• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

[engine_work] 205 1.6Gti Gets A Few More Cc's

dcc

The plan was to buy a 205 and restore it, as a standard car, with new bushes, suspension and a decent gearbox to sort out any handling issues that would have developed over 22 years. As with all ‘projects’ this rarely happens :/ my last project had a 1.9 mi16 with a big valve head, which only ever started once  sold it in bits to recoup some funds to finish uni, and as far as i know, the bottom end I hope is still going strong in BusEngineers car a fair few years later, SteveW now runs a gti6 on a colin/sandy tb setup, with my old shell.

A short while later I found myself itching to get back into the driving seat of a 205, even more so when Stu told me his white one was for sale, and for a brilliant price, ‘no’ wasn’t an option, and 3 days later I picked her up, a tad over 100k on the clocks, it still pulled like a train (went in a straight line) :) the only issue was the idle (1800 rpm) and the top engine mount.

Here she is when I bought her

P1010328.jpg?t=1304106421

P1010330.jpg?t=1304106422

P1010338.jpg?t=1304106423

P1010341.jpg?t=1304106672

She kangaroo'd like a bitch to begin with, Stu told me the top mount was tired and needed replacing. At this point he said he had new mounts in the boot for the car, and upon further inspection they were BBM solid ones to be included, bonus! The fact you could literally move the engine several inches with no effort made us giggle for a while, then we found out the mount wasn’t even screwed into place! lol  Also noticed the front bumper didn’t quite sit right, thinking it has had a front end bump in the past, as with most 23 year old cars!

First job was to change the top mount, very difficult when you can’t find the right sized socket! Bloody dad had ‘tidied’ the garage, anyway, half an hour later, and the engine was now firmly seated in the bay with its new mount! The car was now what I wanted, a 205 gti, with no rusty sills, although it did have a sunroof :s

this was around 14/3/11...

dcc

Then the big bright ideas started coming...

The car will eventually benefit from a fully stripped and cleaned front end, all black plastics being repaired or replaced (as they were painted black but have pretty horrific flake/peel), new coilovers, rear beam refurb – this is a maybe as its pretty good nick as is, new brake lines throughout, new fuel lines, new bushes in the 309 wishbones, a set of 1.9 gti hubs, 309 driveshafts, gti6/xsara brakes + miles’ lines, 16v engine (s16 of sorts) and a vts box – yet to be decided. The engine will be run on DTA, with some sort of bodied setup, eventually I’ll be calling down to Colin for a decent inlet and Sandy for the final map, as and when the funds clear through :S 

Working from start to finish, this will be the plan:

Dig out trees/roots/mud/grass. Fill the resulting hole with chippings and then level them off

2011-04-07175134.jpg?t=1304109006

2011-04-07190210.jpg?t=1304109069

2011-04-07190218.jpg?t=1304109116

Removal of old Engine

2011-03-31161301.jpg?t=1304108903

2011-03-31161306.jpg?t=1304108931

Position car for ‘development’

Finish for the summer! *

*Chances are around 30% of this actually happening

Edited by dcc

dcc

So as of 28/4/11, the car is sat on 4 axel stands, minus a front end, engine, box, subframe, struts, wishbones. Time consuming getting it up in the air to begin with and putting the slabs in the right place was a pain to say the least!

The bits all looks in brilliant condition and as I was removing them I was wondering why am I bothering! but everybody loves things when they are clean!

The plan for the front end bits will be - new Track rod ends on the rack, a general clean up of the front end and a complete overhaul of the suspension componants.

Was thinking about painting the subframe red, but on second thoughts red would show up grime/dirt easier, so its going to be cleaned and put back on in black.

The wishbones will be a loverly colour, red or white not sure yet - only painting them as they are off and looking a dim shade of rust/brown.

front calipers will be silver, gold or black - I dont like the calipers being red on the front with black/dark wheels.

Need to be nice to my neighbour now, he has a sand blaster in his garage :)

dcc

Earlier this week

Mei (welshpug) and myself went on a roadtrip to George's (Goliath) to help get his cti roadworthy after its MOT fail! even bigger fail was the brake lines which wernt picked up at the mot, when they disintergrated in our hands as we removed the rearbeam!

random van we saw on the way

2011-04-24140512.jpg?t=1304109122

soo anyway, we stripped a be3 gearbox of its lever, clutch arm and bushes earlier in the week from a box of goliaths, also pinched an unbent front bumper! ohh and some new rear dampers :)

Bendy front bumper :(

2011-03-31161328.jpg?t=1304108980

Then tonight there has been a fair bit of work done to her and her parts

started removing the be1 diff from my old 1.6 box, as well as the speedo housing and a gear lever which we forgot from the be3 box at georges

fully degreased the front end, with a soft dish cloth and scrubber pad, ready for a lick or 2 of paint. did a little investigation of a bit of rust on the front end, so need to attend to that before she gets her bay sprayed

prior to cleaning

P1010422.jpg?t=1304107088

P1010423.jpg?t=1304107089

P1010421.jpg?t=1304106972

You can see where she was jetwashed prior to parking her up there, just uploading the photos of the post-cleaning!

