• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

davenport

what sort of profile are you trying to bend??? what material??

we have a 3meter press brake at work but limited tooling means some returns/bends aren`t possible....

Cameron

Basically trying to make 50mm x 50mm box with one side missing, so a C-channel basically. Just plain old 16 gauge or 1.5mm mild steel.

If you could make me a couple for less than £60 each then the business is yours! :D

Rippthrough

Buy a length of 2" box, cut one side off.

http://www.metals4u....=49&prd_id=2389

Sorted.

edit: Damn, I should have just said I can do them for £59.99 and cut them myself, :lol:

Edited by Rippthrough
  • Like 1

Cameron

Someone hasn't been reading the thread! :lol:

That's exactly what I'd done and it warped like a banana! :P

wicked

Maybe cool it, when you cut it. When you cut 1.7m at once, you add a lot of heat...

Cameron

Yeah I think it's that combined with residual stresses from when it's rolled. I can't afford to risk cutting another two parts and having them warp, it would be cheaper for me to fork out for the folded parts than get another 6m length of tube posted.

Rippthrough

Take the surface skin off all the sides first with a flap disc in a soft pad....might work if you try that with the bits you've done tbh.

davenport

yup, it`ll warp like a **** if its slit along its length....

this 50x50x50 channel you need, is that external measurents??

if so i should be able to get 2 bits done by tomorrow night... as for collection, well i`ll be over @ kimbolton (TDF) at the weekend i dare so so can meet you there or @ brampton services on the A1/A14 junction...

Cameron

I've attached a drawing. :D

Edited by Cameron

Leet205

your full name and number is in there...better watch you dont get signed up to cat facts :P

davenport

hahahahaha what a massively ott drawing,.... you could have just said external measurements....

leave it with me i`ll see what i can do tomorrow evening....

Cameron

Cat facts? Tell me more! :lol:

I already had the drawing btw.. had to make it for the places to quote me. :P

davenport

lol, no worries... i checked next door to where i work and they have some 1.5mm mild steel lurking behind the guillotine...

• Like 1

Cameron

Win winnity win. I took the attachment down to avoid receiving cat facts, let me know if you need it and I'll email it to you.

Rippthrough

lol, no worries... i checked next door to where i work and they have some 1.5mm mild steel lurking behind the guillotine...

They don't now! :D

I just checked and my folder isn't quite long enough, would have to make them in 4 pieces.

Cameron

Yeah that's what I'd have to do too, except I don't have a folder at all so they'd have to be beaten over the edge of my workbench.. not ideal. :lol:

davenport

channels done xx

Cameron

Nice one! :D

I'm down visiting my brother today, will give you a call tomorrow to sort out picking them up.

davenport

Not a problem... i may have a favour i need in return!! Haha

Cameron

3 words that may please Mr Ripthrough: Rear Wheel Drive.

1 word that probably won't please anyone: Duratec.

1 word that definitely will: Sequential.

• Like 1

Lan

3 words that may please Mr Ripthrough: Rear Wheel Drive.

1 word that probably won't please anyone: Duratec.

1 word that definitely will: Sequential.

very nice liking the sequential idea, on the duratec why make it harder for yourself trying to adapt a peugeot lump when rwd boxes for duratecs are readily available

Cameron

Exactly the point! Glad someone gets it. :D

RWD gearboxes for Duratecs are commonplace because of the Caterham scene, and if I can't afford sequential there'll still be plenty of good alternatives.

GeorgeXS

Good news Cameron, what made you change your mind?

Cameron

Well, it's been bugging me for a while that I'll struggle to mount a FWD engine and gearbox in a way that I'm happy with.. it would either be sitting too high and too far forwards for my liking, or punish driveshafts by running big angles. Also being realistic about the class I want to race in (Sports Libre) no matter how good a FWD car I manage to create it will always be at a disadvantage to the other big builds running rear or 4WD, and I definitely want it to be competitive amongst the big boys.

The original idea of mid engine RWD is nice, but a bike engine is either expensive or underpowered (or both) and a car engine takes up too much of the room I'd want to sit in. So front engine RWD is kinda the sensible option, with a dry sump I can have it as low as I want and there's a good choice of gearboxes for Duratec engines. I'd have to get shafts made up for the FWD layout due to my custom suspension, so there's no extra cost really, just a propshaft. The weight distribution will be way easier to manage, too.. basically all signs point to RWD. :lol:

allye

You'll be competing in sports libre? :blink: