• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Quick Rack,

SurGie
Great stuff guys, im certain one of us can get some made from somewhere :wacko:

Only one Tom ??

One more thing, will those rose jointed TRE make any real difference in the steering feel, are they worth getting while im getting a quick rack, of which im not sure yet where to get one from ?

Hi,

I need to know what type of bearing thats needed, is it roller, ball etc etc ??

Cheers..

SurGie

I have now decided to buy the Shenpar quick rack which does come in the flat and splined type, at £125 before VAT and postage is a good price without having to swap the lower column or mess about taking the rack apart.

All i need to know now is will it be worth buying the rose jointed TRE or are the standard ones enough ?

Dariooo

I had read somethnig abotu xsara vts rack. It has got a 2.6 turn and if had I understant it's possible to install it on 205 without any modification. It's true? This is mean for a rack without power sterring? And another xsara (non vts) has the same 2.6 turn?

Thank you

SurGie

I think the best thing to do is either more research or start a new thread. I know that using the power assisted steering rack from a Xsara can fail a mot, but it does depend on the person doing the mot. I don't know what its like in your country for mot's though ??

Alan_M
I have now decided to buy the Shenpar quick rack which does come in the flat and splined type, at £125 before VAT and postage is a good price without having to swap the lower column or mess about taking the rack apart.

All i need to know now is will it be worth buying the rose jointed TRE or are the standard ones enough ?

Is that a proper quickrack, as some sell the de-PAS'd rack as a quickrack.

JRL

I have got a xsara vts quick rack without power steering. Its alot heavier but makes the car feel more responsive and I like that. when I researched about it I read they are 2.4 turns lock to lock. Like all mods they have their good and bad points I found on a road car it makes the B roads even more pleasurable but on a small race track its a little bit slower and cant turn the wheel as quick.

pug_ham
I know that using the power assisted steering rack from a Xsara can fail a mot, but it does depend on the person doing the mot.

Its more due to how well you remove the PAS bits from the rack to cover the fact they were there to begin with.

To the untrained eye (ie 95% of MOT testers in the UK) without studying the rack in detail a properly modded PAS rack looks no different to a standard non-PAS rack once the ram etc is removed imo.

Graham.

SurGie
Is that a proper quickrack, as some sell the de-PAS'd rack as a quickrack.

I dont know myself but i have e-mailed them a few questions about the inner rack its self and their rack is 2.7 turns lock to lock just like the Quaife one, i should get a reply early next week.

Im still weighing up the pro's and cons on this one compared to having the cheaper xsara type, the thing is i need something that i can just easily bolt up without having to modifying it, i have only done a small amount of research about using the xsara type. The price of theirs ant that much more expensive than buying a second hand xsara type but that does depend if the bearing is new etc. Having the 2.7 turn type might be easier on the steering compared to the xsara 2.4 or 2.6 type. When i know more i will keep you posted.

Cheers.

welshpug

it probably is a quaife pinion+rack inside it.

SurGie

Just thought i'd let everyone know i now have now got the flat drive quick rack two days ago, sorted out by Nick from Shenpar.

He has managed to push the new bearing from the recon rack and then used it with the quick rack and all went in fine, all i have to do now is paint it a silver colour because its painted one coat black which has chipped/scrapped a little.

Do these recon racks usually only have a thin coat of paint or is it some special rust proof stuff, i dought it tbh.

Can anyone recommend me a good silver paint to help prevent it rusting, i dought i can get it powder coated because of the rubbers etc.

Stevo309, did you manage to sort yours out yet mate ?

Cheers guys for all the advice on this :ph34r:

EDIT- sp..

Edited by SurGie

tomcolinjones

give it a few coats with red oxide primer first :ph34r: then use what you like.

SurGie

OK thanks, i will do and ill use the same silver paint for the servo as well.

Oh and would it be best to remove the black paint first or shall i just paint over it ?

Edited by SurGie

welshpug

Rust proof paint on an alloy casting eh? :ph34r:

tomcolinjones
Rust proof paint on an alloy casting eh? :ph34r:

fair point, just answered the question, should have had a little think about it!

SurGie

I did not know it was alloy.

But why has my old rack ends gone rusty then, are they steel ?

Edited by SurGie

joe1joe

Yes they are steel, usualy with the cheapist plating! if ur fancy put some etch primer then top coat, or just put another coat on top of the paint which is already on there

tomcolinjones

so its not alloy then.... people can be confusing on here!

welshpug

The body of the rack is alloy, the rest isn't.

joe1joe

Only the housing is alloy as welshpug said, the rest is steel, which is why its best to use an etch primer on the alloy

SurGie

I've got a bit of an update after buying a new flat drive lower column today. The flat drive is the only one they supply now so if people have the splined type rack that means getting a new lower column for that type wont happen when buying from the dealer, however other cheap suppliers might be able to.

So after all the time spent sorting out which type to get etc, i have made the right choice in getting the flat drive type of rack even if it means the bearing is a pig to get hold of.

harryskid

This rack dos not seem to be that quick, the length of time its taken. :lol:

SurGie
:lol: well its quick now its sorted, i just got to finish the recon etc then i can fit it and try it out.

harryskid

You will need strong arms then as i found out with mine, well worth it though! :lol: