• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stimpysaurus

Do Police Cars Have Mot Checking Equipment?

M_R_205

That is incorrect. The MOT certificate shows only that the vehicle met or exceeded the minimum standards needed at the time it was presented for testing.

For example, Even if you brake pads are practicaly on the metal, so long as they proide the required stopping force, you will pass....

Bulls*it realy! But then again, How else are you to try and keep death traps off the road?

mainline

Beware that the Police could well arrest you on suspicion of contravening S40.a of the Road Traffic Act if you drive the vehicle on a public road without an MOT. If the vehicle would not pass an MOT and could be classed as dangerous to any person (including driver, passanger, pedestrian etc), then they can bring you before the Magistrates Court for that offence. If they do, and you are convicted, its a fine, up to level 4 which I think is £5000 plus a mandatory ban if you have been convicted under S40a in the past. They can also impose a ban independently for a first offence if they think its merited. What is "dangerous" is a matter for the Court to decide, but can include things like defective steering, brakes, lights, tyres, wipers etc.

FAILING TO PRODUCE A VALID MOT CERTIFICATE IS AN OFFENCE!!! Again its under the Road Traffic Act 1988, with a fine up to level 3 which I think is £1000. The magistrates cannot give you any points though. So again in theory you could have a driving conviction and a fine. The Police may decide to give you a fixed penalty, but it is at their discretion.

The insurance situation is logical really. If I SORN my car over winter, and the MOT expires and it is subsequently stolen and written off, then I should be able to recover my loss, the insurance should not lapse simply because I have not MOT'd or taxed it! Its just to stop the insurance company wriggling out. Similarly if it is being towed to the testing station and it falls from the trailer, whilst insured, and knocks down someone's wall, then the insurance company would have to pay out.

Basically don't drive it without an MOT. Don't listen to internet lawyers. :)

JRL

This sickens me. I pay for my mot why shouldnt you?

Obey_R

I echo JRL's comments - driving isn't a right, if you can't afford to insure/tax/mot or whatever your car, then you shouldn't have it.

GLPoomobile

I am not defending the actions of anyone who blatantly and knowingly flauts the law, but I will say that this is a perfect example of how f***ed our country (countries) is.

I know from the OPs historic posts that she's not in the best financial position, and I think it's great (going by previous posts) that she's now going to college to try and better her situation. What is being discussed here should never be a consideration for any decent law abiding person, but clearly under the circumstances she's considering it because she can't see an alternative. PUblic transport costs in rural areas are ridiculously expensive, but the costs of motoring are starting to get way beyond the means of many people. As Welshpug suggested, rather than break the law, she could start cycling instead. But what if health/fitness/disability were an issue?

I don't want to go off on another tangent about society and politics, but I think we all know how ridiculous the UK situation is becoming (just to depress everyone even more, oil has just gone up [suprise surprise] becuase of this bloody Libya situation, and a new European ruling that has a bearing on insurers charging different rates for women means that all automotive insurance is likely to go up yet again as it creates uncertainty in the market. Yay).

To Stimpy - I've driven without an MOT before, and narrowly escaped getting caught. I think I've also driven uninsured before too. These are things I have done in my more immature days, and I'm not proud of it. If you know you are breaking the law then the choice is yours and you need to be aware and prepared for the consequences. Please explore other choices, as I'm sure there must be another solution (Car sharing, bicycle etc). You should think about the possibility that one day (perhaps soon) you won't be able to afford to drive at all. Then what will you do? Become another pikey who drives around in a £100 banger with no MOT, no Tax, no insurance, etc?

Edited by GLPoomobile

M_R_205

There mush be tonnes of people who rive from rothburry to Newcastle every day! im sure for a small petrol contribution or buying a couple pints they will let you jump in

Cycling probably isn't an ideal solution due to the distance and landscape, But if you want to give it a shot and need a bike i may be able to get you a cheapish/free one..

kate205gti

if you get a 7 day wonder, and you MOT the car before the 7 days are up and then produce you will usually get a caution and they'll take it no further

however i have got a mate who got the book thrown at him for having no MOT - depends how much of a **** the cop is feeling that day!

however if you are involved in an accident your insurance company can and probably will void your insurance because they use any excuse not to pay out! so say you hit a £30k merc for some reason, you'll then have all of the third party repair costs, plus an IN10 conviction for driving without insurance, your premium will then be raped for the next 6 years, and you'll probably get a hefty fine into the bargain - is it really worth it? and what if you injure or even kill someone?

if you cant afford to run the car legally, dont run the car - simples :P

TT205

An MOT is £30-£40 if you shop around, surely you can come up with this?

Or do you think the car will fail? - if so you shouldn't be driving it - end of

flipperthebushkangaroo

An MOT is £30-£40 if you shop around, surely you can come up with this?

Or do you think the car will fail? - if so you shouldn't be driving it - end of

Have to agree with this the price of an MOT is a couple of weeks fuel at most. Surely you can save that somehow? and it will give you the peace of mind that you have a safe car.