*ninja Photo edit*

I forgot to take one before i cleaned a little bit of the arch, so these are after about 5 minutes of cleaning >.<

2011-04-29170542.jpg?t=1304109146

2011-04-29170549.jpg?t=1304109146

this is what she looked liked with cleaned arch

2011-04-29173035.jpg?t=1304109242

please with that, Quite a difference :)

spent a good 2 hours doing the entire front end, also meant i could have a good look at all the notorious issue points in the front, pleased to report it looks 99% clean, just one or 2 points where she will be de-rust-ified

a little bit of time was spent looking into any wiring bodges on the front end, bloody thing has had new earths fitted and the old ones just cut, will need to see why/where the issues are before it goes back to gether!

Edited by dcc

dcc

Looking forward to sunday now though, as transport permitting, ill be collecting the new guts for the front end, only a handful of people will know whats going on in there untill everything is secured into place! once its all done, ill be able to reveal all!

A small issues ive struct is removing paint from black plastics on the car, it annoys the crap outta me, I need to get it all off, any suggestions?

Was going to have a look at heatgun, but dont want to damage the palstic

Tomorrow night *might* see the wishbones being de-bushed and painted, providing I can get hold of some paint which I like, any preference on colour?

also a little picture of the helper i've had in the evenings :)

P1010420.jpg?t=1304109751

Edited by dcc

dcc

Today was a busy day for mei and me, we set off by 615am to get to brum to collect the new bits and bobs for the car!

2011-05-01142627.jpg?t=1304289994

home by 1230, the car unpacked of all its goodies, we decided to do a little fettling on the 205 before Mei had to head off, so the old loom is now out, as is the dash :)

the bay has all been rubbed back and sprayed where there were small bits of rust showing, used 2 coats of red oxide primer then 2 white primer coats, then 2 coats of the alpine white :) Halfrauds special

2 coats of red primer and 1st coat of white primer

2011-05-01141030.jpg?t=1304289986

2011-05-01142526.jpg?t=1304289988

2011-05-01144835.jpg?t=1304289999

poorly looking wing from a dead battery!

2011-05-01141038.jpg?t=1304289986

2011-05-01144809.jpg?t=1304290462

again 2 red coats and then the first of 2 white coats

2011-05-01142519.jpg?t=1304289988

2011-05-01144823.jpg?t=1304290000

2011-05-01144817.jpg?t=1304290447

forgive the overspray - the items covered are getting replaced anyway :S

Edited by dcc

maxi

Is that a hole straight through the N/S inner wing you have painted straight over?????????

Maxi

dcc

Its getting cut out and welded at the weekend, but yes it is :(

maxi

10 out of 10 for effort but I really get the impression you are rushing this almost just to get pics up on the forum. Use your enthusiasm, SLOW DOWN and make a good job of it. If it was me id strip the whole engine bay properly, do all metal repair work then properly respray. Once you re fit all parts you have solid foundations to work from. All you have achieved by lashing some paint on at this stage is creating more work for yourself. Sorry, but its true. That area to be repaired properly will require a plate to be fabricated and welded in. Thus all paint on surrounding areas will need to be grinded off.

Maxi

dcc

Maxi i really do thank you for your input, the area has only really been painted as there was no protection there untill the plate gets welded in, which will be done by a trained welder, the project itself has been underway for sevral months, it will not be rushed in the long term, but dont get me wrong it will be on road for the summer, and the full work completed over this winter, with a cage etc... The welder told me i could paint over it if needs be but he said it will be.cut out and sorted either way. Thanks for your input though

dcc

A few bits done tonight, wiring loom stripped ready for the DTA loom, subframe back attached with steering rack to the shell, clutch pedal swapped ready for be3 box

Only bits holding the engine up now are 2 bushes for the be3 box, clutch release bearing, engine mounts and a single water pipe for the lower rad, all of which should be here this week/next

welshpug

Release bearing Sourced :)

dcc

Good to know ;) will just need miles to help me out now with front break lines :)

dcc

Good day today on the car, bloody rain though :|

Mei came round this morning and we set about finding a sensor or 2 which we needed for the gauges, sadly not supplied with the engine :(

A short while later, we had sevral sensors with many thanks to a local scrappy, we also had new fuel lines for a 106 gti filter, new end for the throttle cable as it will need to be cut to fit (£1.20 from a cycle store).

