painted now spans half the car, ive decided to have a chap at work respray the whole thing. made more sense this way, otherwise ill have several different shades of blue with various finishes at considerable expense. so the new paint job wont be showcar standard, but it will at least be all one shade and all the same finish. mates rates mixed with a sorta 'the paintjob will be as good as i want to pay for' deal.

with that in mind i may yet add my own flair to the interior a bit more in the form of black suede recaros. but we'll see. i best get saving.

Daviewonder

Would it not be worth having a look around some scrapyards for a wind deflector? They were fitted to quite a few cars in the 80's and 90's so you might get lucky and find one that sits high enough. It's gotta be worth a go as it will save you a lot of work in the long run.

Lowercase

maybe, i don't really know of any scrap yards near me, nor do i ever have any time in the day when i can go and look around these places due to work. and to be truthful, im not looking to bust a lung to keep a sun roof i'd rather not have in the first place.

the paint as it is is far from perfect though its been part repainted before in its life by the looks of it and theirs dings all down the sides, scratches, gunshot hole. so it could use a freshen up. its a rust free enough shell to make it worth the extra hours.

whether i go as far as spraying the interior and bay will depend on price/ how much i want to throw at it.

Lowercase

im considering changing the blue to a slightly darker shade too, maybe ford ST blue or something, just to help modernize the car a bit and give it a bit more of an aggressive look.

thoughts on what blue?

the colour change will depend heavily on the price though and what i think ill need to respray on the interior. insides of the doors and boot of course, shut lines, and boot floor. the engine bay i will do at a later date.

Daviewonder

I would keep it Miami Blue B)

Lowercase

agreed. i took the wheels off today to get the fuel line sock back in its place, and cleaned all the arches while i was at it. and then gave the car a good wash and soap and the miami blue really is nice. definately going to keep the miami blue, just needs a freshen up, as now the dirts off you can see where all the laquers started to fade and theres little blisters under the paint and a 'can of coke' mark on the bonnet where some ones rested a drink on it lol.

so yea, definately a nice new coat of miami blue coming its way. and ill plasticare all the plastics while ive got them off the car. and respray the red stripes to bring them up nicely to match.

cant wait to lay into it now!

oo, how do i get the headlining out without mangling stuff? unscrew the sunvisors etc. how do i get the roof grab handles and things off?

Lowercase

paid a trip to the new forest while i was having a weekend in hampshire and met matt (minigibbo) and swaped him an interior for some tidy little recaro's.

foams all good, so after ive got busy on the machine and recovered them in some nice leather i have laying around, and found something nice for the centres, they'll look the part.

DSCF2161.jpg

i also started to strip the car down with a mate ready for it's respray.

crappy dealer fitted sunroof is off, ready to be filled it and smoothed over.

DSCF2155.jpg

DSCF2156.jpg

tailgate off and started taking the lights out,

DSCF2154.jpg

rear hatch to be striped and for the wiper arm and washer nipple to be smoothed over.

DSCF2159.jpg

and glad i spend to long cleaning all this, because now its gotta come out again! but, the red carpets wont be going back in :)

DSCF2157.jpg

ill take the tail gate into work this week and do the smoothing and get that rubbed back ready for paint, bit by bit...

Lowercase

got a fair bit done as of late, some pics to follow shortly. cars slowly creeping closer to being ready to go to the painters.

the deal i had for a rallye fell through unfortunately, but im picking up a tidy gti6 on sunday so i can sell my 206 and use some of the cash to pay for the respray.

one step closer to finishing this thing!

Lowercase

got the rear glass out and tailgate stripped down ready to have the wiper arm and washer jet smoothed over. anyone know if you can still get new rubber seals for the rear window and how much they are?

DSCF2248.jpg

and the bonnets stripped down. one ding and a bit of surface rust on the underside to sort out. other than that pretty tidy :)

DSCF2253.jpg

cybernck

Was removing the rear screen difficult?

allye

Good work, although I never understand why people get rid of the rear wiper, I always use it!

Edited by allye

Lowercase

i was in half a mind about keeping the wiper, more for cosmetic reasons than function. but i keep a pack of glass wipes in the glovebox incase a bird craps on the glass so ill be alright without it, that and i like to keep my cars sickeningly clean!

the washer jet is definately going though, as it looks like an old ladies nipple!

the black slatted plastic is going back on though to keep that classic look. just needs a good going over with the plasticare.

i think anyway. im just trying to declutter the car a bit. i want to keep it looking really original on the outside, but with them little details you spot 2nd time around that just help to clean it up a bit and really show off the lines of the car.

getting the glass out was a bit of a task really. it was like bonded in so had to run a really sharp blade around it from the back and position about 7 screw drivers under the glass and just bit by bit get it free, took me about 2 hours.. managed to save the exterior rubber trim so if i struggle to get a new rubber at a reasonable price, ill just bond it back in again and stick the rubber back around to make it look nice.

im also contemplating a half cage too. matey at work put one in his rallye and i really like it. as its simple but still allows for the rear bench. reasons being, i just love cages, the car has had a side impact in the past so just having that little extra protection to that area will give me peace of mind knowing that my mrs will be driving this most the time. and i think it will just work well with the new interior and re carpeting that will be taking place. ill take a snap of his tomorow.

Edited by DaSneakyGit

Lowercase

long time with no update, wish i had some pictures to post up, but, its just trundling along,, some of the strip down is being a sod as it always is with these things, bumpers that are rusted on etc, buggers bolts holding the doors on. motivations been a bit low as i also have a gti6 now as my daily which seems to be getting most of my time spent on it.

but i 've got to get a move on with this thing now and get all the dings filled in and the rest of the body rubbed down. time to buy the paint soon and get myself a really good paint gun. then its off for a trip down to work to get a fresh coat of paint. :) i'm not going to come away with a concourse finish, i accept that. but funds are low, and time is even lower, so its got to be done and i shall be happy with what ever the outcome is.

im still in two minds about the sunroof, i can either fill it in with a spot welded plate , or trawl down to a scrappys and find a subtle sunroof and drop that in the hole.

time to get this bitch back on the road!