• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Scientist

[engine_work] 2.2 Gti6 Engine Build

Mad Scientist

Pulleys have arrived, head on its way back.

pulleys.th.jpg

I have been looking at oil tank designs and, as long as it fits, i think this is the one:

tankvye.th.jpg

It is very comprehensively baffled, fully strippable for cleaning, and uses a flange, rather than a steel band and o-ring, to hold the two halves together. I will be blocking all breathers, so running the engine under an internal vacuum. As a result, there will be lots of air scavenged to the tank. It has a very well designed oil/air seperator and breather to handle this. I think it will fit, but I am going to make a dummy and check tonight.

The drysump kit should be here early next week.

Edited by Mad Scientist

petert

Looks good. How much, where from? The ability to pull apart and clean is a must. Otherwise, first blow up, who knows what shrapnel is left behind.

camgti

Pete, Im keen to get something like this. You want to share the shipping?

Great build to BTW

Cam

Mad Scientist

Sent you a pm.

The tank is made by ah fabrications. It's basically to Roy Millington's specs.

If you don't know who that is by the way, google millington diamond.

Mad Scientist

Well then.......

Been a while since I have done much to the car for various reasons, not least as I was waiting for the bottom end back.

Needless to say, I now have everything sat in my garage awaiting assembly. I have some time off work to get things finished next week, mapping is booked for mid August, and I'm itching to get behind the wheel again!

Plenty of updates over the coming days.

:)

pip470

Looking forward to it. Nice work.

Mad Scientist

Got a fair bit done today.

Managed to get the dry sump tank mounted nicely on rubber isolators. Its on the bulkhead behind the gearbox, so it means i've had to relocate the coolant tank, and shorten the solid coolant pipe on the back of the engine. I just need to measure up for the new coolant tank that i'm having made by AF Fabrications.

I also set about fitting the Gripper diff. True to form, the box needed some fettling. In fact, its still catching now, and I don't want to remove much more from the gearbox casing as its not that thick. I think i might machine the diff a touch to suit, which is how it should have been in the first place.

Finally got the fuel rail cleaned up and ready for some paint.

Tomorrows jobs:

Get the trimming and welding of the "tunnel" done, to give the manifold plenty of room.

Sort the inner arch protection that I need for the drysump pulley, as its very exposed.

Make a bracket for the remote oil filter.

Plus whatever I remember as I go!

Pictures towards the end of the week, when its all done, as I can't be arsed now!

Mad Scientist

Forgot.......

I also discovered that the exhaust cam oil feed (to vacuum pump) has been plugged, by Sand, as they were fitted to an XU7 head without the vac pump. This prevents the oil bleeding off when the drive from the vac pump isnt in place.

I was thinking about a bias pedal box to suit my huge Tarox brakes in the future anyway, but for now I think I need to remove it somehow and keep the servo setup.

Its going to be tricky to drill and tap such a small piece of alloy, to pull it out with a bolt, but I think thats the only way to do it.

Dj_mini

What size tank have you used on your install?

Have you got any pics?

Thanks

Mad Scientist

I had it made to my drawing by AH Fabrications. Nothing on the market would fit in the engine bay, so I had to go custom. It's not round, but is incredibly well baffled and has a separate air separator (which is round). Holds 6.5 litres to the top baffle line.

A picture paints a thousand words though, I'll take some tomorrow.

Mad Scientist

I'll update this properly soon, but just haven't got time at the moment. I'm in the final dash to get it finished. Mapping booked for next week!

Just spent the evening dummy building the engine and checking absolutely everything several times. Based on the last engine, I've assumed nothing. Good news is everything is spot on.

I'll get it built up properly tomorrow night hopefully.

• Like 1

marksorrento205

Glad all is well this time mate!

Mad Scientist

Tomorrow is d day. D for dyno.

• Like 2

clen666

Good luck! Great read so far mate

Baz

Good luck Pete, been lurking quietly! Looking forward to the outcome! :)

Mad Scientist

Cheers guys. I'm a bag of nerves.

Just woke up next to another man in a hotel!

Mark Sorrento 205 has come along to help me. We have another hours drive to get to Saltash, where Sandy is due to meet us at half eight.

The engine is in the car, but it will be coming out to go in the dyno room. Cams still need fitting, but I decided to let Sandy do it, as it's second nature to him! I still need to build the inlet up, as the revised angle manifold is in Sandy's boot. Colin only finished it last week.

Update later, hopefully with pleasant news!

Mad Scientist

We've made it to saltash. Just waiting for Sandy to arrive. First job: kettle on.

• Like 2

kyepan

We've made it to saltash. Just waiting for Sandy to arrive. First job: kettle on.

for goodness sake, don't let it boil!

and best of luck, fingers crossed for you.

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

Videos of noise please :D

petert

Live streaming would be better.......

• Like 2

Baz

Hope you took some biscuits!! ;)

BlueBolt

And the outcome was.......???????

Mad Scientist

Not good I'm afraid. My run of luck seems to continue.

After 2 epic days of messing around with it, we had to abandon because the crankcase was pressurising. Being totally sealed now due to dry sump, this was causing problems all round, including pushing out a crank seal. Best guess is probably blow by from a bad ring seal, but until it comes apart we won't know. I've left the engine with Sandy to investigate.

Even though there are still things to overcome, I've still had a great couple of days. I'd like to say a bIg thanks to Sandy, Mark, Alvin and Colin for all the effort so far. We will get there in the end!

• Like 1

kyepan

Hang in there.

TT205

Bugger :o