• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

[engine_work] 205 1.6Gti Gets A Few More Cc's

Anthony

Have you plugged in a laptop to actually see what it's doing and how it's been configured yet? That's the first thing to do.

dcc

making my own cable to make sure its not an ecu/wiring fault via the dta software, so will report back once thats sorted. spoken to DTA, they suggested to follow the ecu diagnostic route to start off

dcc

Finally got it started today, very happy man :) now to put it back together!

pip470

What was it in the end??

Baz

Sorry i've missed your last couple of calls Dan, been way too busy!!

Coming along nicely :)

dcc

Today the weather had been s*ite, but it cleared up around 12pm so I decided to get some small jobs done!

finished rear brake lines - for future reference, these are not easy if they are the original 22 year old lines.

fitted exhaust

did a full nut and bolt tighten and re-check

cut bonnet webbing to fit over airbox

cut slam panel to fit around airbox

did some tidying up of water pipes

mounted and fitted rad (Alot more difficult than people might think!)

fitted oil catch tank - even more of a pain than rad because of the way the rad is mounted, and lack of welding device!

noticed and cured a misfire on #3 cylinder! (on jenveys this is where the vacumn takeoff is :S forgot about that when fitting)

re routed injector loom

The problem with the rad is that its so fecking wide! had to trim the lower support bar across the engine bay to get it to fit under the bumper nicely, then had to modify the position of the lower rad to get the oil cooler to fit behind the bumper too.

went to fit my brake disks and pads but found i had been given the wrong ones! the disks are hooooooooooooooooooooog, too wide to even fit in the caliper carrier, the pads were simply too big aswell! they are for a 2.0 16v xsara though??

will need to get that sorted tuesday as they were out of stock today :|

Had a few problems in the week, it was hesitant to rev, but after realising there must have been all of 3-4litres fuel in the tank, decided to chuck in 15litres yesterday, and she fired up and revved fine, a big smile on my face :) When it was running earlier today I had it idling really nice only problem is we had a light bit of rain and i was more concerned about getting the electical extension lead +angle grinder inside, leaving engine bay open to the elements for about 5-10 minutes, and it wasnt happy with starting after that! will give it a day to dry off and ill try it tomorrow and see if its any better, can only assume this is why she doesnt fancy starting, as if she was left for 15 mins she tried to fire but after that there was limited life from her :( will have to investigate this better when its lighter (it was 8pm by this time)

dcc

So she had all dried out over the past day or so, she cranked and started first turn of the key! I hate peugeots!

dcc

So went and had a better look as shouldnt have bern an issue with the damp or drizzle. She would start again. Same issue as before. Plugs out and spark check, plugs are fubard. Cleaned up and started first turn but very unhappy to run. New plugs tomorrow should cure it, else will need to investigate further

dcc

New plugs made the world of difference in the end :)

have just about got the ecu in a place where I am inside the car. I saw a while back a GTI with the lower dash taken out, and quite liked it so have done the same.

lots and lots of fettling with the wiring still to be done but its dash is nearly ready to go backtogether

Ill post some pictures up tomorrow of the progress :)

dcc

only thing stopping this getting on the road is the front brake lines, the ones supplied by miles wouldnt fit the unions I have, been all round the local suppliers and they all use the same ones i have, so a call the miles and hes going to get some in the post to me which he uses, top bloke!

Now I have had a long think about this, and i think ill be taking everything back out, now that it is fitted all fine, i feel like pulling it all out, and routing the wiring while i wait for the bits to come from miles, Id also like to extend the lower mount another 3-5mm, as the exhaust doesnt seem to quite fit 'right', it fits, but seems it needs to have that little more room in the exhaust tunnel for me to be happy :)

I also need to take the gearbox back off, as i think the release bearing might not be sat right, seems to be an odd noise as it runs and goes when clutch is depressed

the good news is I know the little bits to be careful of and exactly where im going to be re routing a few bits, only thing i am desperate for other than the brake lines sorting is a front strut brace, not for strength but to clip some wiring out of the way :D

anyway, at the moment i have a few pictures to show where it sits at the moment

2011-06-13212140.jpg?t=1308000077

In the next photo you can see how I have the rad sat on the lower cross section, which has been cut down about 2 inches for it to clear the inlet, front bumper and oil filler cap.

