• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Scientist

[engine_work] 2.2 Gti6 Engine Build

Sandy

One way or another :S

dcc

:o

ooooh teasing!

Mad Scientist

It's ready for the dyno..............

• Like 3

welshpug
:D

BusEngineer

Woohoo!!

DrSarty

Drums fingers on table.....from a long way away.

Good luck guys. Regards to you all.

Mad Scientist

Lol!

Well it's been on the dyno, it's all stayed bolted together, and it's ready for the car.

Headline figures will have to wait until its in the car, trimmed on the rollers and tested on track. Feels like I'm "jinxing" it otherwise.

For now I'll say this:

If you overlay my dyno figures over some recent headline builds, it looks like it should be more than adequate for the purpose it's been built for.

:)

pip470

What??? C'mon we have been waiting ages for the figures. Glad it stayed together for you.

welshpug

what were the issues and how did they get resolved?

Mad Scientist

Well......

When Sandy took the head and sump off, he wanted to check that there was no other reason for the block pressurising, other than piston blow by.

Everything looked good, and the honing was apparently ok. Not quite as good as Sandy would have done it, but ok.

He decided to check everything about the head/gasket to see if this was causing issue. This revealed that two of the head bolts at the pulley end were just about bottomed out and quite possibly weren't clamping the head properly in this area. This highlights how much attention to detail you need. I had checked four bolts thread length against the threads in the block, but not all of them. This was easily solved with a set of washers under the head bolts and a new gasket. Another £80 down the drain! Turns out this wasn't causing the issues now, but could have caused trouble later. Whilst he was in there, as already mentioned. He replaced the arp2000 rod bolts with Carrillo items for good measure. JRE has seen a few arp bolts fail at high revs now.......not worth the risk. Another £160 gone!

All back on the dyno, and guess what.......the engine started to pressurise again. At this point, Sandy and John knew it was down to the rings blowing by. Decision was made to keep going, after reinstating the crank case breather.

As mapping progressed, the breathing got better as the rings settled in. It's still breathing though, so we won't be running a vacuum with the dry sump system with this build. We expect the situation to get better with more time on the motor, but this isn't something Sandy or John usually see. Their accurate honing and ring selection means it simply doesn't happen. Reading around on the Internet, this is a common problem with total seal rings. They are too hard, and take ages to settle in.

In the meantime, running the breathers back to the top of the oil tank will solve the problem. I spoke to Pace, and they actually encourage customers to run their systems like this now anyway. Their tanks feature 2 breathers on the top for this purpose. They don't recommend a vacuum at all.............but it clearly works for John and Sandy, aswell as many others.

So what now? Well i need to pick the engine up, get it back here, get it in the car, get the car back to Cornwall, tweak the fuel on the rollers, test it at a venue tbc.................and then report back with the numbers on here!

Edited by Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist

What I will say is, it's met the purpose of stage rallying perfectly. I didn't want to have to rev the nuts of this, and I didn't want a lack of mid range grunt. Peak power is at a modest 7500rpm, which will mean that hopefully it is a less stressed and reliable unit. Peak torque is at 6000rpm, being nice and strong from 4500 up.

I think it should go pretty well, and I'm very happy.

Sandy

Well summarised :)

Mad Scientist

You seem to get up earlier and earlier Sandy!

welshpug

So what now? Well i need to pick the engine up, get it back here, get it in the car, get the car back to Cornwall, tweak the fuel on the rollers, test it at a venue tbc.................and then report back with the numbers on here!

errmmm, wouldn't it be easier to just get the car down to the engine, saves a trip down the M5!

Sandy

The problem then is any install issues that need to be resolved. We don't do installs any more because the hours needed to do a good job just get unchargeable (and we really are flat out busy). Any work that needs to be done on things that haven't been anticipated; gets rushed to beat the clock. Back at home Pete can take his time and do it right, less chance of issues on the rollers or further down the line.

Mad Scientist

Yep. What he said!

welshpug

fair enough!    guess it'd be different if the car was already built and just having a pure powerplant transplant :)

Mad Scientist

I'm not sure of that's sarcasm or not Mei?'

The car is built, and technically this is a straight swap, but I've got oil pipes to route etc.

In my experience so far, if something could go wrong, it will! I'd rather take my time at home with my own bed close by!

petert

Sounds good. Glad all worked out in the end.

alexcrosse

...so how much power did it make? lol.

Iain-gti

Any further news...?

marksorrento205

Yeah it is still not finished! Should not be to much longer though :)

Edited by marksorrento205

Iain-gti

Ok, interested wether its worth going down this route.

Dendle89

sounds great mate keep it going !

Mad Scientist

Well it's done!

Anglesey track day on Sunday as a little shake down.

It's loooooouuuuuddddd. Can't really hear the exhaust over the induction noise!

It's been times and mapped for a nice spread of power and torque without revving the nuts off it.ax power at about 7500rpm, max torque at about 6000rpm.

Numbers wise it's around 240bhp and 190lbft, without any insignificant peaks, and will definitely be enough!