• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

[engine_work] 205 1.6Gti Gets A Few More Cc's

dcc

Right, well today everything kinda fell into shape.

head came off, nothing dramatic really to see on the gasket, but, cylinder bore #1 was washed clean, shiney shiney.

A quick call to Sandy, who I might add has been brilliant and even more helpful than anybody could imagine, and he managed to talk me through everything it could have been over the phone. luckily, we (I say we, but mainly he) are quite sure it is just gasket failure.

Sandy said that it is likely to be gasket because of the cylinder farthest away from the water supply, ie the hottest cylinder, is where the failure has happened.

So, the head has been sent away today to be pressure tested and skimmed (if needed).

I suppose the good news from all of this was that its given me something to do on my time off :|

(I have also been able to confirm the bore, which isnt quite 88mm, 87.81mm)

Ill post some pictures later when they have uploaded :)

welshpug

BWARP..... :ph34r:

dcc

well this is going to be a quick update on whats going on with the car...

I am £550 poorer, but the engine is now rebuilt and running. new sensors etc so hopefully all ok for a while!

new gasket from burton motorsport, brilliant bunch of guys who do their best to help.

Also removed the airbox, i wasnt happy with the way it is fitted, so gone back to short trumpets, will have a look at biggers ones when i fit a new filter for the itbs.

the hardest job of the lot was refitting the exhaust! what a twat. do not want to do that again in a hurry.

owe many thanks to Welshpug (Mei) who came along to fit the cams and get them dialled in for me! next step for this little project will be some crazy cams :) aparently the ones i have got in her currently are mild. well feck me what wilder ones willl be like!

I was dead chuffed monday night to say the least, especially when it started up first turn of the key!

either way we had to take it for a quick blast along my drive, it was epic. pulled so damn hard! Miss it so much already!

soon to come will be an update with lsd, cage, decent suspension and depending on funds, maybe a cheeky whiney noise...

welshpug

the aforementioned engine turned out to be Like Fatty's leg :( (TwinTown reference for those not familiar, check it out on youtube ;) )

so in went a standard gti6 engine, re-angled standard exhaust from Miles at Pugracing, a hort section of gti6 downpipe joined to the Powerflow system by a length of 2.25" 3mm thick wall steel pipe kindly welded in by Mark (woodoouk)

A set of coolant hoses from Stew at BBM, inc the adapter to fit the RS thermostat housing, did the small mod of a 3mm hole in the top of the thermostat to aid bleeding.

Standard engine management connected to the tidied and re-located brown multiplugs (wiring now enters the engine bay just under the header tank)

This morning, Dan and Myself made our way down to Cornwall with a boot of tools and some bits....

Edited by welshpug

dcc

I had been nervous since I said to Sandy early on the week before "Ill be there on the 10th" especially after finding out my MOT ran out on the 9th! (*NOTE TO ANYONE WHO IS GOING FOR MAPPING: Make sure you can get your car there before commiting yourself!) So after a few late nights and lots and lots of calls to Welshpug, Mark (WooDooUK- who by the way has the BEST Wiring guide for a gti6 loom), Anthony and of all people Huw (aka Large, SwellHead, Gender Bender and all in all general mincer), finally I had the car in a state where it was MOT ready! But behold the forgotten issue and MOT failure, broken CV boot! Not going to embarras my self with a story about what happened but sourced a loan shaft from Stu Silliars, aka HexamStu (Who by the way untill i met him 4/5 years ago i thought was female, Thanks love :)). Pleased to announce it passed with flying colours, small oil leak - we watched it for ages and it didnt leak over the pit, with engine running, Rob (mot tester) went under to check the welding etc and it dripped on his bald patch! (Hysterical to watch, prob. not as funny for Rob). It had been struggling to idle, revs were dropping and it started to 'haunt' itself to stalling, we soon found the cure - a single blip of the throttle and it was back to idling steady. Not too bothered due to the plans on thursday.

(My adapter version of WooDooUk's GTI6 wiring guide)

374889_822419474857_223608197_12323721_1448463702_n.jpg

310555_822419424957_223608197_12323720_1447280665_n.jpg

well on the way to Meirions house the f*cking standard inlet was causing me headache! the haunting was back, with a vengance. it would act as if cut out completely and lose power, then suddenly hit some life and off it goes again!

It would not cruise at all at any speed other than accellerating, which as fun as it sounds, isnt convenient for a 4 hour drive. For what ever reason though, this soon cleared itself up after 20-30minutes on the way to cwmcarn. The 4am start was now more like a 5am'er :)

If you're still reading this, then I'm sure thats bored you enough... so we get to AP Motorsport (Alvin Powell's little unit of golden treasures) with thanks to Anthony's directions "Go all the way to the bottom of the road, turn right and its the last unit on the left"... Turn the corner and all we can see is a graveyard for european cars... and a L200 of some sorts.

A few hours later Sandy arrived (not that he was late, we got there about 8 am, had to fit the bodies etc...) in his new machine :)

We soon set about fitting the bodies after perving over some sideways ford car thingy.

377393_822419360087_223608197_12323717_1462707266_n.jpg

381983_822419529747_223608197_12323723_1848714318_n.jpg

378097_822419599607_223608197_12323725_624731624_n.jpg

We had long by then got the car to a state where it was ready to begin... Or so we thought.

376006_822411590657_223608197_12323630_837774776_n.jpg

Sandy spent a good 45-60 minutes trying to balance the bodies, no matter what he did they just wern't playing ball, if anything, they were teasing him. A bit of a faff around and we narrowed the issue down to more of a collection of things really... Poorly made bodies (where the air balancing screws sit), twisted spindles (yes, this means 1 out of 4 was giving more air than the rest), old gasket debris and poorly seated butterflys. To be honest Sandy has more patience than a saint. He is without doubt the only person who was at all able to give a diagnosis on the issue AND be bothered to actually go to the length of fixing the issue, check the engine timing, the man was genuinely astonishing with the detail he went into the pinpoint the issue(s).

