• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Scientist

[engine_work] 2.2 Gti6 Engine Build

Dj_mini

Dan,

Tank holds just over 7 litres to the top baffle. Full system has just under 10 litres in it with the cooler.

Question for you: what starter were you running on the last engine? Brise?

Pete

Yes brise unit i had a few problems with it at first as it wasnt meshing properly with my ttv flywheel so they changed the off set of the bracket to suit and it seems fine now.

wouldnt have any better pics of your tank would you ;)

Thanks Dan

Mad Scientist

I'll take some for you if you like, but basically it's a rectangle to fit in the space I had, with 4 tabs to mount it to the bulkhead with rubber bushes. It's made by ah fabrications, which is key. They designed a return unit with Roy Millington which deaerates the return oil. This means the tank can be any shape, rather than round if you are spinning the return around the tank to remove the air. Check out their website, it's all on there. Lars is the man to speak to. Absolute genius with a tig welder.

harryskid

Super motor you got there!

• Like 1

Cameron

Filter is upside-down. :P

• Like 1

welshpug

logo is upside-down on the filter

EFA :P

Mad Scientist

You know why it's that way up, but it really annoys me! Might have to get a custom one from itg!

To be honest, there might be enough room for the back plate to go the right way up with the revised inlet. That would also aid removal. At the moment you need hands like Jeremy beadle!

Mad Scientist

BTW, just fitted a Wosp 1.4kw high torque starter. Sounds like a machine gun. Spins up like its got no plugs in it. Lovely job and only £100 delivered next day.

alexcrosse

At the moment you need hands like Jeremy beadle!

Decomposed? Lol

• Like 2

Mad Scientist

Well then, the car behaved all day, no mechanicals or offs, no bumps or bangs. Apparently the noise on full chat is awesome, and we got a jammy third in class to boot! Only by way of retirements though! We came 17th overall.

The idea was to finish without incident and beat our seeding of 33 though, so that's mission accomplished.

Proper Tarmac tyres for the next one and more brave pills. The toyo 888 were noticeably less grippy than the x22 dunlops virtually everyone was running.

Happy chap!

:)

• Like 1

chipstick

EFA :P

As Sandy said to me when I mentioned mine being upside down - "It says GTi"

:lol:

• Like 1

brumster

Well then, the car behaved all day, no mechanicals or offs, no bumps or bangs. Apparently the noise on full chat is awesome, and we got a jammy third in class to boot! Only by way of retirements though! We came 17th overall.

The idea was to finish without incident and beat our seeding of 33 though, so that's mission accomplished.

Proper Tarmac tyres for the next one and more brave pills. The toyo 888 were noticeably less grippy than the x22 dunlops virtually everyone was running.

Happy chap!

:)

To be bring it in 3rd in class in class D is a major accomplishment, you should give yourself a big pat on the back with that - retirements or not (hey, that's rallying, and reliability/getting it to the end is all part of the parcel).

Mind you, if you're out rallying on 888's I don't think you need any brave pills :-o !!! Brave enough I think!

Mad Scientist

I concur! Sent you a pm as I need help with proper tyres and compounds. Bit of a minefield and a lot of people seem quite secret squirrel about it all!

marksorrento205

You did well mate! :) It was a bloody good day out too!

2052NV

amazing!

Sandy

Most pleased with that :)

jonathan_steenbergen

Nice!

Henry 1.9GTi

:D love it.

one of these days I will have over 200bhp!

keep up the good work

DrSarty

(Voice from the distance)

Sounds wonderful Pete; you got there in the end and it seems to be what you wanted.

Nice to see Sandy giving it the shizzle, and I must say the engine seems hugely responsive.

I suspect - power and torque not withstanding - that the responsiveness is what makes it as quick as you say it is.

• Like 1

BusEngineer

Having followed Pete around the Peak District last week, I can conclusively say its got poke!!

jorg

All ready for the weekend Pete? I'm looking forward to seeing the beast on the prom!

Geoff

Dj_mini

Out at Smetharpe?

jorg

Out at Smetharpe?

Promenade Stages Rally in New Brighton. Looking out the window I just hope he has taken some wets with him.

HERMAN

Well Done Pete sounds bloody great

Mad Scientist

Cheers guys.

Prom went well. Few minor issues.

Oil pressure pipe came off oil pump just before end of stage 1. Lost 5 litres of oil on the finish line, but cut the engine fast enough to save it. Service crew cleaned it up, reconnected hose with jubillee clips this time (push fit aeroquip hose) and all was well.

Snapped gear lever clean off changing down for a hairpin on stage 5. Compbrake lever. Navigator got underneath and shoved it in gear and we minced out in 1st.

Other than that, was a great day. Finished 36 out of 90 starters, despite the lost time, so we were chuffed. I didn't push as hard as I could by a mile, as that place has kerbs on both sides all the way round. They punish the over excited drivers badly. Saw many bent cars.

Next event 23rd November. Neil Howard Memorial at Oulton.

Edited by Mad Scientist
  • Like 1

Sandy

Well done Pete :)

• Like 1