• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stimpysaurus

Do Police Cars Have Mot Checking Equipment?

stimpysaurus

my mot is up and some people say that as long as I don't crash I wont have any bother, but I've heard of people being pulled over solely because the police have known the car has no mot.

I was pulled over a few years ago and they had a machine that read your numberplate and said if you have tax and insurance but I don't think it showed mot details. Does anyone know if this has changed?

I really need my car and can't afford to get an mot at the minute :s

thanks for any input!

boombang

Think you'll find that most people will reply the same on here:

If you can't afford to MOT the car, don't f***ing drive it.

Simes

oh dear oh dear oh dear.

No MOT invalidates your insurance.

The police can have access to all the information on your car in seconds.

stimpysaurus

Think you'll find that most people will reply the same on here:

If you can't afford to MOT the car, don't f***ing drive it.

yeah kinda what I expected but I also can't afford to get the bus and I can't walk the 40 miles to college everyday either...

:/

NOsMAN

You get a bollockin for postin that on here :lol: IMO I would NOT drive it, basically your not covered in the event of an accident and may get sued :ph34r:

I can only afford the MOT but not the road Tax So I left mine to rot for the last 2 years ( I never attempted to drive mine) :lol: Gonna get it re MOT'ed again and hopefully get it back on the road soon (CTi)

omega

its not worth the risk and the car will get taken by the police.

Baz

Lack of MOT is a civil not a law/police matter.

Although as said lack of MOT can if they want to be arsey mean you may not be insured - depending on many factors.

The police will just fine you £60, because it isn't a police matter as i say, in most cases they won't take it further.

stimpysaurus

Lack of MOT is a civil not a law/police matter.

Although as said lack of MOT can if they want to be arsey mean you may not be insured - depending on many factors.

The police will just fine you £60, because it isn't a police matter as i say, in most cases they won't take it further.

cheers that's the kind of info I was after, I know I shouldn't drive it and I wouldn't if I wasn't desperate but I can't see any other way to get to the bus station.

I rarely see any cars on the backroads and I think I last passed a police car about 2 months ago...

sick to death of being poor! :(

welshpug

on yer bike :P

I've been riding to work and back since the new year after my only road legal car got bent by a bloody micra, its 20 miles each way.

Masekwm

No MOT invalidates your insurance.

Actually, it doesn't. In fact, even if your insurer writes in your T&C that the car must have an MOT then the financial ombudsmen will remind them that they can't rely upon such a clause.

Even if they then rely on the usual T&C that the car must be roadworthy, the RTA includes a clause which then restricts them from avoiding the policy for third party liability.

Lack of tax doesn't invalidate either.

lemmingzappa

I remember my brother getting given a slip from the police for having no MOT, they also said if he recieved a second 'slip' he would lose the car.

allye

My mum would never let me drive without MOT :lol:

In all seriousness think about actually what would happen, it would be more expensive to not get it.

Saying that my mum was driving around for months without as she didn't know it had run out blink.gif

stimpysaurus

on yer bike :P

I've been riding to work and back since the new year after my only road legal car got bent by a bloody micra, its 20 miles each way.

I'd best get excersising then, haven't ridden a bike since I was about 12!

and that took me 2 hours to go 6 miles :lol:

Baz

Actually, it doesn't. In fact, even if your insurer writes in your T&C that the car must have an MOT then the financial ombudsmen will remind them that they can't rely upon such a clause.

Even if they then rely on the usual T&C that the car must be roadworthy, the RTA includes a clause which then restricts them from avoiding the policy for third party liability.

Cheers for clrifying that Keith, i've always known there's something odd about it, that clears it up!

Masekwm

No problem.

Long thread here showing the insurer trying to avoid a payment.

And

FO here = roadworthy and reduced payments @ 14.

allye

I'd best get excersising then, haven't ridden a bike since I was about 12!

and that took me 2 hours to go 6 miles :lol:

You can walk that in 2hrs!

Thinking about the original question, not all Police cars have the automatic recognition stuff (ANPR!?) But all can get the information very quickly.

(jees I have watched way to many Police camera shows laugh.gif)

screwloose

This man speaks the truth. Lack of MOT does not invalidate insurance. With regards insurance the car must only be 'roadworthy' and an MOT is not a certification of road-worthiness.

tri_longer

Something new learnt every day

happygoron

Put it this way, if you had a bump without an MOT the insurance would be all over the car with a toothcomb looking for a way to get out of paying. And this "you're always covered third party" thing is only partially true. Yes the insurance company has to pay out to the third party but they are well within their rights to get the money back off you if they can.

SurGie

This man speaks the truth. Lack of MOT does not invalidate insurance. With regards insurance the car must only be 'roadworthy' and an MOT is not a certification of road-worthiness.

I agree, an MOT is basically an overall check up and anything checked has to be good enough to last the year in the MOT testers eyes, ie tires. Then again iv had my GF Mini cooper (BMW version) pass on just legal tires, but the MOT place i go knows me very well, i've been going for years now. The tires were changed 3 days after. I was quite surprised they passed tbh.

M_R_205

Iv driven around Newcastle with no mot a few times, (by accident, Just plain forgot! as the tax didnt run out for 3 more months!) And iv been ok, Not to say you will be,

Do you think your car will pass an mot?

Tom Fenton

I agree, an MOT is basically an overall check up and anything checked has to be good enough to last the year in the MOT testers eyes,

That is incorrect. The MOT certificate shows only that the vehicle met or exceeded the minimum standards needed at the time it was presented for testing.

C_W

Irrespective of the insurance bit I thought that now that MOTs are computerised/central based then the police can easily check but are also automatically flagged if you drove past an ANPR equipped police car/van?

SurGie

That is incorrect. The MOT certificate shows only that the vehicle met or exceeded the minimum standards needed at the time it was presented for testing.

So why only have it only once a year, seems pretty pointless :blink:

Thats quite dangerous, because if i had of left the tires on all year they would have definitely wore out within 5 months and she only does about 5 k a year. Im sure when some people have been told about the advisories and forget and carry on regardless. Then again i suppose thats what advisories are for though and that its down to the cars owner/driver to make sure its road worthy to drive.

Jrod

So why only have it only once a year, seems pretty pointless :blink:

Thats quite dangerous, because if i had of left the tires on all year they would have definitely wore out within 5 months and she only does about 5 k a year. Im sure when some people have been told about the advisories and forget and carry on regardless. Then again i suppose thats what advisories are for though and that its down to the cars owner/driver to make sure its road worthy to drive.

Yes the whole point is you should be maintaining the car and the MOT is just there to make sure you are.