• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

[misc_work] Miami Blue 205 Gti

Lowercase

Hi guys,

picked myself up a new project the other day. Miami Blue 205 GTI 1.6.

On the whole it's in pretty good nick, just dirty. one scratch on the passenger door that will need some attention from chips away, and one 'air riffle' hole near the rear passenger wheel, which i'll sort at work.

hardly any rust however and it goes like the clappers.

it has some jbl's in the front too, which is nice i guess.

pic from when i got it home.

P1050699.jpg

and with my 206

P1050696.jpg

started stripping out the interior for a damn good clean. 20 years of dirt, dust, fag ash and rubbish. being thorough, so air vents out, replacing the foam around them etc, sorting any small surface rust in the boot before re carpeting and putting the plastics back in.

P1050751.jpg

P1050755.jpg

the front seats are a bit knackered as usual in 205's

P1050754.jpg

will keep updates coming :) C&C welcome as always

• Like 1

Lowercase

The car had a new gearbox fitted not long before i got it, so it drove really well. But it had nothing in the way of service history and it badly needed an oil change and a good service.

so i got started on that.

Mobil Super Oil, Replacement Sump Plug Washer, Oil Filter and some Engine Flush to clear out 20 years of gloop.

P1050758.jpg

next mechanical job will be a cam belt change, water pump and air filter.

still pushing on with getting the interior stripped out and cleaned.

Lowercase

a new leather gear surround came today to replace the tatty old one. real nice genuine cow hide for a reasonable £8, and its a really accurate replica so jobs a good'un! ill have to have a go at putting some leather on the gear knob now and refurbishing the gear grid on top to match

DSCN1898.jpg

Atari Boy

Nice work, where did the gear stick gaiter come from - eBay?

Lowercase

i'm after a wind deflector for the vacuum sunroof too if any one has one please? cash waiting

richpowell

Looks like a great project ill watch this closely, ive ordered myself one of those gear stick gaitors was looking at similar ones the other day and the quality looks great on the one you got.

Im sure you will find all you want on here, much more informative than 206 info :)

Edited by richpowell

Lowercase

Looks like a great project ill watch this closely, ive ordered myself one of those gear stick gaitors was looking at similar ones the other day and the quality looks great on the one you got.

Im sure you will find all you want on here, much more informative than info :)

yea its nice leather - quality is on par with the hides i have to retrim my recaro seats and the stitching is strong, just gotta get my hands on a staple gun now to put the sod back on!

richpowell

yea its nice leather - quality is on par with the hides i have to retrim my recaro seats and the stitching is strong, just gotta get my hands on a staple gun now to put the sod back on!

Are you going to be retriming these seats to repair the rips etc? Have you got any mechanical plans for it or just to enjoy it?

Lowercase

for the seats, they arent worth retrimming, as if i did them in leather they would end up oweing me almost as much as i paid for the car. and even in cloth they would be a sod as the foam on all chairs these days doesnt fill the covers like they once did, so it would take a lot of work to make them good, or cost a lot for all new foams.

so, ive managed to source a spare front seat in good condition, which will be my new drivers seat. and ill take the good passenger side foam from my current drivers seat, and put it in my passenger seat, which has collapsed foam from people getting in and out. the cover on that one is good though apart from a tiny tiny hole, which ill just stitch up, or borrow a patch of material from the scrap seat and glue it to the foam under the rip (devious, just like patching jeans) .

so i should have a decent interior out of it after a good clean :) nice and original too.

mechanical plans:

no plans to modify it, so all mechanical plans will be cam belt changes, spark plugs , HT leads etc, and if funds allow im hoping to make use of the time its off the road to get some of the suspension bits off to shot blast and apply a few layers of hammerite to tidy them up. and just generally tidy up the engine bay as much as i can, replace tired looking hoses, refurb air filter box etc.

overall plan is to make it tidy and mechanically sound and as close to healthy factory power as i can, and just enjoy it, i dont want it 100% show room as i dont want to spend thousands on it, i just want it to put a smile on my face.

Fox

Looks like a nice daily runner this! Looks fairly rust free!

GLPoomobile

yea heres the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280554354735?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_956wt_1270

they do other colour stitching too.

very pleased with the quality

I would recommend that seller too. Got gear and handbrake gaiters with green stitching for my Alfa, for about £13 quid. Brilliant quality for the money, and was sent quickly too.

Lowercase

Looks like a nice daily runner this! Looks fairly rust free!

rust free yes, just a tinny bit of bubbling starting in front of one of the back wheels, and a line down the side in the engine bay. all to be sorted..

as for running good....

did the oil change today. what a mission.

this is what we found inside the engine oil cap

DSCN1899.jpg

DSCN1901.jpg

looks like some one had taken a dump in the engine. so we used some engine flush and cleaned up what we could and after an hours battle with a rusty sump plug we had this

DSCN1903.jpg

still a little glob hanging on the side, so ill get something down there tomorow to get it out. and i may need to replace the fat tube on the oil filler cap as that was clogged with it too. not sure what its called?but i imagine a change of air filter would be next on the list as it was connected to all that jazz..

and then after another hours battle with a rusted on oil filter, i replaced it and put in 5 ltrs of mobil super semi synthetic oil and a new oil filler cap. seems much happier now. so a good days work.

what does all that pooop that was in there mean? should i start collecting parts for a new head gasket job?