2011-06-13212348.jpg?t=1308000017

this last photo can see the top thin rad hose having a little cut out for it to run behind the head lamp, had to do this because of the rad relocation and the angle of the take off.

2011-06-13212153.jpg?t=1308000051

Tomorrow ill start stripping it all back down again, but ill take a nice video of it before so the few of you who are interested can see how the 2148cc lumps rev :)

Also, over the next few months ill be looking to reshell the engine into a track shell so if the right shell pops up at the right time id be interested in hearing from you, but not for a few months yet! need to enjoy it for the summer in a road car!

If anybody needs any info on this conversion, dont bother asking me as ill just relay you to miles/anthony/Mei(Welshpug) ! :) they have been epic on scale of help for me :)

dcc

Been an eventful afternoon...

Engine out

exhaust tunnel welded

front wing welded

gearbox off and clunking identified as a kaput release bearing (the arm which clips the bearing to the clutch release arm was broken :( ordered 2 from the local motor factors)

front lower cross section removed and have some box section to replace it,to locate the radiator

changed the front brake unions, again, as the ones i had wouldnt thread into miles' lines more than 1+1/2 turns :/

ill take some photos later on to show my neighbours handy welding!

(he has some sort of fibre glass rally car hes rebuilding, runs a ford 3.0 v6 with mg running gear :o)

Masekwm

You've confused me, oil cooler, radiator... What is the other box?

welshpug

airbox :)

dcc

ive had a look at the air temp sensor too, it seems to have seen better days, so will replace that. also need an oil pressure sender :| and to work out how to get the rev counter working, and find a new speedo cable!

dcc

after muchos work she is finally on the road

everything welded, bolted up, snipped, tucked and tidied. well, almost, just the interior side to finish off now, and to try and wire up a plug for the radio :/

We took her out earlier to see what she went like on a run, was very pleased to see its drivability, not so pleased for the fuel!about £10 worth of super in 30 minutes :( Never mind...

Ill post up some of the other pictures and write up whats been done to get it in!

dcc

To start off, what a bastard of a car to drive! lol

I struggled to pull off without either wheelspin or stalling, but when it was going, what a bloody animal!

I've let a guy who I work with have a quick go, his daily drive is a 300bhp S3, he couldnt believe the way the engine pulled through all the gears.

Then, about 3 days later, some not so good news :(

We had to top her up with some water (500ml or so) after about a week of driving, then 2 days later had to top up about 2 litres.

Something was wrong :/

I inspected the obvious things first, and noticed a broken seal on the header tank cap, so replaced this, but as I had it idling infront of me, what can only be explained as concentraded bubble bath, suddenly started to spew over the filler hole of the header tank. sh*t.

It wasnt running poorly, just a bit (very) rich.

I made a choice to drop the oil and check it for traces of water. no need really, as this kinda gave away what I was about to see :

2011-07-17161736.jpg?t=1311449447

2011-07-17161729.jpg?t=1311449448

I wont bore you with the picture of the water, I mean oil, I am sure you can guess what it looked like :(

After speaking to Sandy about what he thinks might have happened, without taking the head off to see it would be hard to say for certain, but it looks like a gasket issue :(

Today saw the prep work ready to remove the head.

first issue, the bloody kent pulleys havent got any timing pin holes! so, have marked the belt in 6 places with tippex, ill get some photos to show why 6 places, but basically its the best/easiest method to ensure the belt goes back in place with the correct tension and positioning.

the second issue, how to measure the distance between the valves and the pistons, to find out the thickness required for the HG?

final issue (I hope), sourcing a Cometic 88mm headgasket! :(

Well, if anyone would like to point and laugh at me, ill be at pugfest tomorrow, in a corsa.

