• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

My 205 Xs To Vts Conversion

tomcolinjones
Looks like your going to be busy with the rear bits eh mate!

Just read through your whole project, it's going to be a beast!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers mate, i need to keep the enthusiasm (sp?) up. have most of the parts now. cant wait to get the shell itself done, then it can be got back together 'properly' with lots of time and effort.

This forum has been a massive help to me so far, and i hope you will in the future. :ph34r:

shalmaneser
xsara PAS resevoir would fit neatly...

No it doesn't the bloody outlet pipe on the pump faces the wrong way. This is pissing me off in my build ATM. Will be interesting to know how you've solved the problem.

See here -

56newcar009.jpg

It points towards the front, which is annoying as the slam panel is in the way (it is VERY close to the inlet manifold). Not enought space to look the hose round.

I may end up using the 'standard' pump reservoir, and running the fluid return hose on top of the inlet manifold. Will look bollocks though, not happy.

tomcolinjones

had to go pick up my 309 beam this morning from the depot.

left the house around 9, put 10 quid of juce in the leon,(reserve light was on) got 5 miles down the road and conked out dead. turned over all fine just wouldnt fire.

looked at my reciept..... 'unleaded' ffs!

anyhow, got towed home by my uncle, and piked up the beam with him.

12022011862.jpg

i put my facet red top to good use when i got back! now i have 13/14L of de-greacer / cleaner.... no point waisting contaminated fuel!

tomcolinjones

Result.... Got the engine out today, and managed to get the xsara out of the new garage and get the 205 in. strip down and arch cutting tomorow.

12022011867.jpg

12022011866.jpg

12022011868.jpg

I also started cleaning the beam parts up, ready for painting and re-assembaly when rebuild kit arrives.

12022011865.jpg

Edited by tomcolinjones

allye

That engine needs a good clean! You'v had a very productive day, I'v done nothing on the car :lol:

tomcolinjones
That engine needs a good clean! You'v had a very productive day, I'v done nothing on the car :lol:

it does need a good clean, any suggestions? i shall get the block on the bench when the head is off and sent away. give it a good wire brushing and a paint. same with the gearbox(s)

i think i have got a good 2 months of prep and painting and rebuilding the car now until i can actualy drop the engine in! sucks being at home for 4/5 days a month!

M_R_205

Im glad the beam arrived OK B)

You have inspired me to get my XS up and running again, spent all day spraying wheel arch trims and stealing a DGAV carb from a scrappy, any advice on fitting it would be cool :rolleyes:

Also check out my project, did a similar thing a couple years ago, Dropped an mi16 into and XS abut have just taken it back out.. :(

tomcolinjones
Im glad the beam arrived OK B)

You have inspired me to get my XS up and running again, spent all day spraying wheel arch trims and stealing a DGAV carb from a scrappy, any advice on fitting it would be cool :rolleyes:

Also check out my project, did a similar thing a couple years ago, Dropped an mi16 into and XS abut have just taken it back out.. :(

with regards to the dvg/dgav carb, you need to drill out the mounting holes so it fits over the studs on the tu3s manifold.

iirc i used a capri man/carb gasket. and i used the quater round linkage off the solex and mounted it to the weber, it worked quite well.

you need a slightly larger i.d hose to run from the pump to the carb, i used gas piping!

if the carb was on a 1.6 it should tune up ok, no need for jets to be changed.

i mounted the carb the same way around as the solex in regards to the larger and smaller chokes in the same place.

hope this helts. will have a gander at your thread now.

cheers for the beam, spot on what i was after.

regards.

Tom

tomcolinjones

Got the interior striped out today, removed the sunroof, and got rid of the cracked screen.

(i need a new one if any 1 has one!

13022011873.jpg

13022011874.jpg

13022011876.jpg

13022011869.jpg

Its suprising how heavy all this stuff is!

13022011880.jpg

tomcolinjones

Not much progress to be honest.

the beam tube and torsion bars are painted up nicely, just need to get the beam off the citroen split and put the arms on.(if in good condition) there is no play t the moment so im hoping its okay.

I want to strip out the dash and loom and fit a gti loom, and clocks so i can have the oil pressure gauge and fuel pump wiring all there. also my xs 'lighting' loom is in a bit of a mess with bodged up joins and bullet connectors all over the place so i intend to fit a gti loom here also. (will make it easyer to paint with the looms striped out aswell)

will be using a gti6 loom for the engine. with a mix of gti wiring for the clocks, starter / altinator e.t.c

drop the subframe for spraying and fit the vts rack. along with a square drive column. and fit the 309/vts beam. rebuild the bilsteins with new top mounts and tarmac springs and im going to fit the gravel springs to the vts shocks so i have a bit of choice dependant on what im going to be doing.

i was also contemplating fitting 266mm discs and calipers but due to the lack of (and the price of) uprated discs and pads... im going to stick with the 1.9 setup all round with some ferodo ds 2500/3000's in the front.

custom seat mounts to be welded in and cage to floor mounts re-enforced for safety.

basicaly once the welding is done, and it is painted,it will go back together quite quickly. its so frustrating not being around enough to get on with it :angry:

19 days off over easter :rolleyes: should see it getting somewhere near. i hope so anyway.

cheers.

Tom

Edited by tomcolinjones