• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie

The "whats Going On With Your 205?" Thread

james_pug

You sure you wernt still using a extended bottom mount? :)

Anthony

also found out that the tolerances on these 205's differ quite a bit. my old shell the exaust hit the bulkhead in the std postion but on this one was miles away??

There is massive tolerance differences between 205 shells, especially in the engine bay - no idea how a comparitively modern car can differ so much, but it does.

It's not immediately obvious until you move an engine from one car into another like you have, and find that what fitted fine in one with the exhaust nicely in the center of the tunnel doesn't fit in the other shell, with the exhaust touching the tunnel. In some cases it appears to amount to an inch or twos difference - a HUGE amount in build tolerance terms. It's certainly a big reason IMO why some people have a lot more difficulty fitting 16v engines in some cars compared to others - for example 1.9 Mi16 maniflow type exhausts sometimes *still* need the engine to be tilted to get them to fit properly in some cars, yet drop straight in with oodles of clearance on others :wacko:

pugpete1108

You sure you wernt still using a extended bottom mount? :)

ha ha no mate, i was using a std fork with the hole elongated to tilt the engine slightly and it was pushed right back

There is massive tolerance differences between 205 shells, especially in the engine bay - no idea how a comparitively modern car can differ so much, but it does.

It's not immediately obvious until you move an engine from one car into another like you have, and find that what fitted fine in one with the exhaust nicely in the center of the tunnel doesn't fit in the other shell, with the exhaust touching the tunnel. In some cases it appears to amount to an inch or twos difference - a HUGE amount in build tolerance terms. It's certainly a big reason IMO why some people have a lot more difficulty fitting 16v engines in some cars compared to others - for example 1.9 Mi16 maniflow type exhausts sometimes *still* need the engine to be tilted to get them to fit properly in some cars, yet drop straight in with oodles of clearance on others :wacko:

yeah i know mate, also on my old shell i had to tilt the servo to clear the cam cover but on this one its fine as it is. its all good for me though :lol:

its like all the mounts are like 10mm+ out?

pp205

Mine is a step closer to being back on the road - my cam arrived back from Petert in Australia today! Bloody customs charged me though!

Unfortunately i'm away for the weekend but I hope to have it ready for MOT by next weekend, just need to put the lifters back together after reconditioning them along with the cam and new verniers, I cannot wait!

Obey_R

Now trying to figure out why one of the fuel regulators failed on my carbs...

Baz

They're temperamental buggers!

CallumCurwood

Poorly Rallye:

205845_2256863229214_1477362332_32622670_1374729_n.jpg

Still waiting for parts to come from peugeot then the cutting and welding shall begin!

GTIJIM

mines all show and no go at the moment :(

still trying to figure out the engine problems but at least the bodyworks pretty much there :D

xl9fyd.jpg

1z6wite.jpg

2ns3nzl.jpg

2mob2nm.jpg

24zlmbt.jpg

205BigTosh

well mines has finally made it to m.o.t stage and passed. i have to seal up the inner wings and the front slam panal as i got a new one fitted over the past couple of years it sat in the garage. its been off the road for 6 years when the s16 went boom due to the oil pump breaking in 2.

ive just been busy doing things to it myself over the years ive got a house, had a kid, and gettign some spare time to it over the years.

just awaiting insurance and tax at end of month and ill maybe get a couple of months use out of it since december 05

maturin23

I'm driving mine and loving every minute :)

Got it back a few weeks ago from sending it for a refresh to JackHerer (already part mentioned earlier in the thread) after it was broken into. What started off as a new door and wiring fix ballooned slightly.

Had an excellent lunchtime drive in the countryside yesterday - despite keeping the cornering speed down due to all the four-legged road blocks trotting around it was brilliant fun.

The car's been suffering from a loose-feeling front end for a while now, as the list below shows I've made a few changes to the suspension and steering :)

Feels properly tight and grippy at the front end now the various issues have been sorted which has the bonus of making the back-end feel all mobile again. I'm not talking heroic LOOS drifting, just that feeling of rotating and tucking in on tight bends... :)

I'm also really pleased with the compliant nature of the ride - Kieran suggested OEM 309 dampers, Eibach 7001 and Group N top mounts for the front. Rear is 309 beam with OEM dampers and a 30mm drop.

I was concerned that this set-up would be a bit crashy for road use, but it just soaks up the bumps around town and gives loads of confidence barrelling down country roads with the usual humps and hollows. Stability under braking is also much better than before.

Without question I’d be quicker in the Pug than in the Caterham on the average UK B-road. It’s hard to accelerate when the rear wheels are in the air :P

The Xsara quick rack conversion is well documented, but I’ll say again it’s the best single mod I’ve done to my car, 16 valver included.

One major restriction on my fun before Kieran’s work was oil pressure that dropped significantly on right hand bends. I’m happy to he’s sorted it, but less happy to find out it was caused by low oil levels as a result of a knackered dip-stick. Now it’s rock-solid – time for a track day I think.

List of recent work - (HUGE thanks Kieran!)

Xsara quick rack PAS set-up including relocation of battery to boot and Saxo electric pump

Eibach 7001 Springs,

OE Peugeot dampers

Group N top mount rubbers with standard bearings.

