• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

My 205 Xs To Vts Conversion

tomcolinjones

heres a pic showing the ground clearence. its way higher than the sump, and the valance. am a little woried about the oil temp sensor being a bit close to the bracket. will see if it touches when i get it running.

tomcolinjones

And there is a fair amount of room above the rad for an oil cooler, please excuse the scrap bumper and valance, its a measuring aid!

tomcolinjones

with no bumpers, i am half way thru fabricating a top mount for the rad.

parts that arrived wher, poly top rubbers, HT suspension pinch bolts, and a set of group N linkages

tomcolinjones

few more parts arived this afternoon.... including the yellow paint. a nice shade. its not quite rallye yellow. but what i wanted.

few more parts arived this afternoon.... including the yellow paint. a nice shade. its not quite rallye yellow. but what i wanted.

large

It will be a bit of a pig if you have to change the starter motor.

tomcolinjones
It will be a bit of a pig if you have to change the starter motor.

i think it will be ok, there seems plenty of room to work, and if so the rad will just slide out the top.

oil cooler is now fitted, still need to figure out how im going to mount the topof the rad, its either use the bumper bars, or make a mount off the inside of the headlamp pillar thingy.

tomcolinjones

fitted new parada spec 2's, painted wings, fitted air filter.

tomcolinjones

Green filters air filter, 'off a cooper s' or something, loom in tomorrow.

tomcolinjones

Right, I have just got myself a Xsara VTS 2002. i know this engine runs, as i drove it home.. and it goes like #$%#,

whereas the s16/mi16 i have half put in the XS may not.. and becasue i have a complete car with everything on. i am going to fit the gti6 engine in the xs, on standard management.

I realy want to use the xu7 bottom end on the gti6 gead, to keep weight down more than anything. and i would be changing the h/g when the gti6 lump comes out anyway, so its not like its loads more work. seems worthwhile to me.

I will also be making up some gearbox's with the 4.43 fds i have here, and will need some be3 bell housings +/ 1.9/1.6 be3 box's so if you are selling please let me know and ill probarbly have it of you.

Engine is coming out of the xsara this weekend, interior and various parts will be available if required. just not the obvious, as they are for ME!

thanks

Tom

tomcolinjones

Pics of the VTS

What is this alloy wheel off? i have 3, as the previous owner buckled one and threw it away, i would like another one to make a set up, or a set to make up 7! think they would look good in white. any ideas?

seems a bit of a shame to dismantle a 2002 car, but needs must!

Anthony

Remember that the loom and ECU from a Phase 2 (2001 on) Xsara VTS is no good for use in a 205 as it's multiplexed.

tomcolinjones
Remember that the loom and ECU from a Phase 2 (2001 on) Xsara VTS is no good for use in a 205 as it's multiplexed.

oh shoot, do you have a 6 loom you can sell me anthony? collection around the 3rd of jan? i have a 3 row ecu here, so i just need a loom?

thanks for pointing that out to me.

Anthony

Yep, I should have a couple of spare looms - one from a 306 GTi-6, and one from a Phase 1 Xsara VTS. Got a couple of unlocked ECU's too from the same cars too if you need one (as a 3-row Mi16 or S16 ECU is no good if that's what you've got)

Worth checking what style of exhaust manifold the Xsara has fitted as well, as atleast some Phase 2 models had a manifold that doesn't have a conventional 205 like exhaust flange (like 306 GTi-6 and Phase 1 Xsara VTS do) but instead had a strange setup that has an olive-fit joint, and whilst I've not tried, I'd imagine that trying to adapt a 205 downpipe to fit that would be a nightmare. I have a spare earlier style manifold too if required.

tomcolinjones
Yep, I should have a couple of spare looms - one from a 306 GTi-6, and one from a Phase 1 Xsara VTS. Got a couple of unlocked ECU's too from the same cars too if you need one (as a 3-row Mi16 or S16 ECU is no good if that's what you've got)

