• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stimpysaurus

Do Police Cars Have Mot Checking Equipment?

Cameron

I can't believe the reaction this is (or should I say isn't) getting!

I can only assume the OP is a friend of the forum based on the replies and that a bit of favouritism means that members aren't giving the response that they would to a lesser known member.

No you should not intentionally drive without an MOT, and I can't believe you have the cheek to ask on here whether the police would be likely to catch you and if they did, whether you could get away with it. Sorry but if you can't afford to get your car LEGAL, then you shouldn't drive it. I mean where will you draw the line, if you can't afford £40 a year for an MOT test then you surely can't afford £500+ per year for insurance, does this mean when your renewal comes that you'll sack that off too and just keep driving anyway?

If you come across a particularly irate traffic cop then he's going to take your car and have it impounded (have none of you been watching Traffic Cops / Road Wars lately?). Then you'll have storage & release fees to pay which will come to way more than the value of an MOT test.

So to summarise, NO DON'T DO IT. :lol: Just beg, borrow and scrape enough money together for your MOT or don't drive at all. Should we have a 205 Drivers' whip-round to sort this guy out? I'd rather pay a few quid towards your test fee than encourage you to try and get away without it.

Edited by Cameron

stimpysaurus

Sorry for my lack of a reply to everyones posts, I managed to stay at a friends in Newcastle whilst at college last week - she said she was happy to help so I said I would be staying for the forseeable future! hehe

I really appreciate all your contributions, I know its beyond cheeky to ask if i can break the law and get away with it but when all the people I know are telling me to just do it and not to worry I freak out a bit (im a sucker to peer pressure!) but said people have since run out of mot and are now going back on their advice <_<

I did drive it up the road to the shop earlier and nearly had a heart attack when I saw a police car! so deffinitly gonna stay off the road!

I know the car won't pass an mot on stupid minor things, like how apparently duct tape doesn't count as a secure fastening of a wing mirror! though I beg to differ because it has A LOT of tape on :lol: (if anyone has a spare saxo mirror available I'd be very greatfull)

it's also probably gonna fail on something steering/suspension related... My mams just been offered a job so I'll get it in for a test when she gets paid and see what the problems are then hopefully find some free help to fix it up.

to GLP: thanks for your advice in the past its really pushed me to sort my life out, I'm finishing college in June and will be going to uni to do a degree in Biology so hopefully in a few years I'll be back on the forum with a nice new 205 :)

Cameron

Definitely the right decision! Just be careful about taking advice off friends and / or the internet. It's easy for people to say yeah you can get away with x, y, z etc, but it's different when it's your own arse on the line. What with the po-lice clamping down hard on all these minor motoring offences it just isn't worth the risk, none of us want to see you (or any other member) end up in trouble because of our advice.