New drop links

New standard upper engine mount and gearbox mount with buffers shimmed to suit.

New upper and lower steering columns

New Toyo Proxes front tyres

Damage due to spring dislocation in N/S turret repaired, primered, painted and re-undersealed

Set tracking properly

Un-seized trackrod end

New driver side door

New lockset

New glove compartment (to match lockset)

Stopped dash from squeaking

Rewired engine loom including new connnectors,

Rewired under the dash,

Rewired fan loom

Engine loom and relay box re-routed to allow jack to fit in original location.

New immobiliser

Rebuilt front seat frames,

New N/S seatbelt bar due to rust.

Rebuilt both wiper motors and axles

Realigned bonnet hinges,

Repaired battery tray,

New scuttle panel,

Fitted all bulkhead grommets properly

Removed play in accelerator pedal bracket.

Blocked off air leak on inlet mani

Fitted new dipstick

new headlight

New rear quarter red strip and clips

Natasha

My poor car is rotting in a barn in Somerset! (or it was 2 years ago!)

I said my goodbyes and signed over the V5. One day it might see the light of day again, it had such a fantastic spec but once a wiring fault develops and on the second loom replacement you have to know when enough is enough. I look forward to seeing it around one day or who knows it may even have been sold for parts already!

A sad end to such a wonderful car. (Sniff).

backroadpug

Just found out me and the wife are expecting TWINS. Like a bus try for one for nearly a year and 2 come a long,lol cant wait tho :wub:

Now Im just deciding if I want to sell my other baby.

2011-06-04132458.jpg

car003.jpg

Richie

Well after getting my 205 back from the bodyshop i'm due a couple of little jobs to sort.

1) gear linkages

2) wheel refurb

3) lion badge on the front grille and a new o/s headlight

then thats it, fingers crossed. Nothing left to do then.

damien

spent most of today fitting a clutch and refitting the gearbox, must say thats somthing i dont want to do again in a hurry. i was having problems getting the input shaft back in even with the engine out, i dont know how you lot do it with the engine still in the car.

im going to strip the rest of the engine tomorrow, remove rust/dirt/clean the engine and get it ready for painting.

sceptre

Just enjoying mine at the moment!!! :D

1004009b.jpg

Just working on sorting the front suspension and the miss-matched colouring of the new bonnet and grill is bugging me too, any tips on getting a good finish on these?

Also could definitely do with a clean, those front wheels are looking fairly asbestosy :blush:

Maybe I should upgrade the front brakes too... :ph34r:

Arahan

WOOOOO got mine back now! Well impressed :)

Turbo smokes though, the problem with fitting one untested :blush:

Baz

Just realised i hadn't updated on the blue one, doesn't look bad for an engine i threw together & shoved in in a few days! :wub:

th_3D696D08-orig.jpg

The extra chunk of torque is useful, but i really hate the way 1.9's deliver power, it's taken a bit of getting used to now that it'snot so eager to rev to 7k... :lol: But the diff is sublime!! B)

Built up a subframe for the '90 challenge car recently, just to whack back on it to get it rolling again!

Also acquired another Miami, an original '90 1.9 LE with 100k and a tidy shell, but it has no oil pressure after a recent head rebuild... :unsure:

I need t get the head off the Longman engine still, CBA...

Edited by Baz

eddie bullit

WOOOOO got mine back now! Well impressed :)

Turbo smokes though, the problem with fitting one untested :blush:

spottod yours on Tesco the other day mate looks really nice! HAve you had it resprayed? If so who did it cos I'll need work doing on mine at some point.

Cameron

Then thats it, fingers crossed. Nothing left to do then.

You're gonna regret saying that! :lol:

Paul_13

Just to the brakes out mainly as the pedal is soft and it clicks which is a bit bizzare.

Then need to sort a few little bits out with the dash board.

Give it a good clean, first time in a year! And work out a way of running it in before mot :wacko:

Jobs after that is to get the bonnet carbon fibre wrapped along with grille.

Get rid of the sunroof blanking plate for perspex and glue the trims back on :)

Arahan

spottod yours on Tesco the other day mate looks really nice! HAve you had it resprayed? If so who did it cos I'll need work doing on mine at some point.

I think it may have been yes as the paint is pretty good but not something thats been done while I've owned it! Where you on on Friday by any chance? someone phoned me to say some guys in a 205 were having a good look at my car :lol:

Jobs after that is to get the bonnet carbon fibre wrapped along with grille.

Interested in what this will look like, think it could look quite good!

eddie bullit

Wasn't me! I'd been in Tesco with the wife and walked past it going to the daily driver..

sceptre

Just to the brakes out mainly as the pedal is soft and it clicks which is a bit bizzare.

I have clicky brake pedals on two of my older 205s, not had any further problems due to it. Never really looked into the cause, give me a shout if you do though.

Also, carbon fibre grille sounds fantastic

Daviewonder

Fitted a new turbo oil return gasket and multi layered steel headgasket, still waiting for my crank to come back from the machinists.

Miles

Just need to finishing Polishing the CTi before she goes up for sale, along with a couple of ARB bush's

Just had a full engine rebuild thanks to the all to common cracked block and a engine bay mint up with all brackets/Engine Parts etc Powder Coated or re-finished