***Also, if anybody wants any of the following ill take it along, its all Free of Charge (donations welcome for repair fund though :( )***

near new inner wing coil

near new distributor and king lead

counter weight for be3 gearbox (off of a xsara but will fit any be3)

3x 1.6 AFM

set of 1.6 injectors

set of 1.6 hubs in Very Good Condition

single fan/rad cowling (with fan)

1.6 ecu

several ignition amps

be1 clutch pedal

omega

gutted for you

do you think its been caused by a cooling fault?

im off to pug fest tomorrow ,if i see you il say hi il spot you by your sad face!

dcc

I am hoping it is caused by airlock or due to overfueling, this means it is easy resolution :) life is never simple though!

If problem re occurrs after rebuild, then ill fit a gti6 standard engine, on the current setup and build a new, 2.1 but with 87mm bore :)

strip the old engine and find the issue, IF that happens though :)

Anthony

That's a bit **** after all the hard work that you put in :(

Slightly odd for them to go coolant to oil way though, which one assumes is what's happened if the contents of the sump resembled a jar of Hellmans mayo. Just to check that you don't have the heat exchanger still fitted do you, as they're notorious for failing and allowing oil and coolant to mix

dcc

indeed a sad end, but, pug ownership (especially 205) will never be straight forward!

it runs a mocal oil cooler (which isnt really needed, as the coolant system kept it cool enough :D ) and no water head exchanger.

The coolant was being pressurised ant, so i think it might be a bit more than just oil/water way failure :(

omega

a quick fix idea[maybe]

robs got his 306 v6 estate for sale again buy that as a good engine etc rip it out and chuck in the 205, find a cheap 306 engine stick it in the 306 then flog it and make some money back

this way as well you have lots of spares.

dcc

We did the v6 in a 205 scene once... that was fun but once ia enough :)

maxi

Really sorry to hear if your problems mate. A head gaskett isnt the end of the world but what does concern me is when the engine is reassembled that the cam timing is spot on as im guessing this is a hybrid engine (in fact im sure I know which engine this is). The cams will have to be dialled in again as tip ex just wont cut it, you have enough of a set back, dont give yourself anymore, trust me.

Secondly, was this engine mapped properly? My engine is an enormous spec, although due to being properly mapped is very easy to drive, even in traffic. I may be barking up the wrong tree but if it is unmapped by someone who knows what they are doing, I have no doubt in this is why the gaskett failed.

Im not sure if you remember my comments early on in the topic, I just hope you keep these in mind for when you put it back together. I wish you all the best of luck and hope you start shredding tarmac again soon.

Maxi

dcc

Hey Adam

Thanks for your support on this. Its off the road for now anyway, even when it is built back up, there is alot which I want to do again, and no doubt, redo in the future.

As far as I can make out, from the receipts, it has been mapped by 'X-tech' (I think without digging them out), on an engine dyno. Like you, I have my doubts over the mapping, as it runs very rich, I hope however this was not the reason for the problem, although it would be nice to have soemthing to point the blame at.

The head is being sent to a chap called Byron in South Wales, hes been about for some 45 years in the engine building business, so I hope he can do a good job with checking over the head :)

For the rebuild of the engine, I am lucky enough to be friendly with a gentleman called Muzz, from Muzz Race, who is quite a dab hand with engines in general, but worst comes to worst, ill be shipping the engine on a pallet to a competant builder.

I had quite a nice convo. with stu at pugfest, he wants to be kept in touch regarding the outcome, for reasons ill share in more detail at a later date.

The big day is going to be tomorrow, so ill be sure to update the thread with results sometime over the next few days.

Even after it has been reassemled, im tempted to send it down to have it remapped from start to finish.

maxi

Sorry about my earlier reply not making huge amounts of sense, iPhones, big fingers and predictive text isn't a good combination!

I remember when this engine was originally built and indeed, the power result conning through on the dyne via the forum. If all the same components were used as when was mapped I can't see why it would be far off. Sorry to hear of your bad luck and I will keep following the thread with interest. Remember I ran an extremely similar engine that made 216bhp and 174ibft. S16 block, mi crank, 1900 mi head and some massive catcams. I also fabricated a gti6 manifold to the early mi head, mental amounts of work. That was running Omex and was mapped by Chris Todd (as with all my engines). The result was mind blowing to drive, an absolute stonker. This engine should be putting an enormous smile on your face the same.

Have faith and stick with it, resist any temptation or influence to cut corners.

Maxi