• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Quick Rack,

Dariooo

Yes, a diameter ob 19 it's very strange.

I have wrote on quaife for a stering rack for LHD and they told that a LHD it's not aviable. I don't get where it's the diference. I isn't simetric?

Stevo309 can you take some picture of a rack and a pinion? I'm so angry because they not produce a quick rack for LHD....I will move in UK <_<

Stevo309

Ok, here's a photo of the Quaife parts:

post-16613-1291803301_thumb.jpg

Dariooo

I don't get why I can install on LHD??...I turn it around and they it have to work....Did you know some problem? It's possible? What you think?

Thank you

SurGie
Ok, here's a photo of the Quaife parts:

post-16613-1291803301_thumb.jpg

That looks like its the splined type ?

Stevo309
I don't get why I can install on LHD??...I turn it around and they it have to work....Did you know some problem? It's possible? What you think?

Thank you

It won't work. If the LHD rack is a mirror image or the RHD rack then when you flip the rack the teeth will go diagonally the other way. The pinion will be still coming downwards and now the teeth are completely the wrong direction to mesh. If the teech on the rack and pinion were vertical then yes it would work but they're nearly 45 degrees.

That looks like its the splined type ?

I can't see any splines? If you look at the top of the pinion you can see the flat points, making it the square type.

SurGie

Right i see what you mean, im getting confused about the pinion 'cogs' being the flat square type like the pic in the link i posted up, not the curved cog links like your photo.

How come the Demon Tweeks bearing dont work, or am i missing something again ??

Shall we all just complain to them so they do supply the correct bearing ??

Dariooo
It won't work. If the LHD rack is a mirror image or the RHD rack then when you flip the rack the teeth will go diagonally the other way. The pinion will be still coming downwards and now the teeth are completely the wrong direction to mesh. If the teech on the rack and pinion were vertical then yes it would work but they're nearly 45 degrees.

I can't see any splines? If you look at the top of the pinion you can see the flat points, making it the square type.

hmm....you rotate a rack for 180 degreese (if you look in direction of teeth)......so the angle of teeth on a rack stay at the same angle than before.....or not?

If everything it same (symetric) then it can work....

Tom Fenton

Gents, am I missing something, can you not buy the bearing direct from Quaife??

Stevo309
hmm....you rotate a rack for 180 degreese (if you look in direction of teeth)......so the angle of teeth on a rack stay at the same angle than before.....or not?

If everything it same (symetric) then it can work....

No, as i say if you rotate it through 180 degrees as it would be for your rack as the pinion is at the other end the teeth on the rack would then be sloping the wrong way on your rack. As the pinion is still going through the top of the rack casing and facing downward still it won't mesh at all. The only thing you can reverse is the rack itself so the teeth no longer work as it's not straight cut.

Gents, am I missing something, can you not buy the bearing direct from Quaife??

Apparently not Tom although i have emailed them today to ask that very question. I hope so as it seems odd for them to manufacture an upgrade kit that uses different size pinion than standard.

Surgie, i think you are a little confused. On your photo all you can see the top part of the pinion that sticks out from the rack casing. This is the only bit that differs, one is splined and the other is flat. Both mine and yours are flat (square). It's just in my photo you can see the actual pinion teeth and the rack itself.

SurGie

Right ive just made time to call them and the said they can only sell the Quaife rack alone, Quaife dont supply the bearing which is pretty pointless knowing what Pug are like and that i would have to get the bearing from Pug. I explained the situation about getting hold of these and he put me on hold for a while and still said the same thing, they only sell what they have.

He did suggest contacting Skip Browns to see if they could make them or try a good bearing shop ???

I cant take my rack apart my self because of the tools i dont have to do it, so i would need a spare one so i can get it matched up and as i have some spare time from next week till the new year i can sort it out.

Edited by SurGie

Stevo309

I haven't taken the existing rack apart yet so i'm not if the standard pinion and bearing are the same size. If they are then i wonder if there's any way to remove that bearing from the existing bearing.

I know people say this isn't possible but my rack is brand new from GSF and i presume has a new bearing installed. Assuming that i don't need the current pinion i wonder if there's a way to machine it down so it can be removed from the bearing.

swordfish210

I tried every avenue to get a bearing to fit the Quaife pinion, Peugeot bearings are pressed on to the pinion from the factory so you cannot buy them seperatly and i tried three bearing shops and they all said the same thing that there is no bearing made in that particular size.

SurGie

Quaife are useless then, selling something that cant really be easily used if at all by the looks of things.

I will try Leicester bearings tomorrow giving them the above bearing size numbers, they advertise on the radio saying they can do anything you need sort of thing, well soon see about that one.

Also, do Pug sell the splined bearing or is that also not available separately ?

Edited by SurGie

Baz

Sounds like a waste of time to me.

I'd be more inclined to contact some like WMMS if they still exist, Shenpar or ABMotorsport for a proper Quikrack ready to fit...

SurGie

MMM thanks Baz, very interesting.

I tried ABmotorsport but i could not find it in their shop but when i tried Shenpar i found THIS, this seems a good bargain having the whole rack. It dont say whether its splined or flat so i think i'll ring them tomorrow and find out.

Will the quick rack be more difficult to turn compared to the usual 3.2 turn rack non PAS ?

sam jfm

Imo someone, somewhere will have that bearing, quaife must have tested it with something?

Baz
Will the quick rack be more difficult to turn compared to the usual 3.2 turn rack non PAS ?

Yes, of course!

And a non-Pas rack is more like 3.9 turns lock to lock.

Edited by Baz

oli-pug

Have any of you tried Timken Bearings?

SurGie
Yes, of course!

And a non-Pas rack is more like 3.9 turns lock to lock.

I thought so, good job i got strong arms then :lol:.

So how high does one turn go to then, 0.9 then to 10 as one turn ?

Its just my steering went from very far left then 3 turns and about 2 pm to the right. My car was bought with an MI16 which i sold and did not have power steering with it, so is there a way of knowing if it was originally PAS car ?

For the price of the whole rack from Shenpar its not worth looking for a bearing tbh.

Stevo309
MMM thanks Baz, very interesting.

I tried ABmotorsport but i could not find it in their shop but when i tried Shenpar i found THIS, this seems a good bargain having the whole rack. It dont say whether its splined or flat so i think i'll ring them tomorrow and find out.

If you zoom the image it looks like a splined pinion to me. They might do a square type though.

I'll keep looking for the bearing, it must be possible to get one somewhere.

welshpug

Shenpar must get a bearing or mod the pinion some how ? unless there's someone other than Quaife they get their bits from.

Tom Fenton

I've got my bearing man I use at work on the case, I'll let you know if he can get one.

Stevo309
I've got my bearing man I use at work on the case, I'll let you know if he can get one.

Awesome, thanks Tom

SurGie

Great stuff guys, im certain one of us can get some made from somewhere <_<

Only one Tom ??

One more thing, will those rose jointed TRE make any real difference in the steering feel, are they worth getting while im getting a quick rack, of which im not sure yet where to get one from ?

Edited by SurGie