Fox

I'd imagine that's just condensation. The rusty mess in your hand is a gauze type filter that most people remove.

If it was the head gasket I'd expect more of a creamy white, and the oil would be the same colour. Was the oil ok?

Lowercase

the oil was like a dark chocolate fondoo, pretty thick too. theres white residue on that glob thats left , but that could be engine flush detergenty stuff left over? ill stick a bit of coat hanger with some sponge on down there tomorow and get it out. then that should at least be the last of it once ive finished clearing the tube too.

is there any reason people remove the metal meshy gauze? surely its there for a reason?

Anthony

I believe the purpose of the guaze is as a flame trap, and certainly there is no obvious ill-effect day to day from removing it.

The reason that it is often removed is because it starts to rust and break up, dumping bits of metal wire into the sump which tend to get lodged in the oil pickup (if you're lucky) or sucked through the oil pump and around the engine.

A new cap isn't much money (about a fiver from Neat IIRC) or you can remove the old guaze and use a stainless steel scouring pad in its place if you're a cheapskate.

There is further guaze between the two layers of the oil filler tower, and that's far more difficult to remove and can give the same problems.

The mayo like gunge is fairly normally at this time of year thanks to the design of the breather system, especially if the car doesn't get regular long journeys to really get the oil up to temperature. Clean it out (including from the pipes themselves) and try and use the car for a long journey (or drive it hard) periodically to get the oil nice and hot.

Lowercase

ah, yea i put a new oil cap on today, which had some gauze in there, so i'll whip that out tomorow when i clean the pipe a gloop out.

and yea the car isnt used a lot at all at the moment as ive been getting the work needed done on it , its last long journey was just over a week ago when i went to pick it up, so that would explain the mayo.

thanks mate :) good to find helpful people these days

it was idling really high at first when i got it (like 3000rpm), and a mate said the suggested idle for it was about 750 rpm, so i adjusted it back down to this after my jobs today, but it sounded like it was really struggling, so i put it up to just over 1000 rpm and sort of went by the sound, should be ok?

Anthony

750rpm is a bit low really - it will idle at that speed, but it'll be far happier around 900-1000rpm (hot) and will be far easier to get it to behave on a cold start and under high electrical load (lights, blowers etc all on).

Lowercase

did a bit more stripping out of the interior today, seats out

DSCN1913.jpg

carpet and sound deadening out

DSCN1914.jpg

DSCN1915.jpg

but while i was doing this i noticed a lot of mud from under the remaining arch pannel, so i got the pannel off (buggering most the clips as i went! oops) and found this..

DSCN1916.jpg

looks like its had a big dent pulled out at some point in its life. at least the repair looks good from the out side, but i think there must be a small gap under all this mud, from the wheels coming into the car..

DSCN1918.jpg

what it should look like.

DSCN1919.jpg

so thats my next job this week, get all that mud out and see what im dealing with, hopefully i can do an easy and effective fix.

Daviewonder

....and refurbishing the gear grid on top to match

I gave mine a good scrub with washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush, then I rubbed T-Cut into the red bits using an old tooth brush to get rid of most of the fading, lastly I rubbed some olive oil into the red bits to get it looking bright red again.

Lowercase

cheers davie! ill give that a go, gotta pull it off first without punching myself in the face :P always fun

Brian M

Great wee project, welcome to the old skool side of pug motoring as opposed to 206info! :)

Leon

Thanks for the link to that gear gaiter, I fitted mine today::

13.jpg

Keep up the work :)

Lowercase

looks good Leon, glad i could point you in the right direction.

i'll be fitting mine this week i hope. have shampooed the carpet and i'm just rust treating and tidying up the little spots on the interior metal.

then ill start putting the carpets back in, re carpet the boot and after a bit more swearing and faffing about with the front seats, get the interior back in, all clean and smelling new :)

will do another update of my weekends work too when i get time. got some seam filler to sort out that gap in the inner wheel arch too.

plodding on.

Lowercase

well, i finally managed to clear the crap out of that muddy arch, and got them both ready to have the rust treated. the cause of the mud it seems it the rubber sock that covers the fuel filler pipe has come out of its place on top of the wheel arch. so i need to get it back in there, or give it a healthy covering of duct tape!

DSCF2085.jpg

i also fitted my new leather gaitor to its trim piece so that's ready to go back now

DSCF2089.jpg

and after some vanish carpet cleaner and a good weekend of scrubbing, i got the carpet clean! and i pushed the boat out with some £10 halfords car mats...

DSCF2091.jpg

and i got the shell all rust treated, sealed the edges and wiped it ready for a dusting of paint tomorow.

DSCF2083.jpg

DSCF2082.jpg

more to come C&C welcome as always :)

Edited by DaSneakyGit