• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

Cameron

Well for now it won't be collapsible, certainly no point in doing it until the regs stipulate it.. that's how competition cars get built too heavy.

Mad Scientist

A slightly offset lower column would do the trick.

Compromising safety for the sake of a few grams is not wise. Just have a poo before you compete? My navi calls them fast poos!

• Like 1

Cameron

My reasons for not thinking it warrants a collapsible column will become apparent when you see the finished item; bear in mind the upper UJ is very close to the bearing housing.

the matt

Sorry I started this whole column convo off Cam. I am not good at internets. :lol:

mike174

Ask him about circlips on his wishbones next Matt...

• Like 1

Rippthrough

. that's how competition cars get built too heavy.

Yep, but I prefer an extra 200 grams to a few kilos of wooden casket...;)

Cameron

All things considered I don't want the extra weight (substantially more than 200g) of a collapsible column, or want to go through the hassle of designing & testing (because let's face it, if you're not going to test it you may as well not bother) a reliable system. So let's just move on, shall we? :lol:

Don't even think about mentioning circlips, Mike, or I'll dig up your video on YouTube. :P

• Like 1

mike174

I was testing the durability of the car ;) lol the video doesn't take much digging... Sent the bump stops yet?

Rams_gti6

Can't wait to see the finished article! When you hoping to be finished?

Cameron

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell.. I still have to finish the rolling chassis, then sort out the engine & ancillaries, fuel system, electrics, and bodywork. Hopefully by the end of next year, but we'll see how that goes. :lol:

Cameron

Well.. excellent service by Igus, shame the bearings are the wrong size! :lol:

I ordered 19.05mm (3/4") bearings, but the hole is 19.7mm so it's like a cock in a bucket. I reckon I'll just save a bit of hassle and go for 2 sphericals as I know that will work. It's a shame not to try something new, but I'd rather just know it'll be reliable.

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

same thing happened to me recently when I got somebody to turn something up on a lathe for me, I gave them precise measurements, then when I received them, they didnt fit. "oh I did them oversized to make them fit easier for you." he says. well congratulations, they're useless now!

the matt

I used to buy them off the bearing boys site and never had that kind of issue.

Sphericals ftw though man.

mike174

If you go sphericals will you use circlips this time though? Lmao

Cameron

Hurr. No I'll just use a fit that doesn't require them. ;)

mike174

Do you just not have a pair of circlip pliers or something?

Cameron

No and I'm not buying any, either.

mike174

Haha knew there must be a reason for your hate of circlips

• Like 1

EdCherry

You'll be glad to know the dampers don't come with circlips either Cameron...

They come with spiral rings so no tools required if you have long fingernails!

Cameron

Nice. :D Stupid circlips.. think they're so clever.

I'll be calling up soon, Ed.. just need to get all my parts in order as I've got quite a few orders outstanding!

Rippthrough

Snap rings ftw.

Cameron

Designing components so the bearings don't fall out FTW. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Weser

Thats a shame. We order loads at work and never get a problem. I do use metric though.

remember they are not like a sphereical they are designed to compress a bit when pressing into the housing (closing up the hole). With your skills could you knock up a housing quick and test?

Edited by Weser

Rippthrough

Designing components so the bearings don't fall out FTW. :ph34r:

Letting the snapring deal with shock loads and using a smaller, light component FTW :ph34r:

Cameron

What shock loads is a wishbone going to have to pull the spherical out the bottom of the housing? Think about how a wishbone with pushrod mount will be loaded. The only time there will be a load is from the inertia of the unsprung mass in an extreme top-out, but the fits I'm using are as recommended by the bearing manufacturer for moderate axial loading so that will not be a problem.

I can see the relevance of a circlip in a wheel bearing housing - like on a 205 - where the loads are in both directions, but it just isn't necessary for this particular use.

So unless someone comes up with a very good reason why I should use them, and not just because they've seen them in some other application completely irrelevant to this one, let's just all put this issue to bed.