Mei cracked on with fixing up some brakes lines, which all look brilliant :) and I cracked on with the gearbox.

A simple case of swapping bits from a be3 box onto the xsara's: Diff (use the xsara crown wheel), clutch arm and shaft, 205 gear selector arm (its alot smaller/less bent than the xsara item)

Still waiting on a few items before the engine can be put in for good

Welshpug has a few pic's of his work today which he might post up later!

welshpug

Only one picture, shiny solid brake lines :D not as straight as I'd like but its all by hand with copper not Cupro nickel.

Dropped the fuel tank to sort the longest line on the car, without snapping any bolts/studs!

Just one across behind the fuel tank to make when I'm over next.

post-8656-0-69445700-1304952753_thumb.jpg

dcc

A lot of work has been done to the car over the past couple of days.

Extended the lower mount to clear exhaust tunnel, also cut away the bulk head for better clearance.

New Gear rods all in place. They have a little clip on them to stop them coming off when driving her hard

New clutch cable fitted, BE3 cable from local motorfactors £11! Bargain!

Brakes lines nearly done. getting disks and pads tomorrow. Miles' braided lines upfront are brilliant! Well worth the £35

accellerator cable modified, shortened using a cable end from a pushbike :)

removed the foglights and the plastic housing for them, allowing the oil cooler to get some direct air, also will have to trim it slightly tomorrow to let it fit better behind the bumper.

new fuel lines and 106 gti filter (Only used as I had spare but seems perfect)

Ecu (DTA S40) mounted where the 8v ecu was.

engine wiring nearly all done and in place.

A few wires left to connect in the cabin when I am confident where they go: Switched live and a live for the DTA.

need to re make the senor wiring loom, as the brown multiplug in the engine bay has seen better days :(

After a long session speakin to miles and graham I am now almost ready to say i know where the wiring needs to go!

So, weather permitting she'll be back together tomorrow!

damien

where did you get them blue HT leads from?

welshpug

came with the engine :)

miamichris

Looking forward to sunday now though, as transport permitting, ill be collecting the new guts for the front end, only a handful of people will know whats going on in there untill everything is secured into place! once its all done, ill be able to reveal all!

A small issues ive struct is removing paint from black plastics on the car, it annoys the crap outta me, I need to get it all off, any suggestions?

Was going to have a look at heatgun, but dont want to damage the palstic

Tomorrow night *might* see the wishbones being de-bushed and painted, providing I can get hold of some paint which I like, any preference on colour?

also a little picture of the helper i've had in the evenings :)

P1010420.jpg?t=1304109751

Is that a newfoundland puppy? I have two of them, one chocolate brown and one black and white. Fantastic dogs to have! :)

dcc

indeed he is :)

We had a 8 week old puppy day before yesterday! shes gorrrrrrrgeous :D

We have 4 now:) all Black ones

onto the car, some bad news, she wont start :( ecu is wired in properly, correct lives and earthed well, but no spark and no injector action :( next step will be to test the ecu, but it all came from a running car to begin with!

Miles

Have you got power to the injectors and coil, as sometimes they come off the same relay

dcc

having checked them with a multimeter, no, nothing.

Anthony

If it's a DTA ECU, have you connected up a laptop to see if the ECU is working, and what readings it is seeing from the various sensors (including whether it is seeing the engine cranking)

No spark and no injection suggests to me that either the ECU isn't working / powered or that it isn't seeing the engine turning over.

Remember, even if it came out of a working car, it might not have the same flywheel / pickup as your current engine which would result in it not reading the engine speed correctly.

dcc

slight update

injectors have power as does coil, ecu doesnt seem to earth them, the flywheel sensor works fine as tested on another vehicle.

2 things now, either ECU doesnt want to work or it isnt beign powered :(

welshpug

you needs a wiring diagram/pinout diagram for an eary S40 ECU then :)

try here;

http://dtaforum.psycode.com/

or here;

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/

meh, found it anyway :P

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Downloads_Index.htm

dunno if your ecu shares the same number of pins as the latest version, so probably best asking DTA, 0161 877 1419

Edited by welshpug