Eventually Sandy and Mei went for food and I stripped the bodies off, soon after they both returned and the twist in the butterfly's was quite obvious, not only that, sandy swiftly informed me that the bodies would have never given full throttle... the metal bracket they were fitted with restricted them to a position where they were about 90-95% throttle. Sandy got his hands on some plier/mole grips and was able to get the butterflys into as good position as possible, which was quick and impressive service to say the least! It didnt take long to clean and refit everything and within maybe 30-45 minutes we were ready to roll again!

295812_822411730377_223608197_12323634_1584782301_n.jpg

Sandy really would have to be the only person who not only a ) make you tea or coffee, b ) laughs at you after beeping the horn whilst your head is under the front end of the car, c ) takes the time and effort to not only find the true reasoning behind an issue which he said himself 'Would be easy to disguise' but actually resolve the problems to a point where he was happy to continue believing the issue would have minimal impact on the engines behaviour, albeit very difficult for him to map the engine on the overrun! :D big flames for a good 45 minutes throughout the mapping :) Cannot reccommend this man highly enough for your custom mapped engines.

Sandy seemed impressed with the engine, it made some good solid power low down the rev range for standard. I was glad the bloody thing was working at this point. We shortly left the unit and went for some fine tuning on the road, where I was able to impress with my 2:50 (10 to 3 hand positioning) and general all round bad driving (not fast/tw@ish - just general bad driving) for about 20 minutes until we returned to Alvin's unit.

We ended up leaving around 7 and getting to meirions by 10:30, including 2 stops for pleasantries on the way home :) Without doubt Mei will pop a short video up of it pulling off a little later.

:) Sadly no rolling road power run videos :<

Edited by dcc

Baz

Saw a few pics on FB briefly earlier, well done lads! :D

I've said it before i'm sure but, it's a shame Sandy's right down in the corner of the country, so far away! :(

Soooo... what's Sandy's new toy then? The Ford sideways thingy? Old skool Escy?? :unsure:

Edited by Baz

dcc

Its not my place to say as he might be a bit embarrased, but it isnt European or American :)

Sandy

It was a long but great day, properly entertaining in lots of ways!

My new hack is an EP3 CTR, you can see it in the back ground.

Anthony

Good results lads and glad that you managed to overcome all the hurdles - now, get out there and enjoy the induction hammer Dan! :D

Sorry to go off-topic quickly, but what happened to the Prelude Sandy? You were waxing lyrical about that when I was down just last month!

Sandy

Still one of my favourite cars ever, but I had to give in to something more practical.

maxi

What happened to the original engine?

Maxi

welshpug

Not 100% as its still in one piece, but it fills a bore with coolant, with a new gasket new bolts and pressure tested head that had the minimum skim to clean the surface.

Basically looks like 88mm is too big.

dcc

Well today I though to myself its about time the rat look gets turned more towards a clean(ish/er) 205 :)

The old stickers on the car were removed... bloody glue residue. Used some actuator and it came off quickly enough. I took some photos but the darkness made the car look s*it. nothing to do with my handy work :)

So, I have done about 10 tanks of fuel in her in the past 2 weeks, or about 1000 miles, every single minute has been the most fun...

Oh and heres my notes to people doing any conversions:

GTI6's run a higher water pressure, so any old or knackered components, like a 22 year old heater matrix, will fail/leak. mine currently does a pint a night :

Regardless of how many cool kids run a paddle clutch, they are farking USELESS on a road car... I cant pull away from lights without wheelspin or stalling half the time!

If you are doing a job, dont cut corners or settle for second best, ok fair enough some things are going to take several attempts to get finalised.

Use aero catches... Bonnet pins really look sheet.

peugeots are peugeots, luckily the 205 is a good one. Every twat in their derv/boost thingy tries to race you... Not many of them can go round corners (or roundabouts as a 320 nearly found out) like a 205 :)

get your shell ready before you think about an engine! this is the 3rd engine in my car in the past 6 months :( But I am more happy with the suspension now than I am with the engine choice.

Would like to think the cost of the build has been reasonable for the results we have had, Ill be getting a rolling road session soon on a rollers where my standard GTI frrom a few years ago made 164bhp (or there abouts) so would be nice to have that as a comparison for the results of power/torque in the build for bodies/DTA. I know the engines are 2 different lumps, but both were standard GTI6 lumps.

I will post up a link to WooDoo's wiring guide when I get it scanned in... You really cant go wrong with it, and I will post up some photos in the morning!

welshpug

standard o.e clutch fitted a few weekends ago, car now great to drive :D well worth the £50 off ebay!

dcc

Well as much as I hate to do this, I have decided it has come to the end of the line for the little beast.

The car is currently my daily driver, but its one of a fleet of 4, and I have been ordered to reduce the fleet! :<

As I am currently doing a restore onanother 205, I have decided to keep that as I prefer to have something to work on, afterall this is my hobby! :)

Within the next week there will be a forsale thread, but quite how the car will be sold I am not sure. I am thinking about putting it to a standard gti6 and then selling the bodies seperate, but I am not sure on this yet, as I might keep the bodies for a later date and fit them to the 8v project I have.

I've got a few bits which I need to do before it gets advertised, but I have to downsize the fleet (or so I have been told!)

Will Eastman

Sad sad day, that thing seemed like a beast, could hear you coming about 5mins before you arrived haha