If you are sure it will pass get it tested, if you are worried it will fail you should get it sorted either way.

maturin23

Whilst I would in no way condone deliberately not MOT'ing a car, I'm ashamed to admit I managed to go 11 months without MOT on my Pug up until last October.

I was convinced I'd MOT'd it (as a very weak defense I'd blame the fact I have three cars to administer) but it wasn't until I tried to buy another 12 months tax it flagged that I had not done it.

I probably only did 1500 miles in that time, but it was sat by the side of a busy London road with hawk-eyed parking Hitlers wandering past it every hour or so.

I think it's crazy that there is no reminder system as there is for road tax.

Alastairh

For what its worth, i forgot to Mot my Nissan for 3 months early last year and covered 5k.

Whats putting you off doing it? Im sorry, but £25-30 is hardly nothing these days for running a car, unless you know it needs something badly repairing, which proves you shouldn't be driving it anyway.

Sort it out before you get yourself in more s*it. Im sure a family/freind can lend you a little bit of cash to keep legal for a month or so.

Daviewonder

An MOT is only about £40. I'll Paypal you a gift of £1 then all you need is for another 39 forum members to do the same :)

MrG

I agree with the above, but regardless, if you can't afford the mot then don't drive the car. I'd use a bike like welshpug does (as do many others). 40 miles each way must equate to around £20 a day in fuel, so surely the bus is cheaper? I appreciate the situation however I just think of if something should fail and an accident happens where someone is seriously injured then even if it wasn't your fault, lack of Mot etc would just add to the problem.

Is it taxed/insured?

Edited by MrG

Wes

why dont you have a couple days off sick and with the money you would of saved on fuel you will be able to afford an mot! if you can't afford to drive then don't. when i was at college i had to ride 12 miles each way on my bike as i couldn't afford a car til i was 18.

Peetypug

im shocked!

no in fact im bloody gobsmacked!

reading the title of this i expected a barrage of abuse aimed at you, but nobody has!

anyway, as with a few others i drove my car without mot for a few months, i couldnt find the certificate and was convinced it was due in october. it was due in may!

i dont know how the law stands with it as it seems people read the same things differently

but could you live with yourself if you killed/maimed somebody knowing your mot had expired?

i will also donate £1 to you towards your mot, depending on what it fails on i may send you bits to repair it

i know how it feels to try to better yourself and be skint while doing it (im in that situation now) please try to sort another means of transport

badly injuring somebody while your in control of a car is not something i would wish on anybody :(

Anulfo

If the original question was can the police tell with their various pieces of equipment whether your motor has ticket or not then the answer is yes they can!!!!

Im siding with the folks who are saying that if you cannot afford the £40 or so that an m.o.t costs then you have no business being anywhere near the road.

Anulfo

I agree, an MOT is basically an overall check up and anything checked has to be good enough to last the year in the MOT testers eyes, ie tires. Then again iv had my GF Mini cooper (BMW version) pass on just legal tires, but the MOT place i go knows me very well, i've been going for years now. The tires were changed 3 days after. I was quite surprised they passed tbh.

This is a complete load of pony surely!!!!!!An m.o.t is carried out in respect of the condition of the vehicle on that given day and however you let your vehicle fall into disrepair for the remainder of the year is your lookout and potentially points/fines on your licence!!!!

SurGie

Yes it is, carry on reading thew thread as i was corrected about the mot law and systems.

omega

For example, Even if you brake pads are practicaly on the metal, so long as they proide the required stopping force, you will pass....

i think that example is wrong as im 90 per cent sure my mates car failed the mot on low brake pads.

SurGie

Tires are just as important as brakes but mine passed.

Peetypug

It will pass with pads/tyres nearly on the limit

That's why they give advisories!

TT205

im shocked!

no in fact im bloody gobsmacked!

reading the title of this i expected a barrage of abuse aimed at you, but nobody has!

Possibly I'm guilty of sexism then

If this was a bloke I'd have given both barrels, as it's a lady I was more circumspect, doesn't change how I feel though - you NEED the MOT and should be able to pay for it - I'm also willing to donate a pound however, if you think the car will fail then it is more than careless, it is disgraceful that you are willing to drive it

C_W

I think there's a difference between forgetting to get it done (as there's no reminder like insurance and tax - strange especially now it's all computerised) and wittingly not getting it done.

I've forgotten several times in recent years. Once my girlfriends clio went about 3 months as we just genuinely forgot but it was done the next day. I also forgot about my BMW's too a few years ago, and realised the day before I was going on a Ring trip; managed to get it done first thing before I set off though! Lucky to have a very friendly local garage though!!

Bonez

put it this way if you hit me and you had no mot you would pay not just with money........

people who take "the risk" and crash is what pushes up EVERYONES insurance!

simple advice dont drive it, get your push bike out ;)

GLPoomobile

Whilst I would in no way condone deliberately not MOT'ing a car, I'm ashamed to admit I managed to go 11 months without MOT on my Pug up until last October.

Was that a seperate incident, or the same one, as when RPM MOT'd it and forgot to put it through the system?