Worth checking what style of exhaust manifold the Xsara has fitted as well, as atleast some Phase 2 models had a manifold that doesn't have a conventional 205 like exhaust flange (like 306 GTi-6 and Phase 1 Xsara VTS do) but instead had a strange setup that has an olive-fit joint, and whilst I've not tried, I'd imagine that trying to adapt a 205 downpipe to fit that would be a nightmare. I have a spare earlier style manifold too if required.

super. put me down for a ECU (unlocked) and a loom please, ill have a look at the manifold and see what type it is.

how much for the loom and ecu?

tomcolinjones

Think im going to use the gti6 engine as a whole, and build myself a XU7J4RS for anothertime out of parts around here. so for now i can run the gti6 engine on its own management, and should be plenty quick enough, if only a little heavy.

jord294

how come the ebay ad has your location as hampshire :mellow:

allye

Hang onto the engine until January/Feb then sell, then you'll get more for it, or atleast stand a chance of selling it!

Are you using the VTS gearbox? I need one and will be after one in Jan.

My view on the GTI6/Mi16 engines is the GTI6 has more power and torque which more than over comes the extra weight (I imagine)

From what I'v read they are more reliable and don't need the nuts thrashed off them to get them to go!

Also how come you didn't advertise the engine on here? I'm sure it would sell quicker.

Edited by allye

tomcolinjones
Hang onto the engine until January/Feb then sell, then you'll get more for it, or atleast stand a chance of selling it!

Are you using the VTS gearbox? I need one and will be after one in Jan.

My view on the GTI6/Mi16 engines is the GTI6 has more power and torque which more than over comes the extra weight (I imagine)

From what I'v read they are more reliable and don't need the nuts thrashed off them to get them to go!

Also how come you didn't advertise the engine on here? I'm sure it would sell quicker.

im regretting not selling on hear tbh now, ill see how the auction goes. i have a mi16 gearbox, and 2 vts box's here allye, but i intend to use them to make up some 1.9 be3 boxes with 4.43 cwp.

i agree with the power overcoming the weight, i was all up for the alloy block until i found out how much aftermarket ecu was going to cost me, and the xsara goes realy well as it is, with the vts box and all the cars weight, so with a c/ratio box and in a little 205 i think it will be grins all round!

the boxes arent going anywhere for a while, so if i decide to only do 2 c/r jobbies i guess il keep u in first refusal!

allye

All sounds very good.

We can join the rare TU-XU club :mellow:

And as far as I am aware there are only 2 other GTI6 Rallyes about, GTI6boy has broken his now as well!

tomcolinjones
We can join the rare TU-XU club :mellow:

we should! i think the tu3s-xu10j4rs club sounds a little more exclusive tho!

are you planning on using the standard vts box allye?

allye
we should! i think the tu3s-xu10j4rs club sounds a little more exclusive tho!

are you planning on using the standard vts box allye?

:mellow: Yer well TU3-s engines are for men who can't handle the the heavy iron of a Rallye TU3.2 B)

tomcolinjones

so ure going from one iron block to another one, bet theres hardly any weight difference there! infact, the xu10j4rs may be a little lighter!

oh. if any one is reading. my TU3-s engine is still for sale

allye
so ure going from one iron block to another one, bet theres hardly any weight difference there! infact, the xu10j4rs may be a little lighter!

oh. if any one is reading. my TU3-s engine is still for sale

Yer, to be fair the iron block engine I had was a decent one and gave me 10,000 trouble free miles.

From what I'v read iron blocks are more hardy! A GTI6 engine is def heavier than a TU3 iron block though.

tomcolinjones
Yer, to be fair the iron block engine I had was a decent one and gave me 10,000 trouble free miles.

From what I'v read iron blocks are more hardy! A GTI6 engine is def heavier than a TU3 iron block though.

ye, was a little exageration goin on pal. ive got a vts box here for you, with your name on it, in the shed.